·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No 525-hp Corvette Z06 for next year; Bugatti’s Veyron back on test track
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 5/11/05
No 525-hp Z06

When the Z06 version of the new Chevrolet Corvette goes on sale this October, we know a 7.0-liter V8 will be under the hood pumping out a now certified 505 hp (vs. the 500 hp previously reported).

What we’re also told is that, unlike the 2002-2004 C5 Z06s that picked up 20 hp over previous years’ Z06 models (thanks to a new catalyst and a freer-flowing exhaust system), we shouldn’t hold our breath for a similar power upgrade in Z06s in a few years.

“Next year there will not be a 520- or 525-hp version of this car,” said Tadge Juechter, assistant chief engineer.

“We don’t have any tricks left,” added Corvette chief engineer Dave Hill.

Back on track

Bugatti’s Veyron supercar, tentatively scheduled for delivery a few months from now, achieved a top speed of 248.5 mph on a test track near parent company Volkswagen’s Wolfsburg headquarters.

The speed mark for the 8.0-liter, 987-hp 16-cylinder car approaches the 252-mph top speed Bugatti originally promised for the much-delay_ed two-seater; the number was cut to 218 mph a year ago due to concerns about high-speed stability and tire wear

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just read in MT that Bugatti claims 0 to 60 mph in under 3.0 seconds, 0 to 124 mph in 6.0, and 0 to 186 mph in 14.0.

YIKES!!!!.......that sounds like fun! :jawdrop:

Oh, just in case you need to slow down some, they claim the Veyron will brake from 252 mph to a standstill in less than 10 seconds.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Bugatti Veyron = :jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
More bait and switch? GM marketing tactic, put the new Z06 out there for everyone to see, keep them in the dark about the MSRP, future horse power, get them all psyched up, this is it, your big chance, nothing will change.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't say what the price of the C6 Z06 will be or even if Autoweeks report that no hp increase the second year of the C6 Z06 is true...

Just thought you guys would find it an interesting read..

As far as the brutally accelerating (zero to 60 mph in 3 seconds, etc) bugatti...Its a dual clutch sequential shifter....

This new technology is dam impressive.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Any news on how the C6 Z06's are doing in the reliability tests?

I would presume this late in the game they would have al the major issues ironed out - and the cars should be flawless as delivered... correct?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently read a detailed breakdown on the new LS7 motor. The only thing I thought was that even though GM said they had no more tricks left, I can't help but think that an intake, headers and exhaust system, cam swap and tune will net another 100 horsepower. The intake manifold looks just like a FAST unit. The heads on this engine flow more than any other head EVER put onto a production car. I think the number was something like 340 cfm :eyes: ! My stage 2e heads flowed "only" 301 cfm at 600 and that's a lot!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
JB, good information and thanks for sharing it. Looks like I will have no worries in the power department if I can swing upgrading to a 427 in my ride. It will be under $20k, and be a good 10% over the LS7 H/P/ and torque figures while remaining emissions legal. I have already discussed this project with one of our excellent forum vendors and now I gotta find Bonnie so we can hit some banks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
GM says they have no more tricks,but that doesn't stop them from coming out with a whole new motor in a couple of years.LS-8?L88?They may have tweaked the LS series of motors as far as they are allowed by law,or more likely making money off the aftermarket.Either way,the ever evolving Corvette,continues to get better every year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts