Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the possible results of adding a bottle to a SC 2002 ZO6 engine? Just curious. It is never enough.

Jeff Nation

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Jeff,

On a blown or turbo application, the nitrous injection would be primarily to act as a further intercooling agent more than anything else.

The problem is tuning. If you set up a blower/turbo motor right, then you can go plenty fast without injecting nitrous into it, too.

I've seen a number of "low boost" applications (I consider low boost anything below 10psi) with a small shot of nitrous on them, but they go no faster than the guys who throw 14-17psi at their engines.

You will find that the tuning will be different for on and off the bottle usage. This is a royal pain at times if you can't change programs on the fly. You may also find that to effectively run the nitrous you'd need to regap the plugs and run an even colder plug (you'll already be at least one/two heat ranges colder with the blower alone) if you use the nitrous.

The above two things mean that the nitrous really will not be available "on the fly", but would have to be methodically set up to run it at the strip.

IMHO, its not worth it. Run more boost if you need more power...and if you can't run more boost b/c of static CR, then have the CR lowered more so you can run the extra boost. Easier to tune, and it will stay together longer b/c of it. :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
J,

I think its time to lick the stamp and mail the envelope you have really pushed it, or maybe get James bond fold out wings...........

Way cool, go for it......

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Never enough

Jeff. I think your car is going to make more power than your going to be able to use. Can you say " Fry the rear tires?" I don't know what you have driven for fast cars, but your Z should be incredibly fast( and a handfull). :cool:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Are there any adverse effects by shoving that much more air into the engine? What impact does this have on the tranny, cam, rods, etc? Maybe I should ask, about the prolonged effects? I have always wondered? :-? :roll:

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
I can see it now...we're going to have to start a " jnation rear tire fund" :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JN,
What little I know about the Z's and the C5's....would fill a thimble......
That said, i think( MHO) that you are/have modded your ride to a point of which you will in no way be able to get it on the ground now.......
The car stock was capable of 11's.......with good tires.....
I think at the point you are now, it would better serve you to think in terms of SUSPENSION upgrades...........
You are already going to have problems with halfshafts, and output shafts.......
Again, just MHO, I would seek advice from Dan......on WHAT & where to expect problems in these areas.
Maybe you can do some "Preventative", pre-destruction mods.....before you get into the breakage from the get go.
As much time, effort, and $$$$$ as you have invested now.....this to me would seem a very prudent idea......
Again, just IMHO...........
Should be a screamer...............600+........
Now, the game will change to Keeping it together................................can't wait for the finished product!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
JTBear said:
Are there any adverse effects by shoving that much more air into the engine? What impact does this have on the tranny, cam, rods, etc? Maybe I should ask, about the prolonged effects? I have always wondered? :-? :roll:
Fair questions.

My experience with forced induction dates back a decade, and it doesn't matter what brand of car I'm used to working on...the laws of physics and thermodynamics remain the same. ;)

More air into the engine just means the combustion process takes place at a faster rate, thus accelerating the engine quicker and it has the _potential_ to make more power (obviously fuel and spark must be set up to match the extra air intake). The load on the engine itself will be greater, there is no doubt. Great enough to cause problems? That really depends and it is impossible to give a definitive answer.

There are pros/cons to nitrous vs. supercharger vs. turbo. Nitrous is typically pretty hard on the connecting rods, just b/c of the extreme load it puts on the engine when it is engaged at lower rpms. This is one reason you're always told not to hit the nitrous til 3000rpm or higher. Still, it is quite a "hit" compared to a centrifugal blower which builds boost/power gradually...in a more linear fashion with the increase in rpms.

However, the blower takes power to turn and is another "accessory" to side-load the crankshaft with (especially if it has its own seperate belt aside from the regular serpentine belts). This side-loading (i.e.: the belt must be tight in order to efficiently use the supercharger to its potential) is hard on crank bearings. This is fact, not fiction.

These are just two issues. I could get into more.

As far as the transmission/driveline goes...the M12 is a hearty piece. I'd be more apt to say the clutch will fail first with the excessive power. Once you upgrade your clutch, then trans/rear-end failure is more likely. These things were meant for 400hp/400tq (and are probably rated to over 500/500 flywheel numbers), and their life will be shortened. BUT...this is typically a function of how hard you drive your car.

For example...long time ago I had a T5 transmission (Borg-Warner unit...standard issue in Mustangs til '95) that lived a long happy life behind 530+rwhp/510rwtq in a 3400lb car. This transmission was rated at 325ft/lbs of torque. I had an aftermarket clutch in it and everything. I pulled it out and sold it in good working condition after 5 years of the above power being put through it. I am easy on driveline parts.

So don't get too discouraged by increasing the power output of the engine significantly. I think it can be done within reason without causing frequent tear-down/replacement of quality factory parts. But you will find the weakest link eventually. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts