Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Newbie needs some help!!!

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  H-Town Speed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a few questions on behalf of my sister who is thinking about buying her boyfriend's father's 2001 Z06. The vin is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Does this mean that this is production #415? If so can this car potentially have the oil consumption problem being an early production # car? The owner states that he never received any info about this issue. Is there a way to check the vin for warranty work/issues without having to go to the local dealership? My sister really wants this car but she just wants to make sure that it doesn't have any issues.

Thanks in advance,

H-Town Speed.

#2 ·
H-Town Speed said:
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a few questions on behalf of my sister who is thinking about buying her boyfriend's father's 2001 Z06. The vin is G1YY12S015110415. Does this mean that this is production #415? If so can this car potentially have the oil consumption problem being an early production # car? The owner states that he never received any info about this issue. Is there a way to check the vin for warranty work/issues without having to go to the local dealership? My sister really wants this car but she just wants to make sure that it doesn't have any issues.

Thanks in advance,

H-Town Speed.
Try a search on the oil thing. I have seen post from Itl Go and DJ Worm on this subject. Look under the tech section as well. Is it still under warranty? If so she can get the work done to fix this under a technical bulletin that is out on the early Z's. Good luck on your search. I'm sure the other guys who know this stuff pretty well will chime in. Welcome to the site. :cheers:

#3 ·
Someone here could probably run the VIN for you and find out about the car.
Good luck with it.

#4 ·
H-Town Speed said:
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a few questions on behalf of my sister who is thinking about buying her boyfriend's father's 2001 Z06. The vin is G1YY12S015110415. Does this mean that this is production #415? If so can this car potentially have the oil consumption problem being an early production # car? The owner states that he never received any info about this issue. Is there a way to check the vin for warranty work/issues without having to go to the local dealership? My sister really wants this car but she just wants to make sure that it doesn't have any issues.

Thanks in advance,

H-Town Speed.
It means it was 10,415 off the line
A lot depends on mileage, condition and PRICE
see attached thread. :z:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61257&highlight=oil
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77006&highlight=difference+2001

#6 ·
2MchFun said:
Someone here could probably run the VIN for you and find out about the car.
Good luck with it.
That would be awesome if someone could do that for me. As far as taking it to the dealer to have the oil problem fixed, I don't think that would fly with my sis. She had pretty much made up her mind that she was going to buy a loaded 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe, then her boyfriend told her that his dad was selling his Z06 for alot less money than the G35 would cost her and she started to get really excited about it. She asked me to research any possible problems with that specific year car. I am already gettin someone to run me a Carfax report just to make sure everything is ok on that front. I just don't want my sister to get stuck with a potential problematic car.

H-Town Speed.

#7 ·
fastlightning said:
send me your email and I'll send you some stuff

Peter
This is cool of you Peter and thanks again for sending me stuff on my dads Caddy purchase. You might want to take down the vin number after Peter sends you the info. We had a long thread on this some time ago. Do not want to make it easy for car thieves to get your sisters potential new car. :cheers:

#10 ·
IT L GO said:
IMO your sister will be happier with the 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe. :cheers:
I was going to say the same thing but did not want to get shot at or flamed. I think the G35 has a better repair history according to Consumer reports. Buying one is not the only hard part keeping one, maintaining one, and the insurance side is probably more as well then the G35

#12 ·
dwjZ06 said:
I was going to say the same thing but did not want to get shot at or flamed. I think the G35 has a better repair history according to Consumer reports. Buying one is not the only hard part keeping one, maintaining one, and the insurance side is probably more as well then the G35

Well my sister has a 96 Mustang for daily commuting. The Z would be her "toy". As far as the insurance goes, the Z will cost her a whopping $16 more every six months.

#13 ·
H-Town Speed said:
Well my sister has a 96 Mustang for daily commuting. The Z would be her "toy". As far as the insurance goes, the Z will cost her a whopping $16 more every six months.
Sweet deal on the insurance. Good car for a toy she will love the jump in power. I drove the G35 and the 350Z nice cars for daily drivers. :thumb:

#14 ·
Thanks to everyone for all your help and input. My sister is buying the car on Monday. Her boyfriends dad(the seller) said that she could have it starting this weekend, but she wants to wait until she gives him the money for the car and until she finalizes all the insurance stuff. She promised to take me for a ride in it next week. WooHoo. :pp: :D

#15 ·
H-Town Speed said:
Thanks to everyone for all your help and input. My sister is buying the car on Monday. Her boyfriends dad(the seller) said that she could have it starting this weekend, but she wants to wait until she gives him the money for the car and until she finalizes all the insurance stuff. She promised to take me for a ride in it next week. WooHoo. :pp: :D
Keep us posted on how she likes it. How did the repair/service history checkout, Re-ring etc? Tell your Sister about our Forum and tell her to join up. :z: :z:

#17 ·
IT L GO said:
Keep us posted on how she likes it. How did the repair/service history checkout, Re-ring etc? Tell your Sister about our Forum and tell her to join up. :z: :z:

The repair history didn't show any re-ring repairs done to it. Just some miscellanious stuff, the biggest being:

K2764 - REAR HOUSING/SEALER - R&R OR REPLACE
N2893 - RELAY - HORN - REPLACE
H1220 - BOOSTER ASSEMBLY, VACUUM POWER BRAKE - REPLACE

My sister says that the car is immaculate with only 7900 miles on the odometer. The owner, who she totally trusts, states that the car has never given him any problems regarding oil consumption. I guess it's gonna really depend on how my sister drives. But she doesn't really expect to get caught in alot of sustained high rpm one gear driving, like in rush hour, since this will be her weekend/traveling out of town toy. I'll tell her to join the site. Once again thank all of you for your help in getting her into this car. Apparently, she always wanted a Corvette, but when she went to go look at the C5's she thought they were kind of plain looking on the inside. Well on this Z06, she really liked the embroidered seats and it also helped that the owner had some stuff done to the inside like aftermarket shifter and some other accents that she says really dressed up the interior. This really helped sway her decision. It probably also helped that she got the car for 31k, about 7k less than she was going to pay for the 2006 G35 Coupe. Plus she doesn't have to wait. :pp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.