Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I am in the market for my first Corvette - an '02 or newer Z06. I looked at one today at a dealership in my area. It's a red '04 w/black interior and around 7500 miles. They are asking $38,9XX for the car, which seemed pretty reasonable for less than one year old. However, when I ran a Carfax report, it showed it had been involved in an accident. According to the salesman, it was only minor damage, "just paint work". I looked closely at the car and couldn't see any signs of damage or repainting etc. and it drove straight and smooth. I am fairly confident it was only minor damage. My question is how much should damage history affect the price of the car? Is $39,000 a reasonable price and how would it affect resale down the road? Obviously it matters to me, so I assume the next owner will be concerned about it as well. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Price is not bad, you can probably talk them down some. I wouldn't trust Mr. "just paint work" as far as I could throw him. Surly you can find out more information on what was done to the car. Does Carfax tell you who did the work? If so give them a call. If not, I would pass. You don't know what kind of trouble you are buying. Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
If it were me I would keep looking unless you can find out who repaired the car. A dealer might tell you anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We left the deal open. I told the dealer I wanted to think about it, and get some advice. He is supposed to call Monday and let me know where the repair work was done so I can call and check it out. I always buy with resale in mind and that is my main concern. Any idea the hit you would take on say an '02 that had been superficially damaged and repaired to like new?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z: ... patience and good luck in your quest.
IMO , continue your search ... patience and you will find the pristine Z that $39 k will buy :yeadog:
...get independent inspection if you pursue this car ...even if you talk to repair shop. Get on lift and look underneath for signs of contact ... and oh yeah ... may as well check the diff for any seeps ... common and warranty-covered instance.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Unless I saw pictures or knew the car I wouldn't touch it, and probably not even then. Why buy one previously damaged with a bad report on it, when, for the same $$, you can get a garage queen.

There are lots of cars out there.

JMHO

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll continue looking until the right one comes along - hopfully sooner than later. But I think you all are right. When you're talking that amount of money it should be a perfect, no excuses type of vehicle that you don't have to worry about future or repair headaches. It's just so [email protected] hard to wait when you get that close. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Unless I saw pictures or knew the car I wouldn't touch it, and probably not even then. Why buy one previously damaged with a bad report on it, when, for the same $$, you can get a garage queen.

There are lots of cars out there.

JMHO

Joe
Agree with Joe, Patience is the key word though. Just do your homework and keep looking. A lot of pristine examples in that price range to be had.
Good luck on your search and welcome aboard the best site for info and great people.:z:

Jack

·
Registered
167 Posts
I must agree with everyone elso on this subject wait you will find one I speak from recent experience i started looking in february and got one in may millenium yellow zo6 mod red interior 34,300 4,500 miles on it the car is in brand new condition just have patience and check the for sale section on this site every single day twice a day thats how I found mine and good luck :yeadog:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts