Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Costco fills its tire's with nitrogen :z:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yep, I got my own Nitrogen bottle and regulator.

1. Virtually no loss of tire pressure. Air disappears at the rate of approx. 1 pound per month. It's a safety issue. In 6 months your tires are down 6 lbs. and in a year it's 12 lbs.....unless you check your tires all the time.

Air is about 2/3rds nitrogen. The nitrogen molecules are larger than O2 and have a hard time leaking out.

2. Since there is no H2O in nitrogen, tire pressures are much more stable, especially at the track. It's the water in air that heats up and causes expansion. If your a serious track guy, you use nitrogen.

You can get your own bottle and regulator for about $200.00. Costs about $20.00 to refill the bottle. Small bottle will fill about 12 tires.

Only caution is don't drop the bottle. It's under 3,000-5,000 lbs/ sq. in. pressure and if the neck breaks off you've got a rocket ship on your hands. I bought a cradle and store it horizontially and treat it with lotsa respect when moving it from one side of a car to the other. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so it's not flammabe or explosive.

All my cars have nitrogen in their tires :yeadog:

:guiness:

·
Registered
104 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
Yep, I got my own Nitrogen bottle and regulator.

1. Virtually no loss of tire pressure. Air disappears at the rate of approx. 1 pound per month. It's a safety issue. In 6 months your tires are down 6 lbs. and in a year it's 12 lbs.....unless you check your tires all the time.

Air is about 2/3rds nitrogen. The nitrogen molecules are larger than O2 and have a hard time leaking out.

2. Since there is no H2O in nitrogen, tire pressures are much more stable, especially at the track. It's the water in air that heats up and causes expansion. If your a serious track guy, you use nitrogen.

You can get your own bottle and regulator for about $200.00. Costs about $20.00 to refill the bottle. Small bottle will fill about 12 tires.

Only caution is don't drop the bottle. It's under 3,000-5,000 lbs/ sq. in. pressure and if the neck breaks off you've got a rocket ship on your hands. I bought a cradle and store it horizontially and treat it with lotsa respect when moving it from one side of a car to the other. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so it's not flammabe or explosive.

All my cars have nitrogen in their tires :yeadog:

:guiness:
Where did you get your bottle and regulator and how big is it?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I asked Dick Guldstrand and was informed of a local place in Burbank called "Airgas."

Look in your yellow pages or online for a local welding supplies store. They will have the the bottle and the regulator.

The tank is 26' long and 7' in diameter.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts