Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing my NX kit this weekend along with all of the extras. Just wanted to know any tips and tricks for any of it. Such as mounting the bottle, installing the switch panel, positioning the nozzle, ect... Anything would be greatly appreciated. What should I be prepared for that I wont read in the instructions? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
-Russ

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
make sure you have a wot switch and a window switch for safety reasons...

the tach wire.. "white" is hard to find..
take your time..
be neat.

and careful

·
Registered
67 Posts
wvphoto said:
make sure you have a wot switch and a window switch for safety reasons...
Very good advice. Can't say enough about having all the proper safety features to avoid the dreaded BOOOOM that is all too common when using Nitrous improperly. Aside from that most problems that occur when installing Nitrous are electrical in nature. Take your time and draw an electrical diagram of your planned setup. Review the wiring diagram several times for errors and then just follow your diagram as you install.

Bottle mounting: Many like to mount the bottle in the center wheel well of their ZO6. Others prefer the deck directly behind the seats. Whichever you chose be very careful about drilling as the gas tanks are directly below (as is the case with mounting on the deck)......Since the fiberglass you will be drilling in is not ideal insofar as holding strength, I would suggest using a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood to mount the bottle on. Cut it to fit its intended mounting location, then gorilla glue it directly onto the fiberglass (under the carpet, of course). You can then mount the bottle directly on the plywood. It makes for a clean appearance and you won't have to drill into your fiberglass....

WOT switch:
You have two choices here; You can either use a mechanical switch under the gas pedal or an electronic switch that taps into your TPS sensor and senses voltage. I much prefer the mechanical switch as I have had (and heard of) problems with the electronic switches not always being able to sense WOT...Again, this is my experience...

Tach sensing wire:
If you use a window switch (highly recommended) you will need to tap into the tach lead. You can find the tach lead at the PCM. Follow this thread for a How-to:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68348&highlight=tach+wire
Alternatively, you can pick up the tack lead under the fuse box directly next to the battery. Follow this link for a How-To:
http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50551&highlight=tach+wire

Bottle Heater:
I would suggest one if you don't already have one as it ensures that your Nitrous psi is always what the manufacturer recommends. Get one that automatically turns on an off by sensing bottle psi as opposed to temperature. Both NX and Dynotune make excellent bottle heaters that sense psi.....

Also, don't forget to use colder plugs. I use NKG-TR6 plugs gapped at 0.35. One last note is my recommendation to get the car tuned afterwards. Although the better manufacturers (NX, TNT, etc) are very good with their jetting insofar as A/F ratio at WOT, each vehicle is different. A tune will ensure that you're not running to rich or lean at WOT, and that you aren't detonating and have to pull some timing....

Hope this helps....

Let me know if you need any more info.....

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
wow..

well said..

i guess mine was the cliff note version ..
LOL

and yes..

a bottle heater..
that was my last purchase.. i did a couple runs.. and then had NO pressure..
you must heat it up .. to get it out..

and the opposite..

you must chill your bottle.. before you have it filled..

a bucket of ice works well

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the replies. Yes, I bought all the accessories, bottle heater, MSD window switch, purge kit, remote bottle opener, switch panel, blow down tube, ect. I already have NGK TR6's in when I did the cam install. Is there any particular place that is good to run the wiring through the firewall? Any other tricks as far as the wiring goes? Thank you for the tip on mounting the bottle, I will be using a piece of wood now, as I like that idea. Also, any advice you can give me on mounting the nozzle in the air inlet? I have a Halltech Stinger intake if that helps. I also bought the Autometer dual pod with N20 gauge and A/F gauge. Any tricks on installing them is also appreciated. THANK YOU AGAIN as ALL help is appreciated. Anything you can think of that might help make the install easier is welcomed.
-Russ

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A good place to go through the firewall is behind the battery next to where the large wire harness goes through. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Running wires:
As someone has already mentioned you can run wires through the firewall beneath the battery. The other alternative is behind the dead pedal. If you take the dead pedal off (2 bolts) there's plenty of room to drill a nice sized hole through the firewall and run all your wires, and your N2O line if you chose to. That's the route i went as this leaves plenty of room for routing additional wires if necessary...

Both the N2O gauge and A/F gauge will mount easily on an A-Pillar pod. You can easily route all necessary wires down the A-Pillar and along the sill plate to the trunk area. Both the A-Pillar and the sill plate moulding can be pulled off rather easily as they require no screws to remove. There's plenty of space to route wires along the sill plate....

Unfortunately I can't help you as to the best place for the N2O nozzle as I have a TNT kit, which mounts the nozzles on a power ring in lieu of the bellows....I will tell you that a dry kit needs to have the nozzle mounted before the MAF, and a wet kit should be mounted after the MAF and just before the throttle plate....

A good place to read up on everything and anything as it pertains to Nitrous is over at www.ls1tech.com in the Nitrous forum. Some great info there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts