Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Looks like they are getting sensitive about the criticism resulting from the 01-02 zo6 and the GTO which got a 50 hp bump the second year. If the Cobra and the Viper bump the horsepower, bet they find a few tricks in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I personally think the criticism was misguided.

The Vette should be the absolute best car Chevy can make it for the dollar at any particular point in time, IMHO. If that means someone buying 2 years after me gets a better car, so be it - that is a good thing, not a bad thing. It keeps the Corvette on top of the 5-digit-price pack.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just curious where you got that little article from. Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do you really believe them?

Not they have not done this during the last three decades.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
No tricks? hahahaa I'll bet they could get the 427 to pump out 700 horse on pump gas with their knowledge and money backing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Let me try and understand something because I am very slow...
7LT enigine that produces only 100 HP more than the 5.7 LT engine did....
ok _ now I believe them :sneaky: I really really do.
David
PS - Happy B day Norm - ;)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
There track record in this area is abysmal :drunken:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know this little math problem I did has no real correlation per se but 5.7L/405hp = 71hp/L x 7L = 497hp. *shrug* no very scientific but all things being equal & all variables increasing proportionately it seems that they are at the end of their factory backed rope w/o more tune/modding etc.. Time to sleeve that thing :jammin:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
IT L GO said:
There track record in this area is abysmal :drunken:
That is being kind IMO ;)

Jack

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I concur. Continuous improvements are what make things interesting from year to year but not necessarily with higher HP "one-ups-manship". For example, GM may lower the weight with more CF "upgrades" to add more performance capability.

The aftermarket fills the need for more HP fairly well.

Btw, does anyone know what impact - if any - on rated HP, the use of only 91 "premium" pump octane will be?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have never been sorry that I bought my 2001 instead of waiting for a higher HP 2002 or later!!!!! That gave me one more year of Z driving I would not have had otherwise. Now I am ready to upgrade to the new 06Z and I am not at all concerned about future power upgrades on later Z models. If I need more power for the new Z, I will just visit MTI.

GOLD72 :yeadog:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yogivette said:
Just curious where you got that little article from. Thanks
AutoWeek just out yesterday.

I think the criticism is valid. How do you get the faithful to buy yet another of the expensive sports car that they purchased 18 months ago? You add 25 or 50 horsepower.

I think that was a cheap shot with the C5-Z They should have given the 405 right from the get go, but they got ALOT of 385HP trade in's and a boost in sales because of it.

One problem with automakers (of the many) is once they learn a cheap trick that increases their sales / profits they have a tendency to keep doing it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
if they can make a smooth 405hp out of a 5.7 which is really more like 420hp, Im pretty sure they can make the same smooth and reliable engine out of the 427 with 550hp easy :cheers:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
novetteyet said:
I personally think the criticism was misguided.

The Vette should be the absolute best car Chevy can make it for the dollar at any particular point in time, IMHO. If that means someone buying 2 years after me gets a better car, so be it - that is a good thing, not a bad thing. It keeps the Corvette on top of the 5-digit-price pack.
AMEN. I never understand the whining from people that get their panties all in a wad because somebody gets something more than they did. Design is not static, it is always (hopefully) improving. Great. Something to look forward to next time.

As to no HP increase. Phhhhhhhhhtttt. They may have all they can get for now, but it will come.

·
Registered
179 Posts
At the C5/6 Birthday Bash Dave Hill was possitive about no hp bumps for the next two years, as the 385hp to 405hp increase was due to a brake-thru in better catalytic convertors, and said"We just don't have any more tricks". Fortunatly didn't say read my lips. (as a pun about George sr about not rasing taxes, and did).
Which also gives some credence to the seceret up market 700hp Corvette SS.
Needless to say when the rumor mill started about this 500hp Corvette, three years ago, myself like most laughed it off. And said if true i definatley want one. Well mercifully dreams come true, the new Z06 is going to be a real deal and I can't wait.
Hopefully the pricing will be an acceptable one for the faithfull.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
When you've got 500 HP, does 20 more really make a difference? Hardly. But with forged and/or titanium stuff in it, it's a decent candidate for supercharging with a lower compression ratio. I don't think chevy would do that though. An additional 50 HP is possible with normal modding techniques though. With as torquey as the new engine is, they could do a little cam work and get some amazing results.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts