Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freind who has a 99' Camaro SS recently got a nitrous setup installed and I had a chance to check it out. I was unaware of how this setup worked. There are two nitrous solenoids which inject nitrous into his airbox. There is no fuel solenoid. I had a 90' Firebird Formula with nitrous but that sutup was much different. It mounted behind the throttle body and injected both nitrous and fuel and I found this setup to be dangerous on engine life and for detonation purposes. I feel that his system is very safe and it also packed a wicked punch with only a 100 hp shot. After seeing this, I am considering getting NOS for my Z06 because I don't forsee any problems with it damaging the car. Does anyone here have nitrous? Any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
WHY nitrous on a "Z"?????

The cars are alread ythe FASTEST production animals ever built for public consumption..........
AND, to top that off, they "Only", cost most folks a years salary........
With the inevitable results of damage.............sooner or later.......the drivline components are NOT designed for this kind of abuse.......
Look at it this way, when '03/'04 rolls around.......WHO in the name of Tarus Bulba would WANT a car that had been modded & rodded in this way??.
NOT me, or any other person I know........:(
But, hey......it's your $$$$$$;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you use nitrous in your Z, you don't love your Z. Simple as that. Why care if a juiced out SS can beat you in a drag race? Take the cars to a race track with turns and see who wins. You won't need nitrous to beat him, that's for sure. :)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Sounds like he has a dry nitrous kit and yours was a wet system. Typically the wet systems are safer since they do bring a supplemental supply of fuel to the table. Now, one step better is the propane nitrous kit that was developed for Vipers but is now for sale for C5s.

It doesn't sound like there are too many nitrous fans on this board. I have a kit that I bought off my buddy who had it on his 98 SS and it just so happens that it is the same part number as goes on our Zs and C5s. I am trying to resist. It is just sitting out in the garage collecting dust. hahaha

Either way, it is YOUR car and you should enjoy it any way you want. Have at it.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
If you set up your nitrous for "full throttle" only boost, I doubt you will regret your decision. I mean how often do you go "full bore" so nitrous won't do any real long term damage. Even if you like a burst of speed, how long can you possibly hold her wide open. You did the right thing, ask questions and listen for input. Sounds to me like your mind is already made up so hang on, strap in and let us know how it felt :)D ). Bill

·
Registered
396 Posts
Through the N20 on their and go whip his ass. Just dont get greedy with it and you will be fine. check you plugs and make sure you not running lean. You could even get a gauge to montior the A/F ratio. One thing you will need to consider is getting some better tires. Drag radials or Nittos or something. Let us know how it turns out. What system are you looking at? I think TNT has a nice system.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Passing Gas

N20 wakes up the LS1. One of my friends here in Houston had a stock automatic Firebird that ran 11.80s on Mickey Thompson ET streets, and converter and a dry kit. Now it is a head and camshaft car that run that on motor. With gas its going to be 11.2s

Wet kits are better than dry kits period. They allow you to add the fuel up front so that your motor doesn't go lean. That is why dry kits are limited. You are dumping all this oxidizer into the motor with no fuel. The motor goes lean, and then the computer has to compensate. So dry kits have to be small sized. Our LS1 is close to the limit on injectors, so mfg had to take that in consideration too when designing these kits. So, no there isn't going to be one of those big nitrous backfires that blows you hood off.

As I said a wet kit is far superior. Now here is the problem. Many late model manifolds do not lend themselves to keeping fuel in suspension, only air. Our LS1 is an example. So, you can't safely run a wet kit on an LS1. Hence you are stuck with a dry kit.

If I was going to spray the car, I would put a switch on the throttle and the clutch so it comes on at full throttel and cut off when you shift.

But yes, you can spray the pee-pee out of the car, and it will run like an ape with a spotted posterior. There are plenty of late model Camaros and Firebirds who would like nothing better than to put another notch in their gun that they beat the might Z06 even if they have to spray to do it.

I watcha street race about 4 weeks ago in Deer Park with a 2001 EB convertible vs Head and Camshaft Camaro and the Vette put it on him.

Street racing, or racing is all about one thing, winning. And nitrous is just another tool in helping you win...

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
STREET RACING....ABOUT WINNING....

WELL, SINCE I AM AN OLD TIMER.......GASSING A CAR, IS LIKE CHEATING AT CARDS......A NO-NO......
If you can't do it straight up.......then you get there through MECHANICAL mods.............not some exotic chemical....
It's kind of like a woman that looks BOOTIFUL!!!!!...........until the make up comes off.........
Same with NOS.........if you wanna go fast ......fine.........using it in a covert manner is not the gentlmanly thing to do.......of course, this is just my OLD humble arse opinion.....we all have em', and they ALL smell:lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Give her the juice!

Nitrous is cheating... puhlease!!! Is that what you have to say to make yourself feel better when you get beaten!? :p

There are no RULES. If you get beaten, you get beaten, period!

I run an NX wet kit with a 150hp shot on my 01Z with ZERO problems. I have a WOT switch, an activation switch, a fuel pressure safety switch and a window switch which must all be on for the nitrous to come on. This ensures that I am not spraying when I shouldn't be.

One of the big benefits of nitrous is that its only there when you need it. Sure you can add heads and a more aggressive cam, but then you alter the daily drivability of the car. With a nitrous system your car drives as it is stock and then turns in to a monster when you hit it. There isn't anything else short of a stroker/turbo/SC conversion that will give you the power of N2O.

JMHO of course! :D

Oh, one last thing. I LOVE my car! :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: Give her the juice!

EvilZ06 said:
I run an NX wet kit with a 150hp shot on my 01Z with ZERO problems. I have a WOT switch, an activation switch, a fuel pressure safety switch and a window switch which must all be on for the nitrous to come on. This ensures that I am not spraying when I shouldn't be.
I for one would be very interested in seeing your setup. Not that I am going to do nitrous. Do you have any pix?? Just sounds interesting to me. :cool:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
EVIL.......

There are NO rules????????/
Go to the track, and see if there are no rules.......if your talking STREET......I do not, and will not race on the public streets.......it's not kosher.........
Also, it's Vewwwy.....dangurus:D :D :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Frank- I don't have any pics, but I'll see if I can get some for you. :)

Z06LS6- I don't spray on the street (except very occasionally to test the setup). I agree, most of the time its too dangerous.

I got the N2O mainly for running down the 1/4mile. I drive my car every day but I wanted to run some fast times at the strip as well.

YES, there are rules, of course. I'm talking about running heads up against another car on the strip for bragging rights about who has the fastest car. It doesn't matter if I'm running a 4 banger with twin turbos, a v8 with nitrous or a SC V6, the only thing that matters is who got there first!

I choose to run N2O because it fits my needs and desires best for me. If I run you in your stock Z in a heads up drag race and I beat you, that doesn't make me a cheat, it makes me a winner!

If using nitrous is cheating then so is everything else. We should all leave our cars stock and run them like that. I don't have the exclusive license to use nitrous. Anyone can (and many do) use it. If you don't then that's your choice. I do and that's mine.

Nuff said! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wet vs Dry kit

I wanted to mention something on the subject of wet vs dry nitrous kits for the LS1/6.

As J-Rod mentioned, in a dry kit you are only spraying N2O and relying on the MAF sensor to tell the computer that there is extra air flow and hope that it can compensate. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that with the stock injectors, and my intake mods (Halltech TRIC/Mag, ported TB) I was already running 20% lean. I REALLY wouldn't trust a dry system on a Z06 UNLESS you switch to larger injectors (which I have now).

Wet kits spray fuel in an amount matched to the amount of nitrous you are using. I don't have any problems with atomisation, I make more power than a dry system, and I am secure in the knowledge that I am NOT relying on the MAF and PCM to guess the correct amount of fuel to add.

Always use a WOT switch and an activation switch at the least so you don't trigger the system by accident.
Use a window switch to set the rpms that the system will come on and switch off. The quickest way to kill an engine is to feed it a big shot of nitrous at low rpm (especially in a high gear).

I have heard of a few cases of engines grenading as a result of nitrous usage. They have all been with dry systems!
There are more wet kits than dry kits available for our cars, that should tell you something.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Evil,

You are absolutely correct in your post. I talked last night with some of my F-Body pals about the kits they were using.

Currently his LS1 with heads and cam by MTI in an automatic car with ET streets is running 11.60s on motor. He has a 55 jet in his dry kit, but has not run it with the head and cam package.

Dyno test have shown he has enough injector on his car to go to a 63 safely.

I talked with him last night about wet vs. dry. I had not been too deep into LS1/LS6 tech until I bought my car recently.

The last time I had discussed gas on late models everyone seemed to be more inclined to go with dry kits. As it had been explained to me the LS1 manifold doesn't seem to do a good job of keeping the fuel from puddling. I had heard of a few manifold explosions.

As I understand it, there are several wet kits out there, they make good power. And from what I have heard from the folks running them, relatively safe.

Here are some pluses and minuses on wet kits vs dry kits.

A dry kit makes your motor go lean until the computer can fatten up the mixture.

A wet kit injects its own fuel with the nitrous so it is not a problem. However if your wet kit's fuel solenoid fails there is a potential for danger as the motor will be very lean.

I have seen a few folks get greedy with their dry kits and burn holes in pistons. Of course the same is true on wet kits. But, I have just seen a couple of folks with dry kits do this recently. But, as I said it wasn't the kits fault, it was the user who went WAYYY to big on jet size.

Let me just give a personal example of what gas can do for a car. 12 years ago my friends and I used to do a lot of streeet racing in the Houston area. One of our cars was a 68 camaro that my friend drove to school every day. It had a 406 SBC with 440 rods and TRW pistons, a 292 comp cam, pocket ported 461 heads, and a Victor Jr. with a 750 vacuum secondary carb. The car on motor ran 12.20s to 11.80s (about what many folks' Z06s run now) with the addition of a 250hp plate on the car, the car ran 10.40s.

Let me just tell you, around my shop we have plenty of pictures of many a street car pulling the tires on just a single plate.

Now, do I understand folks who don't want to run nitrous on their cars. Heck yes I do. Do I understand why many folks feel nitrous is cheating. Of course I do. I'd be mad too if I spent $6K on head and a camshaft on a new Camaro, or the money I spent on my Z06 only to get beat by a bone stock car Camaro with a $200 nitrous system.

Would I be able to beat that car when his bottle goes dry, oh yeah. But, on the street or at the track a win is a win.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
If it's done right nitrous is not going to significantly shorten the life of a well-built engine. Will it need rings and bearings quicker than a stock N/A motor? Sure. Will it need rebuilding quicker than a stock motor that has a cam/heads/intake package that allows one to turn 7000 rpm vs. 6300rpm? It might be a toss-up depending upon how frequently the nitrous is used.

Some of us who live in areas with strict emissions testing (or soon to be...as is my case) do not have an option to do cam/heads. Or if we did, it would have to be a very, very mild package...$$/HP gain just went way up then. :(

I don't run nitrous on any of my current vehicles below, but I have run it on another late model car I had and it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it much after initially tuning it; just at the track, or when someone wanted to play with me. I ran it for 2.5 years and in the last year only used 5 bottles. You won't use it much at all if you have a fast car to begin with (which the Z obviously classifies as a fast car from the factory).

I know that if I do get a Z, it will have nitrous on it within 2-3k miles. These things run too much compression in stock form to slap a blower on there and be effective, and I'm not going to pull the heads off right away. <--plus, I will still have the emissions issue possibly. With a nitrous set up, you never have to worry about emissions.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with "cheating", either. People with blowers aren't called cheaters (at least not like the nitrous crowd). Nitrous gets a bad rap b/c its cheap. That's not the reason I'd install it. I'd install it b/c its _effective_. :D To me, its all about developing a combination that works. High compression and nitrous work great. Building a lower compression motor for a blower/turbo works awesome, too. The point is whatever gets you down the track fast and safe. Nitrous _can_ do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts