Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must report that these tires are fantastic. The grip is so much better than the Toyo Proxe T1-s that were on the car before 295-35-18. I went 305-35-18 on the rear tires this time with the Nitto 555RII extreme autocross tires. ALso reporting that the dealers service was wonderful. Jim Rathman on US1- in Melbourne, Florida really treated me right. They fit me in when there really wasn't room to do so and they did the work quickly. I was only without "GREYSTOKE" for 1 day and 1 night. They have a corvette only service rep and mechanic. They treat you like you own a 55k vehicle, not a 10k vehicle. I was impressed with the work, however, I think I paid a bit too much for the mounting and match balancing of the new tires. I paid $120.00 for the mounting and match balancing of the 2 rear Nittos and $99.00 for the alignment. It is defineitely aligned but it was expensive. I just felt like giving someone props because they really did earn it. NO SCRATHES OR DENTS THAT I CAN ATTRIBUTE TO THEM. JUST FYI. Dr.Bigg :usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
The tires are awesome, indeed.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
I just put my Nittos on the rear today. :thumb:

Discount Tire really treated the car with respect (but I was standing with it when they changed them). Since I bought the Nittos from Discount tire online all they charged me was $16/tire for balancing and no mounting charge.

These tires are quieter than the F1's were. I expected the opposite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats a sweet deal. I wonder how much more sticky the drag radials are? These are truly night and day better than the toyo in terms of traction. I have had no problem in the rain recently either. Dr.Bigg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Dang, we left before the blonde got there!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Had my Nitto 555RII's installed and balanced last weekend for $126 CDN ($100.80 USD). Also bought them from Discount Tire and had them delivered to my sister's home in KY since I was there on vacation during the Fest.

One of the better mods IMHO. Much more quiter vs F1's and huge improvement in lateral grip. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
death traps in the rain?

To the guys who are running these tires, are they viable in the rain or completely useless? I would think as a road race type tire they would produce decent traction in the wet as well?
One more...I am looking to purchase a set of factory size chromed Z06 wheels, are there any problems fitting a 305 on the factory size rim? and does anyone know of a supplier who does wheel/tire combos for the above?

Thanks alot, Noel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
briann510 said:
I just put my Nittos on the rear today. :thumb:

Discount Tire really treated the car with respect (but I was standing with it when they changed them). Since I bought the Nittos from Discount tire online all they charged me was $16/tire for balancing and no mounting charge.

These tires are quieter than the F1's were. I expected the opposite.
The Nittos are quieter because they're a softer tire.

Alex :jammin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
VICIOUS said:
To the guys who are running these tires, are they viable in the rain or completely useless? I would think as a road race type tire they would produce decent traction in the wet as well?
One more...I am looking to purchase a set of factory size chromed Z06 wheels, are there any problems fitting a 305 on the factory size rim? and does anyone know of a supplier who does wheel/tire combos for the above?

Thanks alot, Noel.
The tires don't have much tread depth, so wet traction won't be great. We don't get much rain here so that won't be a problem.

305's are not a problem. The combo you're looking for is: 275/40/17 & 305/35/18.

Supplier: www.discounttiredirect.com

Alex :guiness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
The Nittos are quieter because they're a softer tire.

Alex :jammin:
I was expecting them to be picking up more small rocks and crap since they are a bit stickier, at least thats what people were telling me. I cant tell any difference in that reguard.

I havnt changed the fronts yet as they still have 6/32 left of tread on the F1's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
VICIOUS said:
To the guys who are running these tires, are they viable in the rain or completely useless? I would think as a road race type tire they would produce decent traction in the wet as well?
One more...I am looking to purchase a set of factory size chromed Z06 wheels, are there any problems fitting a 305 on the factory size rim? and does anyone know of a supplier who does wheel/tire combos for the above?

Thanks alot, Noel.
when they're new the wet traction is marginal. after they get run down a bit they are scary in the rain. when i drove down to LA (10+ hr drive) to have my ati installed i got caught in unexpected rain and i had to go ~40 for quite awhile and even at that speed i had the traction control kicking on. a few times the car started going sideways and i thought my day was going to be over. i would never purposely drive used R2s, Rs, or any other drag tire in the rain otherwise you are bound to lose it at some point. btw, i now run BFG drags and i make sure i never drive in the rain :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
VERY good info Rutiger. Thanks for that. One more very subjective question for you, do you think the trade off of crap rain performance is worth the fun when it's nice out?
Thanks,
Noel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
I dont see why anyone would purposly even drive a Vette in the rain in the first place. Sure you can get caught in it, but to actually know its gonna rain and take it out is another thing.

I know sometimes you can get caught in it but it can be done. I have a 32 year old trans am that has 300K+ miles on it and its never been driven in the rain which wasnt that hard to accomplish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
briann510 said:
I dont see why anyone would purposly even drive a Vette in the rain in the first place. Sure you can get caught in it, but to actually know its gonna rain and take it out is another thing.
lol. Well, how about if you have a road course on a wet weekend? I'd go, for sure, because running on wet courses is quite instructive and challenging. If my car were concours or something I'd hesitate, but rain? it happens. I'd definitely not use them R2s, in the rain from what I'm hearing though.
--Yak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
briann510 said:
I dont see why anyone would purposly even drive a Vette in the rain in the first place. Sure you can get caught in it, but to actually know its gonna rain and take it out is another thing.
My Z is my DD. I drive it in the rain all the time but then I'm also running Michelin PSIIs which are pretty good in the water. I have a Dodge Ram for the snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Yakisoba said:
lol. Well, how about if you have a road course on a wet weekend? I'd go, for sure, because running on wet courses is quite instructive and challenging. If my car were concours or something I'd hesitate, but rain? it happens. I'd definitely not use them R2s, in the rain from what I'm hearing though.
--Yak
I ran a FATT at Summit Point in the rain a couple of weeks ago, on OEM Goodyear F1SCs no less. Challenging, you bet: it kept my attention for 30-35 laps (the afternoon mercifully was dry). Thought about backing out at the last minute because of the weather, but nobody else seemed at all bothered by the conditions. Maybe other Corvette attendees can chime in on what tires they were running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Brian510
As nice as is it...it's a car. Drive the SH*T out of it and enjoy every minute. You sound like the kind of guy who would never drive a classic muscle car during the week, only for the Sunday show. Paint can be fixed, engines rebuilt etc...
I didn't buy this car to look at and the weather where I live is less than predictable or accommodating so I enjoy it every chance I get. Besides, rain + no AH/TC = massive fun with no tire wear.

Noel.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top