Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

For those of you who don't want to read the full text ('cause it's long): The Nitto 555R Drag Radials work just fine in light rain and are great in the dry. I bought them from Discount Tires for about $700/pr., mounted, balanced, tax, etc., etc., etc. It's amazing that they have enough lines on the form for all the etcs.

Because I live in North Las Vegas, the roads out here are always covered with sand and oil builds up because it doesn't rain very much and the stock F1's never had much grip when I'm in the throttle. So Thursday I put a pair of Nitto 555R Drag Radials on the rear of my '04 Z06. The size is 305/35-18, on the stock rims (my car is 100% stock, well, except for the Fram air filter, which I don't consider any improvement over stock). On Thursday I drove the car around for about 20-25 miles to warm the tires up (planing on letting them cool down for a day or two to set them) and only got in the throttle full once. The tires gripped much better than the stock tires: They didn't go crazy in first gear (though they could be spun quite a bit and I couldn't give them full thottle - only about 60-70% throttle) and there was just a hint of slip in second at full thottle (where the stock tires were still spinning like crazy). The stock tires were useless in first and mostly useless in second (sometimes even slipping in third).

Well, what do you know. It's now Sunday, three days later and IT'S RAINING! Well, at least what we call rain here in Vegas. The streets were wet and I did have to turn on my windsheild wippers (to the slow intermitent setting, anyway). So I went for a Sunday morning drive. First I set the air preasure to 32 psi (they where 38 and 40 from Discount). Then I carefully drove around for a while. The tires were fine so I pushed things up a little. I eventually got up to 72 mph on a slightly curved freeway onramp with no problems. I also tried some heavy stopping at 50 mph with no problems. Went 60 mph around a reasonable turn (one that I can go 95 mph on my VMax motorcycle with it's upgraded radial tires on 17" rims - this info is for those of you who know motorcycles) also with no slip or problems.

All in all, the tires work just fine in the light rain we have here in Vegas. If anyone was a little worried about how they would work in the rain (like I was), don't be. I'd recommend them to anyone who has traction problems with the stock tires and is looking for an upgrade for the street.

Next year, I'll get to tell everyone how long they lasted. :) lol.

Rod

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Good info HotRod. Maybe standing water is the problem with DR's or any tire without much tread. Sounds like you have some serious grip now. I have always had good like with Discount Tire. They treat my custom wheels as if they belong to them. They absolutely do an outstanding job here in Florida.

D.J.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I am in love with my Nitto DR's. I cannot believe the traction AND handling I get with them. Outside a road course, you will never know (or should I say feel) that you are running a drag tire in the rear, handling is perfect, and I've pushed them pretty hard on some corners.

I don't take my baby in the rain, so can't comment there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I was always happy with my Nitto's andhow many miles i got out of them. They are the best DR as far as getting the most miles out of them IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts