Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first ordered my 02 zo6 I was sure I was going to remove my cats and go with a real radical exhaust. Now after reading about all the problems with the o2 sims, runing rich/lean, and the bad smell I am having second thoughts. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this so I dont loose power??? This is my first post so please bear with me. thanks all

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mac,

Welcome to the Forum!! :cool: We have several experts here that should be able to answer your questions. Hopefully they will check in soon. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would like to know as well

I removed the cats today so the nitrous would not remove them for me and my car is as RICH and Bill Gates. The smell sucks balls as well. I put the thing on the dyno and it made 5 more RWHP and 6 more RWT but DAMN this thing is pig rich:puke: , hell it was 11.9 to 12.0 on the wide band before I will put the wide band back in it when I have more time to see just how rich. Any input you guys have would be great. By the way the sound is great I love it with the stock mufflers and X pipe.

:cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey optic

what does it smell like.......is it like a old muscle car smell or is it like rotten eggs?????

did you use the bassini x pipe front and rear units with o2 sims?

someone must know the correct way to do this any help would be great

thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome aboard MACZ06 and your first question is a good one because I have been wondering about the same thing. I would like a little more GO and a little more GROWL myself; but not quite ready for headers yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have no cats, No Rich/Lean conditions, & certainly no power "LOSS"(See Sig). The sound is better than ANY muscle car I've ever heard(REALLY), but the smell is similar. I have Belanger Headers, X-pipe & B&B PRT's(Speedway). With a few other things.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info darth

did you use the o2 sims?

what x pipe did you use?

thanks mac

·
Registered
173 Posts
I do have the O2 simms, I got my X-pipe from Breathless.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Darth, Did you replace fuel injectors or anything to avoid any rich or lean fuel conditions? I am removing the pre-cats and going to have the Breathless long tube step headers and x-pipe (street version , maybe) installed on my 01. I was originally thinking about removing the cats entirely to get the maximum hp until I read of fuel mixture problems. I have been searching for cases that removed the cats to get the feedback pertaining to this issue. Your response would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that removing the main cats may get another 6 to 9 hp. It's hard to pass up that much extra hp while down there for minimal cost (O2Sims).

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have NOT replaced the inj's, they are still stock. Although, I think we're about at the limit of what the stock inj. can handle (power- wise). My A/F is LOVELY! Even on the N20.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I run no cats...

TPIS long tubes, custom dual pipes to the Magnaflow Xpipe, then stock Ti mufflers...

yeah, the "rich" smell is there with no cats, but I don't care...sound is nice and I would venture to guess about a 5-7 rwhp gain without the cats in place...if you live in an area that it is easy to get inspected without cats, I say go for it, no real reason to leave 'em on there... :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts