Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im talking about the most recent Motor Trend I recieced yesterday in the Mail, It had a special very extensive article on Gms Small block history...

I read a bit of of it but got late and never finished but from what I read It talked about the most import small block v8 from GM, but when it never really mentioned the LS6, It mentioned alot of the LS7, alot of the older vettes, when mentioned of the LT motors it mentioned more of only about the f-bodies instead of the C4s, and same thing about the LS1...

But more suprising was they mentioned about the CTS-V's 400 hp motor. What Are they talking about, They never mentioned it was a motor from the Z06 neither that it was the LS6 motor :-?

just thought I would share that, I'll read it better tonight to clear up the LT motors and the LS1 :ity:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ive noticed that also. I remember i was watching a show on discovery about the new C6, their exact words were "with 400hp, its the most powerful vette ever made". Its funny cause the C5 Zo6 came with 405hp and im not exactly sure how much the ZR-1 vette came with.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The ZR1's from 93 thru 95 had 405 HP. I bet the article didn't give any mention to the LT5 motor either. :roll:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT L GO said:
The ZR1's from 93 thru 95 had 405 HP. I bet the article didn't give any mention to the LT5 motor either. :roll:

Im checking that one two, is that what the Zr1 motor called? LT5?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Im checking that one two, is that what the Zr1 motor called? LT5?

yep

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Typical Motor Trend.I sometimes wonder,if the magazine writers are even car guys or just jounalism geeks,pretending to be car guys. :screwy:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
they should honestly hire me to go over their entire magazine before they publish it. it's sad some of the stuff they publish.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I call it "Motor Friend," because all they cater to is ad money. They don't have a clue about cars anymore. Years ago, it was the rag to buy to get the insight. Now, all it does is print what certain companies want published, not what the real enthusiast wants to read. :bmad:

Jack

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT L GO said:

Ok the section ''10 most important cars for the Gm Small blocks" one of the 10 was the ZR1, but never mentioned it was a 'LT5'...

.never mention the C5 I dont even recall any of the cars with an LS1, and no C4s, they did mention the Impala SS instead which was rated at 260hp, which by what I now that has the C4's engine, right?

and of course what caught my eye was the CTS-V, so the CTS-V is more important for the GM history of small blocks then the C5 or Z06 for that matter, :-?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This issue does have 3 comparison tests, the GT40 versus versus F430, which puts out that the GT40 whiping the F430 on every end :thumb: ...

then the Corvette vert versus Maserati vert which cost twice as much but the vette smokes it :D

and the Mustang vert versus 350z vert which is obvious which one gets it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That issue also contained an interesting article detailing how the LS7 motors will be "hand built" Seems that GM has come up with a pretty idiot proof process that has a lot of automated monitoring of each step of the 4 hour build. Even the torque wrenches are programmed to provide the correct torque for various sequences of the build.

I think that since I always wanted a 427, buying the LS7 and having it fitted to my Z would be the best of both worlds (if I can afford it)! It certainly seems more cost effective than building up either a Darton sleeved motor or one based on the C5R. I am sure one of our excellent vendors here will offer a package by the end of the year. I want the LS7, but not the body :puke:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BLEUBYU said:
That issue also contained an interesting article detailing how the LS7 motors will be "hand built" Seems that GM has come up with a pretty idiot proof process that has a lot of automated monitoring of each step of the 4 hour build. Even the torque wrenches are programmed to provide the correct torque for various sequences of the build.

I think that since I always wanted a 427, buying the LS7 and having it fitted to my Z would be the best of both worlds (if I can afford it)! It certainly seems more cost effective than building up either a Darton sleeved motor or one based on the C5R. I am sure one of our excellent vendors here will offer a package by the end of the year. I want the LS7, but not the body :puke:

I feel the same way about the LS7 maybe stronger, but I want mine as a package and the new Z06 is the package, I do want both my current and the new, to put the LS7 in my Z06 will cost more then trading in for a new Z06 even if its $80k, and the new Z will be a complete package, so I'll be saving up to buy the new Z in a few years and try to keep my current Z06 :cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
:crazy:
COUTO1981 said:
I feel the same way about the LS7 maybe stronger, but I want mine as a package and the new Z06 is the package, I do want both my current and the new, to put the LS7 in my Z06 will cost more then trading in for a new Z06 even if its $80k, and the new Z will be a complete package, so I'll be saving up to buy the new Z in a few years and try to keep my current Z06 :cheers:
We agree on the desireability of the LS7, but not the costs. If the rumored cost of $15 for a complete LS7 is correct, I would plan to do a wheel/tire upgrade, change out headers to 1 7/8 long tubes, strengthen tranny a bit, get a good tune, and call it a day. I have already done some brake upgrades and would probably use a bit more aggressive pads. I may be smoking crack :crazy:, but I think I can do that for well less than the price differential between my $30k car and the basic C6Z which will likely be at least $65k out the door with taxes, title, etc. I could be wrong - and if I am, well there's always FI to consider. Thing is, I love the style of my Z, and do not like the new style at all.

I might consider the new Z if it prices out considerably less than I think it will, and I can use the saved dough to take it to Carvaggio or Callaway to do some plastic surgery on it..

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BLEUBYU said:
:crazy:

We agree on the desireability of the LS7, but not the costs. If the rumored cost of $15 for a complete LS7 is correct, I would plan to do a wheel/tire upgrade, change out headers to 1 7/8 long tubes, strengthen tranny a bit, get a good tune, and call it a day. I have already done some brake upgrades and would probably use a bit more aggressive pads. I may be smoking crack :crazy:, but I think I can do that for well less than the price differential between my $30k car and the basic C6Z which will likely be at least $65k out the door with taxes, title, etc. I could be wrong - and if I am, well there's always FI to consider. Thing is, I love the style of my Z, and do not like the new style at all.

I might consider the new Z if it prices out considerably less than I think it will, and I can use the saved dough to take it to Carvaggio or Callaway to do some plastic surgery on it..

Yes , I see your point, and I too love my current Zs body style, actually I love everything about it, but the 427 and 500hp factory gets me more and more, but we're diffrent and I rather have a package then something thrown together, which will always need some tweaking here and there, not doubting your plans, It is a dream car and good luck with it, I just dont have the [email protected] to go all out like that :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts