Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seem to get a lot of PM's and e mails each week asking me questions about the Nitto R2 tire. So I dug up the original thread from when I first got them. Most of the questions (performance, sizes, clearance, rain, wear, price) are discussed -- There is lots of good info on this thread from me and + other guys that got them. New members here, or guys that are planning new mods, you all seem to want to know about the Nitto R2, so this thread should answer all your questions if you are considering sticky tires.

If you are considering Nittos, go here --

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...04&goto=newpost

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
do it

·
Registered
407 Posts
The link is not working

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Thanks, IT L GO! I'll be ordering my Nitto's next month. I think spending the extra $15 per tire for heat treating is the way to go for extra wear, and it can't hurt the handling. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
830 Posts
You still haven't offered an opinion on them after you added the Magnuson. That's what I'd like to hear from some of you guys, whether they are useful on 500+rwhp monsters. ZRod said they were good however.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jagrmaister said:
You still haven't offered an opinion on them after you added the Magnuson. That's what I'd like to hear from some of you guys, whether they are useful on 500+rwhp monsters. ZRod said they were good however.
Yeah, when I got my first set of Nittos and these posts were active I still had stock power. But I knew a Magnusson was in my future, thats another reason I got them. What I can say is Nittos + an SC car are a perfect street combination. As far as traction/hook up with the SC power, it really depends on how warm it is and how hot the tires are. On a hot summer day with the Nittos heated up, they'll pretty much hook up perfectly, unless you are launching at 5K+ rpm. From a 40 roll in warm temps I can usually nail it and not spin at all. This is a big advantage running next to another car with just as much (or more) rwhp but standard factory tires. You'll hook at WOT, he'll either spin 'em badly or have back off his throttle a little.

If it's cold, even Nittos will be spinnin' a lot on an SC car, but still way less than F1s.

Aside from the st line aspect, the R2s totally change what the car do in corners. You can enter a corner a faster and then apply more throttle as you exit it without worrying about getting sideways. I'd never run an SC with F1s on the car after being used to the R2s. Whether you are modded or stock, R2s make a Z06 way more fun -- and safer, too.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Now What, how many miles did you get on your 1st set of Nitto's vs. the F1's? Do you think getting them heat cycled is worth the $15 per tire investment (it's suppose to give you extra tread wear)? Thanks for your input. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got around 12K on my rears, but that was without tracking my car. The fronts were still fine. If you are dragging the car weekends or doing a lot of burnouts I think you'd probably get 1/2 that, since they are very soft.

I don't know how long my F1s would've lasted, but I took them off after 16K miles, they are sitting in my garage and I'd say the tread is about 60%. If I had them on with the Magnusson, I'm sure they would be much more worn.

I really dont know how much the heat cycling helps with wear on the Nittos, wasn't offered to me from my local Nitto guy, I think thats something they do primarily for pure race tires, but for the few extra bucks I'd say go with it. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Now what, I have to admit after reading your posts about the Nittos as well as a few others on this site, it convinced me to put them on my ride. I had them installed last week and there is a huge difference in traction. They also make less noise and stick like glue. Had em' heat cycled for longer wear and a more even compound. I thank you for steering me in the right direction. :ity:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Rob, thanks for your input. My UPS guy stopped by the other day and asked why I haven't had any shipments lately. :pp: Guess he'll be delivering some Nitto's in the Windy City next month. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob, You're welcome. Glad you like 'em. For the money I think its a no brainer on these cars we have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do the nittos handle at high speeds. Are these tires safe at 180+ mph? At what point did you notice your nittos loosing grip, in other words do the tires gradually loose traction or do they maintain grip up to the end of their tread life. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
jason31 said:
How do the nittos handle at high speeds. Are these tires safe at 180+ mph? At what point did you notice your nittos loosing grip, in other words do the tires gradually loose traction or do they maintain grip up to the end of their tread life. Thanks.
The nitto 555r2 are y rated to 186 mph. :yeadog:
I get upset everytime I put my drag package on because I have to take the r2's off!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Minor clarification on speed ratings:

The 275x17 for the stock front wheel is only W rated for 168 Mph.

The 18" x 285 and 305 are Y rated.

I have 18 x 285 front, 18 x 305 rear, on CCW Classics for the street and love them. However I've only had them up to about 140 so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts