Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard several things about when to change the oil after break in. Some people say after the first 500 miles. So, I went down to my local dealer and he said to wait till 3000 miles. Is this correct? Any information would be great! :guiness:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
It's all correct, just a matter of feelings on it all, mine i did at 512 mi's and went a heavier wgt. Tons of posts on this subject........

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I did my first one at 500 miles. Then follow up with 3000 mile intervals.

I believe in better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am one of the "other" views. I will change mine at around 2000 miles and only because I am taking it down to Corvetteforum's Cruise-in 3, and I expect to put well over 5000 miles on it on this trip. If I wasn't going on this trip, I would do it at 3000 miles, then again every 5000 miles. Changing it at 500 miles and every 3000- cheap insurance???? I don't agree. I have had too many C-5's, and too many cars that have run forever with no oil consumption problems. Hey, it's your money, if you want to spend it on synthetic oil every two months, go for it.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Changed mine at 1100 miles. Then had the dealer change it at 3000 just to get it on the books for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Bought my Z used with 800 miles. Drove it home 1000 miles and then changed it at 2000, then at 8000. Will change it at 7500 from now on. From what I hear Mobil 1 used to recommend 25k between oil changes (filters more than that) I guess they where loosing too much money back then.

BMW recommends 15k or every year from my brothers X5 4.4. The filters on our 540/740 are large. I change them at 7500 miles also w/ Mobil 1. the 740 has 145k miles and I have had the oil pan and valve covers off for gasket changes @ 125k or so. Everything was clean inside as far as I could see. The oil was changed every 10k before we bought the car when it had 92k then.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Changed mine at 1,200 because it was going into storage and was quite amazed at how dirty it was. It's good to get the break-in stuff out as soon as the car is broken in and then you can wait longer on the following ones. Mine has only had one oil change because it is still covered up for the winter. Come on Spring! :cool:

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a personal rule of thumb, depending on the type of oil. Non-synthetics, oil & filter change every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Full synthetics, oil and filter every 7500 miles or when the change oil light illuminates, or 6 months whichever comes first. With the new oil monitoring system on the Vette, I'll probably modify my change oil schedule to 25% oil life remaining as the time I change the oil & filter.
I think this puts me in the ballpark of being reasonable about engine care VS wasting resources / $$$$.
I plan on using Mobil 1, and the standard PF44 filter. Always had great experience with genuine AC delco products, and in my mind I can't justify the extra $$$ for the UPF44. If Wal-Mart carried it for a reasonable price I would probably use it.
I used Mobil1 5W-30 and the standard PF52 filter on my last two Corvettes; at trade-in time my 93 had over 146,000 miles, and you could see how clean the top of the heads were through the oil filler hole, and I never had to top it off between changes, level remained constant.
What do you do with your drain oil? :guiness:
Stan

·
Registered
373 Posts
My first oil change was at app 1600 miles. (having way too much fun to do it any earlier) I was under the car when the Toyota technician changed the factory fill Mobil One oil and filter and the drained oil looked like it came just out of a new bottle. My next change was at 11,600 miles and will change it next at 25000-26600 miles. I use Mobil One 5w-30 or 10w-30 and the AC Delco PF-44 oil filter.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I changed the oil at 3600 miles, after picking up the Z from Loganville, GA and driving it back to SF,CA. I'm scheduled for another one in another 500 miles, that's 6.6k miles and 2 oil changes in 1 month! I don't see this as a reoccurring event for awhile.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I use the oil change interval feature on the DIC. This is excellent technology that everyone seems to blow off. It tells you when to change it based on factual information about the way you drive. Not an arbitrary number designed to make Jiffy Lube rich. I've used Mobile 1 in my truck since it was new and have subjected that engine to more stress than my Z will ever see. I changed the oil every 5000 miles and with 150k miles on it now, it still pulls llike a freight train.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts