Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

As I'm piecing together my nitrous kit, I also need some new rears for the car. I don't know if anything but drag radials will hook with the nitrous kit, so I've heard good things about the Nitto 555Rs over the BFGs (in terms of longevity and driveability on the street). My fronts on the Z06 are still good however, and I'd hate to toss them. Anyone run the same (555Rs out back and F1SCs up front) and how does the car handle/feel? Anyone want to add their .02?

Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Grim...why? Reason I ask this question is Wa 2 Fast has recommended DRs, but he does use 555s for the fronts.

What's so bad about the idea? Running the F1SC's up front? Or because I want to run d/r's on the street? The Nitto 555Rs don't have the same problems as the BFG in terms of driveability on the street.

If you're going to comment on something, it'd be nice to provide an explanation. I can go into any thread and say that's stupid and leave it at that. The post would provide no more extra information on the subject than if I had not posted at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that idea. The 555r's have soft sidewalls but I'm sure you are not getting drag radials to do a road course with.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Never mix tires...You will have severe oversteer with the setup you proposed if you have to make a quick manuver. If you the Nitto Drags, it will even be worse.

The have been quite a few threads here on mixing tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So what do you suggest? He run Drag radials up front too?

I've done this on my F-bodies for years one of the first mods was Nitto Drag radials in the rear. Fronts have been BFG KDWS, Kuhmos, Yokahoma AVS's and they were all fine, cars handled very nicely. The one place I don't like a drag radial is at high speeds there wobbles a bit in the rear.

So like previously said as long as your not taking it roadracing (although alot of guys ran dr's at all 4's before the RII's came out) and you are doing bonzi runs on curvy highways you should be fine. Unless the SC tires are different then others?

I would say that the RII on all 4's is probably the best driver handling setup. The 305/35 doesn't have much of a sidewall anyways so I doubt the drag radial has that much on the RII in a straight line even air'd down at the track.

I haven't tried everything just my opinion based on the tires I have run... I'm going to run some ZR1's 315 Nittos at the track next time but that is just for track use...

·
Registered
200 Posts
BTW the Nitto DR's are one of the best all around daily driver tires I've had and the list is long having 5 Fourth gens and the vette over the past 10 years. It does decent in the rain, is quiet, low speed handling is decent and straight line traction is great when its dry. Wear isn't that bad its not like an ET street or anything its a good all around tire. Now if you were doing all out track events that might be different but my use has always been recreational curves and drag racing. I've had plenty of times were I had to make a quick manuver and they were great.... Now if you roll around with 18psi in them that would probably be different.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would run Nitto RII's in the front and the Nitto drag radials in the back, if I were going to run Nitto's drag tires on the street.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmm that would probably be a good combo but then I think I'd just do RII's in the back to they aren't that much more. So your saying because of the different tread pattern it could cause problems in extreme driving or emergency situations?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Actually, 01Z06Wicked1.

The RII's have 100 WR, The F1's 280 wear rating. The RII's are much stickier, are offerred in a 285 front and weigh the almost the same as the F1's. There is no(ZERO) comparision in traction. Also, the Nitto's RII should run closer to the same operating temperature, than F1's in front, Nitto Drag's in the back.

I have the RII's on my car now. Spin the tires, do four wheel skids every time I take it out. I run 33 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back cold, otherwise I would have understeer. Then again I have a full T-1 suspension, adjustable coil-overs, corner weighting, Three point roll bar, 60 pounds lighter, etc.

Personally, If I were him, I would run the RII's in the back. Drag radials wear out quickly. The RII's work for me with 550 rear wheel torque. The F1's, I could spin sometimes in fourth gear. These, I have to be at WOT, to spin third, when cold. I have 4,000 miles on mine now, expect another 4,000 miles.

If were going to drag at the track, I would buy a drag only setup and store it in the garage until needed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
A buddy of mine with DR's in the rear and F1's in the front lost control of the car in a slight downpour and almost wrote his car off. He won't be doing that again.

Heed the good advice and don't dare mix tires with such a difference in traction characteristics......:NoNo:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grim- Thanks for offering more valuable info, it's appreciated.

I'm looking for a combo that'll hold up to 550rwhp and not spend my days and nights as I do now, with a useless 1st, 2nd, and lower 3rd...

I was debating the 555R II's for the rear, but not sure if they'd plant the power down with the harder compound. So you're running the 555R II's with a 550rwtq 429 then and they work alright?

This is exactly why I posted this thread, to see what kind of effects the tread pattern and compound difference would have. The $ isn't a factor, but like I said, if I could've gotten away with not "throwing away" my F1SC's up front, I would have. I may just pick up 555R II's for street and then find a set of rears I can mount some BFG's to.

Feel free to add any more info guys, still pondering here. In the end, I don't think I'm going to get away from the traction problems...Seems like nobody makes a tire that'll plant these cars once modded.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have any experience with DRs on the 'Vette (yet), but FWIW, I've been running them on my Mustang on the street for years. Obviously the cars are very different, but I've never had a problem. I would think that you would be fine unless you plan to take it road racing.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think you'll be fine with the 555r2 in the rear or the nitto drag radial. Either will work just make sure you match up front. The drag radial will give you a better launch but the 555r2 will handle much metter and is y rated to 186 mph. ( I think the drag radial is 149). I went with the 555r2 on all 4 corners at 433rwhp. I used to have the 555r2 in rear and f1's in front and it was fine but with very aggressive driving it could cause issues. They both have 100 treadwear. Again, either will work just choose the one that suits u best.
P.S. On the 1/4 track the r2's don't launch great, similar to the f1's(stiff sidewall).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts