Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a '03 ZO6 (23k mi./$33k/Blk/Blk). Need to lower it (will a GM dealer do the 3/4 inch drop?), obtain a better air box (suggestions for after market), new pads are needed (I'm a track DE instructor), want a aggressive but not too noisy street/track pad and need track tires (would like to buy a nice set of street wheels/tires also, any for sale?), do you guys prefer Hoosiers or Mich. sport cups (preferred sizes over stock?). Stock orig. tires are gone (front and rear) at 23k miles, is this about normal?Exhaust will follow, where do you get GHL's from? Know it's alot of questions, but pick one and have at it, guys! Coming from 10 years of Porsche's, I'm ready for my $$$ to go farther!!!!!!!! Glad to be here and WHAT A CAR!!!!! Drove a new (stock) Porsche twin turbo at Gingerman (Mi.) last year and then drove a new (stock) ZO6 back to back for ten laps each. The lap times were with :thumb: in 1/2 second (1:37 vs. 1:37.5) of each other. Made me a beliver ($50k vs. $110k) and now a OWNER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
welcome :z:

Im pretty sure you can lower yourself in less then an hour on the stock bolts, It will be around 3/4 inch and give you better handling.

as for the air intake there are alot of choices but the most noticeable in acceleration gaing is the one have 'Vararam' or Halltechs Trap intake. There are cheaper and effective ones at your choice.

for brake pads, Im at 20k miles now and by them squealing more now I think their telling me they need replacement, there are alot of quiet pads but are less effictive and there are alot better performing brake pads but noisier, I dont know which one meets your goals of performance and less squealing but if anyone know I wanna know for me too, Let me know what you end up with :pp:

Im a Porsche fan as well and I like the way we can own a straight competitor on the straights and twisties for over 2 times less money :yeadog: on the looks department you cant beat it either, I had my Z06 next to a brand new 911 Turbo Cabriolet last Sunday,and my 3 year old car still looked better IMO :thumb:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For wheels, watch the for sale section. A set shows up every few days.

Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
There are threads here you can search on each of your questions ... and you can then follow up with those that parallel your objectives. :idea:
Appears there is "seat time" ahead in the Z :D
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome. Gingerman is a great track. Hope to get back there this season.
LOWERING--search for a thread here for a how-to. Quite simple. Get it aligned after the vehicle settles.
BETTER AIRBOX--runs the gamut here. I've got a Halltech Stinger and have used a Donaldson Blackwing. Plenty of others that do the job.
BRAKE PADS--depends on how much street driving you do. I do very little and can put up with the dust and noise of the Hawk HP Plus pads. Plenty of other suggestions on this forum, inlcuding even more aggressive pads.
TIRES--best bang for the buck are Kumhos, based on experience and comments on this forum. I've got the Kumho Victoracers and have been happy with them at track and autocrosses. The new Kumhos (Ecsta V710) are suppose to be better yet. Next purchase for me when the Victoracers wear out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just got Kuhmo Ecsta tires amd love them!

For intake, there is a system called vortex. It forces in air like the Vararam, but it is much easier to install, less expensive, and of better build quality. (Many have had issues with the vararam) Plus, I live in rainy Jax, FL and my car is a daily driver, and I have had no issues with intaking water.

GHL can be found at L.AP.D. , their link is on your left. I would also recommend my exhaust, B&B Bullets. They are the loudest and deepest you can get short of a straight-pipe system with no mufflers or resonators. They are also inexpensive. Got mine for $560 shipped from Corvette Garage. No experience with GHL's, but a few guys here have them and swear by them.

Congrats on the new ride!

:z:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw the recommendation for the tires-seems like all are in agreement the Kuhmos are the best. I have an 04 Z nd I find the inside of the front tires are warn (to the next layer) at 14,000 miles and right side has a small cupping close together in the same area. The roads here full of hard turns in the hills, good pavement (when dry-it does rain a lot) and few people, which translates into a lot of fun driving. Maybe the dealer is right and I drive a bit faster than most. Still seems like the original Goodyears would last longer.
I would appreciate any feedback about going through a set of tires this quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts