Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just hope you never need a 5/6 driven gear, 37 days out of service and the solution to replacing a $200 gear that Tremec would not sell separately, was to replace my entire 3000 dollar transmission. Did I hear somewhere that GM was having financial difficulties? Surely not. hmmmmm. And the reason it had to be replaced, it was cracked due to a bad casting. My tech assures me that there was nothing I could have done to damage this part. You think GM would have worked out the parts issues long before the car's release. :screwy: I understand there are 4 or 5 of you sitting undrivable due to no fuel sending units. They had to send my radio off for service, as there were no replacement units to swap out. Oh yea, the radio was out of service 45 days. Why should we stand for this when you know they have every part we need at the Plant in BG. "Oh we have to save these for the people whose money we haven't gotten yet. You guys that already put the big bucks out can wait. Let us get more cars delivered that we don't have spares for and we'll get back to ya" Hmmmmm, I think I might smell a Ferrari in my future. At least you know what you are getting into with one of them. Not that I am bitter after 3 engine replacements in my last Corvette in the span of 52,000 miles. Oh that's right the GM financial thing was ALL OVER the media. That's what it was. :toilet

Doc E.
:crazy:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dr.Electron said:
Just hope you never need a 5/6 driven gear, 37 days out of service and the solution to replacing a $200 gear that Tremec would not sell separately, was to replace my entire 3000 dollar transmission. Did I hear somewhere that GM was having financial difficulties? Surely not. hmmmmm. And the reason it had to be replaced, it was cracked due to a bad casting. My tech assures me that there was nothing I could have done to damage this part. You think GM would have worked out the parts issues long before the car's release. :screwy: I understand there are 4 or 5 of you sitting undrivable due to no fuel sending units. They had to send my radio off for service, as there were no replacement units to swap out. Oh yea, the radio was out of service 45 days. Why should we stand for this when you know they have every part we need at the Plant in BG. "Oh we have to save these for the people whose money we haven't gotten yet. You guys that already put the big bucks out can wait. Let us get more cars delivered that we don't have spares for and we'll get back to ya" Hmmmmm, I think I might smell a Ferrari in my future. At least you know what you are getting into with one of them. Not that I am bitter after 3 engine replacements in my last Corvette in the span of 52,000 miles. Oh that's right the GM financial thing was ALL OVER the media. That's what it was. :toilet

Doc E.
Doc, it is not that simple.

Tremec's plant is in Mexico. I feel certain the fuel sender and the stereo are Asian. I further would guess, since the Japanese have showed us the wisdom of our own invention, just-in-time delivery, that BG does NOT keep a big surplus stash of parts, but rather just a few days' worth with regular deliveries. In any event, how is it more fair to those who've ordered cars to slow down production to fix your car?

My colleague at the office has a 10-month old Audi A4 convertible. His entire tranny crapped out last month, and his car sat for 3 weeks because--tah, dah--they couldn't get the parts from Germany. Quit blaming Chevy. This is a common problem.

If you want to complain about something, complain about globalization and the demise of US manufacturing, which you will aid if you buy a Ferrari. As the number of suppliers gets more and more concentrated in fewer hands and all auto companies end up buying from the same several big suppliers (everyone buys from Tremec), this will only get worse, as will the recalls, as so many manufacturers will share the same components.

Globalization. Mergers. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It should be pride in product and in customer service/relations.

"In any event, how is it more fair to those who've ordered cars to slow down production to fix your car?" Because the customer already has the car and it was purchased/leased to drive. God forbid, he/she depends on it for transportation. The ordered car is just that-a "bunch of parts" waiting to be a car. I understand about production lines etc but have to agree with Doc about misplaced priorities; unfortunately, it seems all to prevalent today. In the end, it's about customer loyalty which needs to earned, and generally, so to speak, GM and it's "franchised" dealers don't have a clue nor do they seem to care.
I want add that I have a great salesman at the Chevy dealer, but he is thwarted at every level other than sales and even there they keep adding more sales people that don't last and leave residual problems for people whom do care to take care of. End of rant!

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Doc, with all the problems you have with cars you might think about buying a horse.
Well maybe not, with your luck he would probobly break a leg.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Doc, with all the problems you have with cars you might think about buying a horse.
Well maybe not, with your luck he would probobly break a leg.

Or he would get thrown off and break his neck :lol:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Geez...I hope Doc is in the right frame of mind to laugh at all the jeering he's getting. I feel for you Doc. I think you have every right to be pissed. I just wish that there was something we could do about your plight.

Hang in there. It can only get better??

Charlie

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey look at it this way, I like a fine wine have mellowed with age. Look at the trail of ranting post back when the Z06 was breakin something every time I turned around. First clutch for the C6 took 3 1/2 weeks for parts which in turn helped the synchro to crash which caused whatever to happen to the clutch which was replaced for a second time. Have you seen me ranting excessively, I don't think so. It does no good, talking to the powers that be at GM who are here on this site seems to matter not, they see this stuff about problems and do they do the right thing; NO. I knew what i was getting into, bang for the buck still goes to the Vette even when I factor in the ag. It is sad that I have come to accept that when the letters GM are attached to the same sentence as manufactured that one's level of expectation has to be lowered substantially. What kind of stories do you think we will be seeing here in 6 months when the C6 Z06 has been out for a while. For crying out loud, the C6 has been out for a year and they still have parts that are not available. Give me a frickin' break. I am a Rolex dealer and have been since 1977, do you think this has ever happened to me. I don't think so; not once, less than zero times. And by the way quickZ, if they have the just in time parts for manufacture down to a science, why don't they have spares just in time? They surely by now have a statistical model of the most prone to failure components in the C6 platform based on 12 months of service records. Not one frickin radio in the country and they have already issued the bulletin for the known issue. :bs: I say. People that have cars waiting for assembly, IMHO should be second in line to those already owning, when it comes to parts. And I agree Z06phile, they should hire me to pre test their cars. They know where I am and from what I hear from a few on this forum, they know me by first name in some circles at GM. Hey, I'll pay for the gas.
Doc E.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dr.Electron is 100% correct. next vacation or flight you go on "We are sorry passengers but your flight is canceled indefinitely due to lack of parts"

Sabot

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Dr.Electron said:

Doc E.
This is the first I've heard of the shortage of fuel sending units ! But now it makes sense ! I took my 02 in for the fuel guage after filling up taking 20 minutes to show full ! When I picked it up they said they replaced both low level sensors ! i knew that this didn't make sense !

Rob

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You guys write emotional pieces, but I do not think you are paying much attention to the facts. This happens to all car companies today--I gave my example of the Audi, and my wife's Expedition--not exactly a limited production car--needed a new seatbelt roller and the dealer had to order it, for chrissakes, and it still isn't here.

Guys, we do not have dozens of US suppliers making parts for us anymore. Heck, stock C5 brake rotors come from--Brazil.

My post was very logical and accurate. I am sorry it doesn't register any better. Complain all you want, but the world has changed and our lack of national unity is in part responsible as we have slit our own throats and sent so much manf capacity overseas. Gm doesn't make all of its parts internally at Delco plants it owns in Michigan or Ohio anymore and they must wait in line for parts like everyone else.

Oh, by the way--the US military's next assault rifle, replacing the M16, is going to be an HK. Why? We really don't have the capacity here anymore. HK may throw us a bone and build it at a new SC plant they are supposedly building, but still--this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
558 Posts
QuickZ, I didn't/don't disagree with you other than your question re parts for cars on the road versus parts for cars to be built so to speak; I just don't think it should have gotten to this point. But it apparently has, so what can be done about it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts