Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

so, my rear tires are pretty much finished, i have a new set on order, and will be installed next week.

I guess i want to have some fun, and finish off the rears.

I haven't attempted to do a burn out at all (i have had the car only 3 days)

so what is the best method, drop clutch in 2nd gear? is that do-able?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
My two cents. Why would you want to abuse your car like that. Our drive trains are fragile enough with doing unnecessary burnouts. :-?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Burn Outs = $$$!!! :NoNo:

·
Registered
596 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
Hi all

so, my rear tires are pretty much finished, i have a new set on order, and will be installed next week.

I guess i want to have some fun, and finish off the rears.

I haven't attempted to do a burn out at all (i have had the car only 3 days)

so what is the best method, drop clutch in 2nd gear? is that do-able?
You can send me your tires and I will take them to the track and do a few burnouts if you want to finish off the rears :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mean in any way to abuse my car, I didn't think that a simple drop clutch, and lighting up the tires would do that much damage, as opposed to doing 1/4mile runs using slip clutch technique.

I just thought that since my rear tires are totally bald, I might as well try to do a burn out at least *once* in my life. This is the first *real* sports car I have owned, all my past cars were front wheel drive imports, with high HP but NO torque.

anyway, I will forget about doing a burn out. I will just down load videos of other guys doing it, and just knowing the fact that my car can do the same thing is good enough for me! hehe..later

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
seriously no one here does burnouts? lol
One of two ways will work just fine, bringing the rps up like suggested or even just in first gear (esp with balding tires) lay into the gas at a low speed with the clutch fully engaged. I say burn the tires have a little fun. Maybe even throw in a fishtale or something....
Brian

·
21,351 Posts
Disengage Traction Control. Put in first, rev engine to about 3500 rpm and at the same time release the clutch. Once you start spinning, lightly apply the brake to keep from rolling forward. Smoke em as long as you see fit! Enjoy.

PS. I've never smoked my tires, I've just read a lot about how it's done. I would never abuse my car like that! :lol:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
jub jub said:
Disengage Traction Control. Put in first, rev engine to about 3500 rpm and at the same time release the clutch. Once you start spinning, lightly apply the brake to keep from rolling forward. Smoke em as long as you see fit! Enjoy.

PS. I've never smoked my tires, I've just read a lot about how it's done. I would never abuse my car like that! :lol:
:D If you do it on concrete, it is harder. Try it on smooth asphalt first.

http://performin.homeip.net/videos/burnout.mov

·
Registered
166 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
anyway, I will forget about doing a burn out. I will just down load videos of other guys doing it, and just knowing the fact that my car can do the same thing is good enough for me! hehe..later
Why in the hell have this car if you don't do an occasional burnout?????? If you can't have a little fun you might as well drive a civic!! Manny - rev the thing up to to a decent rpm (4,ooo or so) drop the clutch, and have fun! :thumb: Give yourself plenty of room, especially with bald tires, the car will tend to whip the ass end around and if you are not used to it you can wind up in ditch. Or actually just turn the the wheel hard to the left and nail it, it will spin around in circles and you will have your first "donut". :z: (feather the throttle, keeping the rpm's at about the 3-4k mark doing both) The little button on the console will need to be pressed for the best results as well (the one with the car and burnout marks). And be carefull with those bald tires, this car will break the back end loose in three gears without decent rubber :eek:o:

·
Registered
307 Posts
If it starts to "wheel hop" back off immediatly! Or parts will fall out the bottom of the car. I don't like the "dump the clutch" method. I prefer having the clutch fully engaged, stomping the gas, then use a little brake to control your speed, and the length of the burnout. This is easier on the drive train than dumping the clutch. Broken drive train parts are expensive.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
I don't mean in any way to abuse my car, I didn't think that a simple drop clutch, and lighting up the tires would do that much damage, as opposed to doing 1/4mile runs using slip clutch technique.

I just thought that since my rear tires are totally bald, I might as well try to do a burn out at least *once* in my life. This is the first *real* sports car I have owned, all my past cars were front wheel drive imports, with high HP but NO torque.

I dont know about anybody elses, But mine with 20k miles, 90% of those miles are either burnouts, full throddle, or a 2nd gear Fish tailin,

I asnt hurt anything on my car other then replacing tires at 18k miles, and only the rear, Its worth every penny two...

the Z06 is a hard car to do a burnout because weight distribution and the brakes are really good, so power braking usually is a hard because it stops the wheels from spinning...

so this is what to do, drop the clutch and when and only when you get a good spinning, hit the brakes so your nose dipps and the weight is shifted away from the rears, then It will be endless :D

the most thing a burnout can do is if you hold it for too long, but nobody wants that anyway because all that smoke, I say do various burnouts and some donuts and some fishtails on the side, It aint going to hurt a much, a longer powerbrake burnout might overheat the motor because there wont be enough air to the motor, and the motor wasnt built to rev for a LOOOOOONG time in one spot, but it WAS built for everything else :coo:

be safe and make sure you have fun doing it :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
how about a reccomendation regarding launch technique for autoX. i may have screwed the pooch on my regular ride and i have an event this weekend. i really need to make time to do the cags defeat i have been wanting to do.

i am guessing one would not drop the clutch so much as power off the line. but i don't know. thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I remember seeing a video on here of another type of car that wanted to finish the dead tires. He ended up hitting a tree. Actually, it was his friend because he didn't know how to burn out either.

I also learned a lesson in my 01 coupe. I was at a little store and wanted to peel out for some people. I reved it up and popped the clutch. The next thing I knew, I was facing the other way. Luckily I didn't hit anything.

So if you decide to do it, take the earlier advice about find a good open area. Especially free of trees!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If your rear tires are already low on tread, it doesn't take much to light up the tires. You do not even need to "dump" the clutch at high RPMs which is the most abusive much like drag racing.

Heck, I could light em up while rolling in first gear just by getting heavy on the gas pedal and that was with new tires. Since I never drag raced, I never "dumped" the clutch at high RPMs. But I had done a few good burn outs. You can also "turn and park" your car pretty easy too. Just turn the steering wheel and hit the gas. The back end will whip around pretty darn easy.

As Norman mentioned, it is a little tougher on concrete as opposed to sealed asphault.

Don

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the info guys. Well, my rear tires are sooo bald, i don't even have to dump the clutch. Actually, if i am just cruising in 2nd gear, at 2000rpm, and floor it, the rear end breaks loose! I can even loose the rear end rolling at like 60mph in 3rd gear, and floor it! its crazy/dangerous, but I have been driving careful. I should be getting my tires today, and bringing the Z for the tire change tomorrow. So tonight, i will be attempting my burn outs and whatever. I think I will just try it out in an empty parking lot. I want to attempt at least to do a donut, and going sideways a bit. Nothing excessively crazy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts