Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched on this topic, but I have just a few quick questions. I have read several raves about the NGK TR55. An i have decided to go with these. The only question i have is which version of the TR55 does everyone go with, or which is best to go with.
TR55 (Vpower Groove Plug)
TR55gp (platinum plug)
TR55ix ( iridium plug)

They also have another NGK
PZTR5A-15 (oe style laser platinum)

Which one is the best for a stock Z (I will be modding in the future)?
Also are the accel 8.8 mm wires good or which wires would be best. And no i do not ever listen to AM radio.
:cheers:
Thanks in advance.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
stock delco wires are best.

plug choice depends on how you want to mod the car. If you go with any sort of boost or juice down the road you'll want a colder plug. (in this case a NGK TR6, bigger number colder plug)

My personal opinion is that platinum plugs absolutely suck, and plugs aren't all that hard to swap on our Z's I'd go with a regular ngk TR55 for now (copper plugs) because coppers are good for 20K miles and I'd honestly rather keep throwing 2 dollar plugs at the car more often, than hoping to get 4x's the lifespan out of platinums at 8 a plug. I'm also a lil insane with my vehicle maitenence as well. My vette is on its second set of plugs, 5th or 6th oil change and it only has about 14K miles on it. My truck I change the plugs in every 3K miles or so, oil changes every 2K and I use synthetic, but my theory is, if you're gonna push a machine hard you better be on top of it maitenence wise and checkup wise to make sure it lasts.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I run NGK TR55's (cheap ones?) and MSD 8.5 SC wires and have had absolutely no problems what so ever. I agree with undertaker, platnium plugs suck! They cost more and dont last as long. Go with an affordable set-up. You can spend $300 or $400 for some Nalogy Hotwires and Beru plugs and you will have no different performance gain's than someone running a $60 set up unless you plan on modding the crap out of your car. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
TR55 and the stock wires are all you need

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the answers. That may just save me a little money as well. I can use that to buy the beer while I am working on it. :cheers: I am planning on taking her to the Beech Bend drag strip next weekend just to see what i can do stock. Then start with some small mods. And try to keep track of how the improvements are. Thanks again. This is the best Forum!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree. Go with the TR 55s.

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts