Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pick up the front end of the car. I am actually looking for some kind of ramp that will pick the front end up high enough to get under the car...but most that I have seen are too steep to pull the ZO6 on without scrapin' the front.

Would jack stands be better for gettin' underneath? How stable are stands? Who sells a floor jack with a low enough profile to get under a Vette? I have two 3 ton floor jacks that are all to tall to fit under the ZO6.

I have been spoiled and had access to a lift...no longer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I made my own ramps out of 2"x12" lumber.

I cut three pieces for each ramp with a 45deg cut on the front edge. The longest piece goes on the bottom with each piece shorter than the next, example:

-------\
--------------\
----------------------\

They work great. Once the car is up in the air, you can lift it higher with a floor jack and use jack stands, etc. for support.

Mid America Designs also sell a pair of ramps with a gradual ramp incline.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Were you a Marine? Improvise, Overcome and Adapt! j/k;)

That is a great idea...cheap too. I could do that all around (for the back as well) and pick the whole car up at the same time. Just add each level as you go. Then throw some chalks (sp) on there and as they say in Australia...No worries mate.

Sorry, I was thinkin' out loud there for a minute.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I have three sets, one to get the back up, the second to go upside-down on the back set, so when I pull forward it stays level, and a third to go under the front. This way, for less than $100, I can get the entire car up, on solid wood. I plan to store it for the winter this way, so I can clean the bottom. I may be sleeping there as well, but that's another story. :D :D
The overhang is in case I drive too far onto the ramp, the car doesn't get damaged by falling off the fromt of the ramp.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Got my Rhino Ramps at Pep Boys for $32.00.....

On a lowered Z(1.5") they won't work on the front, but will work on the rear.....until I got the Corsa Indy exhaust:(

Like the other guys, I made ramps out of 1x12 pine boards. made 'em for the front and rear. 4 "steps" for the front and 5 "steps" for the rear. I bolt 'em to the garage floor so they won't move. The car just glides up real easy. I beveled the leading edges. Have a 2x4 stop on the rear ramp. Since the 1'' boards are actually 3/4" in thickness, you get a total lift of 3" in the front and 3 1/2" in the rear.

You'll need a super low profile jack up the front, as you can't reach the front cross piece jacking point from the front of the car. The rear is not a problem. You'll need a special jack, or you could use 2 jacks on each side of the car. Make sure you know where it's safe to place the jack on the car(see owner's manual or the shop manuals, if you have 'em).

I found the World's best Jack on the net. It's made by AC Hydraulics in Denmark, and it's designed for low slung Sports Cars. It starts at 3.1 inches, and will go up to 28". It's rated at 2,800 lbs, which is plenty. It's not cheap, but it reeks of quality.....
$400.00 total cost, which includes freight charges. I also bought their jack stands. Very safe pin design. To get the lift height I needed, I bought 4 of the the 11,000 lbs units @ $50.00 each, delivered.

Here's the Distibutors website: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Vault/3251/hydraulicjacks2.html

These are very popular Jacks/Stands, so you may have to wait 30 days like I did.....A friend of mine bought one and loves it!! He's a mechanic @ American Airlines and knows quality when he sees it:) He found another source, but at a much higher cost.....

HTH,
Barry

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I am going to build my own...I like buildin' stuff.

ProExpert,

Thanks for the picks and the "upside" down hint.

You can get any and all info on this board.

Ask and ye shall receive.
So sayeth the Shepard. So sayeth the Flock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts