Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrous question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend cant keep the pressure down. His GT is hooked up to a wet kit with a bottle heater and a purge. He doesnt use the heater anymore, becuase whenever he arms the bottle the pressure is usually above 1200 and doesnt go down if purged. What seems to be the problem? I've heard about people having problems raising the pressure, but problems lowering the pressure and im clueless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see you're from San Antonio, so I'm assuming your friend is from there too, and that it's fairly hot down there this time of year. The temperature outside can affect bottle pressure; quite simply, if it's hot outside, it's going to heat up the bottle, and then raise the bottle pressure. Does your friend leave the bottle in the car, and then leave the car outside? If so, that could account for it.

Another thought I had was that the pressure guage may be faulty, or reading incorrectly. I'd want to know, does the pressure ever go down? For instance, what happens when the bottle is empty? Does the guage still read 1200psi? If so, then I'd think there's something wrong with the guage, since the bottle pressure couldn't stay at 1200psi forever. The last bottle pressure guage I had was quirky - sometimes I actually had to "flick" the guage itself to get it to "un-stick" and give an accurate reading. The same thing might be happening with your friend's guage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
if the guage still doesn't go down after purging, it's got to be a faulty guage.after all, you know that nitrous is escaping from the bottle if it's shooting out the purge valve.like DR Z06 says outside temps will surely heat a bottle fast [i've had my guage in the red before & had to purge just to get it down to optimum pressure because of the summer heat] the good thing is in the summer you can have bottle pressure immediatley w/o waiting for the bottle warmer to do it's thing! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pressure gauge is functiong properly. I checked it out today and the bottle pressure does go down when he purges but not by much and his bottle is somewhat full therefore i am going to assume its the tempreature outside. I know the car doesnt get parked outside as his car is garaged daily. However, this problem did not happen till it got fairly hot outside. We will see whats up the next few days and i will report back. Thanks for helping guys.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I concur with what has been said about the hot weather. I don't know what color his car is, and it may not matter. My '96 Cobra was black and the bottle in the trunk... after sitting outside for even a couple of hours, I'd see 1300-1400psi easily with a full or near full bottle.

The gauge is not wrong. Do NOT assume the gauge is stuck. It's possible, but unlikely, unless its old and/or of lesser quality. I always run liquid-filled gauges which are typically better.

When I was running nitrous on my Z06, it would not get _that_ high in the sun, but it would still be 1200+ pretty easily. Purge, purge, purge. That's what its for. It will take more than just a little bump of the purge valve, too, if the pressure is very high.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Carry one of the small coolers of ice and keep a wet towel in it. Lay the towel on the bottle and the pressure will drop quickly. You can also keep a few drinks in the bottom of the ice chest... :jawdrop:

·
Registered
390 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
Ricers for supper for me :D
:thumb: they say it's best to eat lite for supper!how's the bottle pressure?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try the NX Fire and Ice, bottle heater and cooler, will keep pressure within 5lb's of what you want automaticaly either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts