Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 03 Z and tried to see how the car feels in Competition mode. The owner's manual says press the button for 5 seconds, but all mine does is indicate that both are off--active handling AND traction control. I can't seem to turn just the traction control off. Does the Z06 not have a Competition Mode?

I was told by you guys to try this, because in an earlier post I mentioned how the car seemed to bog down for a split second when doing full acceleration runs thru the gears. Taking it up to about 6,000 rpm's, then going into 3rd, it would lose power then accelerate after hesitation. PSome thought that maybe my computer was trying to stop wheel spin. So when I do this TC/AH off, I'm not getting any wheelspin anyway...punching it at around 3,000 in 1st and going thru the gears, I don't notice anything different--and frankly I'm wondering if my motor is not putting out all the power it should be. Would the steering lock fix that the dealer did before I bought it, cause the computer to do crazy things?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
When you turn the car on, push and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds and COMPETITIVE DRIVING will come out on the DIC. You've now turned traction control off, so you can spin as much as you'd like, but you've left active handling on to save your ass in case you get too squirrely.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have to hold the T/C button down longer then five seconds to get to COMP Mode in my 03

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me try again. Not sure if this matters, but I always have my DIC to show oil temperature. I'll go back to the normal odometer setting and see if it makes a difference. I thought I heard if you romp on it, these Z's would spin tires in the first three gears...I just get chirps with each shift.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine's like 8 seconds...kinda like a bull ride!

John.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The active handling is not fun to drive with either when getting on it. Took a friend out for a test drive yesterday and purposely tried to induce a power slide around a tight curve and you could feel the computer trying to get my car straightened out, and I was having to do wierd steering corrections in reaction to the active handling. On the other hand, I don't think I have the guts to turn it off--but the computer sensors should not be dictating our driving experience. I had a Porsche 911 and know all about being gentle to stop that tail from coming around..so how hard can it be to practice caution and take control of our cars back from the computer. Reminds me of HAL in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey! :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you don't want to see COMPETITIVE DRIVING in the DIC, push the reset button on the dash and it will go away, You still will be in the COMPETITIVE DRIVING mode until you shut the car off. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Thanks for the reset tip. I think it's more important to monitor oil temp.
I Agree, I'm always scanning the the various functions. :z:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Much discussion in threads here recently about driving "all off" or in Comp Mode. Best thing is to try both modes in a safe place and figure out what works for you. :idea:
I think it's unanimous that Comp Mode be employed on the drag strip. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
firsttimevette said:
On the other hand, I don't think I have the guts to turn it off--but the computer sensors should not be dictating our driving experience.
I'd agree with this statement if you COULDN'T turn the computer input off, but you CAN. So, turn it off it you want! :)

-Kirk

·
Registered
612 Posts
OLDGUY said:
I have to hold the T/C button down longer then five seconds to get to COMP Mode in my 03
I agree! Same with my '04. :jammin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts