Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Was wondering if any of you fellow enthusiasts had any experience with no-name short shifters and could comment on their general reliability and performance. I noticed they are a lot cheaper than the brand names and I am contemplating trying one out. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You pretty well get what you pay for. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Young_Jedi said:
Hey folks,

Was wondering if any of you fellow enthusiasts had any experience with no-name short shifters and could comment on their general reliability and performance. I noticed they are a lot cheaper than the brand names and I am contemplating trying one out. Thanks!

Not sure of the "no name" shifters but I'd probably cut the stock shifter before buying one of them.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Young_Jedi said:
Hey folks,

I drove mine with stock shifter for almost 3 years til yesterday I put on Hurst Shifter, I put it on because I won it, Its great though, I think it costs $180 new in box, How much do those no-name shifter cost? If they are $100 cheaper its not worth it, If they're not as good as the Hurst no point wasting time buying, installing and then throwing it away because the stock is plenty great, the hurst is worth its $180 price tag :cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
damn couto,i wanted that shifter!!!!!! lol.i have the breathless and all i can say is,wow.i re-iterate what my z-06 brethren have stated,you get what you pay for

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback. So I take it installing a $50 shifter off eBay is asking for trouble! Guess i'll have to consider splashing out on a Hurst.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
There have been so many shifter threads, it makes you want to :puke: Shifting the Z, which we do often, is something that can make or break your enjoyment of driving the car. I can't believe anyone would cut corners and cost to put in a cheap, crappy shifter that is too stiff, won't go into 6th or reverse, etc. The stock shifter is too rubbery and too TALL, and doesn't improve much when you cut it down.

After trying them all, I spent $450 on the Mallett shifter and it's the best investment and most enjoyment I have had. The only thing I would do different at the beginning is what I recently did....cut the Mallett shaft down 1 1/4" and cut standard 9/16 x 18 threads onto the shaft to accomodate regular shift knobs. I just put on the new C6 shift knob and the shifter is awesome feeling and the shifts are smooth, direct, concise (like driving a Rolls)!
If you want to cut costs, do it on mods that don't effect the joy of driving the car everyday...not the shifter! :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ditto, Ditto,Ditto Mr. R. Pallas. Installing the Mallet was one of the first things I did to the car. I was completely stoked then and still am. Others will disagree, but this is one of the best mods for increasing the fun factor in driving a Z.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts