Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love starting fights. What would you go with and why? Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Nittos r2s? Of course this is for daily driving and performance driving.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
There may not be enough experience yet to give a good comparison. I know I can't help you since I'm still running factory tires. :p

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I would like to see a professional test comparison between these two like MT did with the GYF1 vs MPS. :yeadog:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just used my nitto r2's for the first time at buttonwillow last weekend. I'm very pleased with their grip and feedback. Since I have to drive 250 miles to and from the track, they're a great compromise tire for me. I haven't used the michelins, but in comparison to Kumho victoracers, they are a little less grippy, but have a better feel at the limit. They start to squeel a little before losing grip, and are easy to bring back when they do slide. I put on about 90 miles of hard driving on the track, with a few long slides because of crappy downshifting, and hardly noticed any tire wear.

Justin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally I don't think you can even compare these two tires, as they are in completely different leagues. The Michelin PS2 is a normal compound tire, the Nitto is a soft compound tire. They are completely different, for different intended use.

If you want to compare the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 to Goodyear F1 Supercar tire, then fine. If you want to compare the Nitto to a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup soft compound tire, then fine. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges.

The comparison will be the same as with ANY hard to soft compound tire.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nocturne is right. Figure out what you are trying to accomplish, then pick the tire.

Some people do run race compounds as daily street tires. However, they wear out relatively quickly.

For a car that only does a 3000 miles a year though, they could be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current tires are at 12000 miles and have close to 3000 left. How would have the nittos done over the same milege?
How would have the michelins done?
Why would Lingenfelter put the ps2 on his twin turbo setup?
Why do I ask so many questions? :screwy:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would go with the PS2s for my street tire. The Nittos would be good for a track day. Like someone said, apples and oranges.

Jason, why do you ask so many questions? j/k :rofl:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZO6 AL-X said:
I would go with the PS2s for my street tire. The Nittos would be good for a track day. Like someone said, apples and oranges.

Jason, why do you ask so many questions? j/k :rofl:
I'm still trying to figure out which I like better.
Apples or Oranges? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
jason31 said:
My current tires are at 12000 miles and have close to 3000 left. How would have the nittos done over the same milege?
Inquiring minds just want to know… :drunken:

Nocturne said:
Personally I don't think you can even compare these two tires, as they are in completely different leagues. The Michelin PS2 is a normal compound tire, the Nitto is a soft compound tire. They are completely different, for different intended use.

If you want to compare the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 to Goodyear F1 Supercar tire, then fine. If you want to compare the Nitto to a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup soft compound tire, then fine. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges.

The comparison will be the same as with ANY hard to soft compound tire.
Good point and I think you answered the question. Nitto's = sticky track tires with softer compound. Not ideal for street use. MPS2 = Great street tire, and good for the occasional AutoX event.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jason31 said:
If tire wear is a concern to you, then a soft compound tire may not be a good solution.

All DoT approved tires has a UTQG rating that estimates the tire wear compared to other tires. This rating is not perfectly accurate, but its a good place to start for treadware expectancy.

The Michelin PS2 and our stock Goodyear SC's have a UTQG of 220. They will wear about the same generally. The Nitto's have a UTQG rating of 100. So the Nitto's will wear just over twice as fast, given identical driving.

A Michelin PSC for example has a UTQG of 60, and will wear about 4 times as fast as stock.

Again it's personal choice - performance vs. cost.

For the Lingenfelter question, although I couldn't speak for them - I would expect it was related to tire size. They use much larger tires then stock, so you need a tire that can fit the rims.

If for example you use a tire that is 40% wider, you might get the same effect as a soft compound.

The other factor is temperature and weather conditions. Soft compound tires don't like cold temps very much. If you're driving in a cold climate it may not be a good choice.

The Nitto's aren't particularly good at wet traction. The Michelin's ARE a decent wet tire. It all depends on your personal needs.

I have a highly modified engine. My car would be completely useless with hard compound tires. My driving style favors max handling. I could care less how many miles my tires last. That's my choice.

The key is to find your specific needs. Both tires are good in their own right, but they are apples and oranges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts