Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they mount the Nitrous bottle in a Corvette that it would not become a projectile in a violent crash?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Z06_2002 said:
How do they mount the Nitrous bottle in a Corvette that it would not become a projectile in a violent crash?
I was going to mount one to my harness bar. That way I would not need a remote opener and I could do it by hand. The harness bar is as secure as it gets, just be sure to have good strong brackets holding the tank to the bar.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Nitrous Bottle and Safety

jnation said:

I was going to mount one to my harness bar. That way I would not need a remote opener and I could do it by hand. The harness bar is as secure as it gets, just be sure to have good strong brackets holding the tank to the bar.
Excellent, that sounds very secure. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Harness bar is clearly the most stable place to attach either a Nitrous or Fire Bottle that I can figure?:-? ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good point guys.

Let me pass this little bit of information around, just so some of the guys out there know just how dangerous a bottle can be.

First off the pop off valve. There are planty of pics on the web from guys who have blown the pop-off valve on their bottle. This happens when the bottle pressure gets too high.

Many poor boy racers heat their bottles with a propane torch, and the pressure gets too high, and then the pop off valve goes.

Well, instead of a new safety they put a penny or a nickel in place. The problem is, the bottles fails before the penny or the dime does. There are plenty of pictures showing cars with the sides blown off. When a bottles blows, it is like a bomb going off. It can destroy the car and the garage, and you if you aren't careful.

One of the big culprits of bottle failures is when a bottle heater malfunctions. The thermostat doesn't work, or it gets left on, and that combined with a bad pop off valves leads to your bottle blowing up in your car about 3AM one night.

As you said, the other big problem is loose bottles. I have seen guys just leave bottles lying loose, or propped up on a piece of wood, or whatever is handy.

A bottle is a projectile which when flying loose can kill you GRAVEYARD DEAD. Here is a little story just to highlight my point.

Mark Whitt was a racer from the Baytown area. He was also one of the the owners of Whitt Marine. Which is one of the biggest bay boat outfitters in the Houston area. Mark had a green 90 model C4, a couple of Chevy Pickups, a Jerry Haas ProStock/ProMod Beretta, and a 67 Nova for Street racing.

Both of Mark's cars used a ton of gas. And, both were very fast repsectively.The Bereeta ran [email protected] and the Nova has run 9.80s with a 383 and a single plate.

Anyhow, the importane stuff. Mark was coming home one night. By some reports he was arguing with his girlfriend. Someone (some reports say his girlfriend) ran him off the road and into a ditch. He hit a concrete culvert. Unfortunately he was driving an extended cab pickup and had one of his Nirtrous bottles laying in the jumpseat.

The impact threw him forward, and the nitrous bottle came forward and the valve hit him squarely in the back of the head. This also drove his head forward into the top part of the windshield frame. His skull was fractured from just over his eyebrows all the way around to just over both ears, and then the fracture ran straight up from his ears on both sides till it met at the top of his head. So, if you can imagine basically half of the area covered by a ball cap is one separate piece. And you have a hole in the back of your head, about 2" in diameter.

Mark spent the next year going from ICU at Herman hospital to a hospice where his parents finally had to withold feeding to allow him to die. All higher brain functions were gone, and just the autonomic functions were still intact.

I pass this story along so that you take mounting your bottles in car the car seriously. Its one thing to put it ina trunk. If it gets loose there is still a wall between it and you. Inside our cars, it can become a missle that will end you or a passengers life in a most hideous fashion.

A 20lbs bottle at traveling 100mph is a deadly missle, and should be treated with alot of respect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts