Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been on my mind for quite some time. I would like to invite 16 baddest Vettes to a "run what you brung" race in mid-November for a day of fun, competition, and a decent payout.

The good news: the rules are simple; there are no rules. You bring your Vette and hope you brought enough. You MUST make a minimum of three qualifying runs but no more than five. This is a heads-up race on a Pro tree; first one to the stripe wins (no dial-in and no break-out but r/t and red-lights count). Your best e.t. will determine your seed. We'll run eliminations on a pro ladder basis; 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, etc.

The not-so-good news: the entry fee is $500. This includes the cost of the track rental (this will take place at a private rental). The cost breakdown and payout is as follows:

Total purse based on a 16 car field: $8,000
Cost of track rental and full track prep: approximately $2,000
Remainig purse for payout: $6,000
Ever penny is going towards the track rental and payout.

1st place: $3,000
2nd place: $2,000
3rd place: $1,000

If you're thinking "I can't compete in this, I'll get killed" I'd like to remind you that ANYTHING can happen in racing. Breakdowns, foul starts, poor reaction times, etc. I've lost to cars that I should have beaten and won against cars I should have lost to. Don't sell yourself short!

Soooooo, c'mon guys! There are a bunch of very capable tuners that have turned out totally bad ass Vettes. I'd love to see this race come to fruition. Let's seperate the men from the boys! :lol:

First 16 drivers to PM me are in. You'll have to PayPal me 100% of the entry fee to secure a spot. If you can not make the race, you foreit the fee. You may resell your entry to another driver. Sorry, guys, but I have gotten screwed out of money on way too many rentals so I'm not eating $500 entries. If the field is not full, payout money is going to be pro-rated. I will return all entry fees if the field is less than 10 cars.

If you think about it, this isn't a bad deal at all. It costs close to $200 anyway to get in on a rental with full track prep. Now you have a shot at doubling your money just by placing 3rd.

There's plenty of time to get this organized but I'd like commitments as soon as possible. I'm hoping to see cars from Vette Doctors, Cartek, ECS, LPE, MTI, MDMC, 21MC or any do-it-yourselver.

It's on like Donkey Kong, biatch! :lol:

Paul
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
For some reason I don't think you're going to have too many takers. Could be that you have a 9 second Vette that's knocking on the 8 second door. :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Case, this is open to ALL Corvettes. There are plenty of 9, 8, and even 7 second cars out there. I just didn't want to leave my Z06 buthas out of this. And, like I said, ANYTHING can happen in racing. Last Saturday I lost in the finals to a mid-10 second Impala because I developed a trans problem on the line and I was DQ'd when my car rolled out of the stage beam.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Z06 Butterfly said:
Sounds Fun!
You should enter...I'll be your pit boss. You can win with girl power! :D

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Paul said:
Case, this is open to ALL Corvettes. There are plenty of 9, 8, and even 7 second cars out there. I just didn't want to leave my Z06 buthas out of this. And, like I said, ANYTHING can happen in racing. Last Saturday I lost in the finals to a mid-10 second Impala because I developed a trans problem on the line and I was DQ'd when my car rolled out of the stage beam.
Paul...I need a lot more seat time and a lot more power to compete in your league. I still haven't gone fast enough to get kicked off the track! :rofl:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Paul,
Why not get the 'Clown shoes' involved??
I'd love to see you smoke a Hennessey preped Viper or John himself!!

Just a thought
Ken

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kens06 said:
Paul,
Why not get the 'Clown shoes' involved??
I'd love to see you smoke a Hennessey preped Viper or John himself!!

Just a thought
Ken
I've thought about it but the Vette vs Viper thing complicates things. Most Viper owners have little to no safety equipment in their cars (their first question about a race is regarding how strict tech inspection is), a lot of them pack huge power but don't drag race often, they usually like Viper only events, etc. How do I know? I own a Viper. :rofl: At this level, it ain't no joke and you better have your head screwed on real straight. I don't need to see anyone get hurt because they were running 9.2s @ 160+ mph with no rollcage and little racing experience.

As far as spanking their butts, there are now two 6-speed Vipers with independent rear suspension running 8s and a bunch in low 9s. Hennessey turns out some quick cars but the tuners to beat right now are Jason Heffner and Underground Racing. My car is quick and getting quicker but I'd have trouble with at least those two cars. Chad Williams' car went 8.2s with an auto trans. That's 8/10 of a second quicker than I've ever gone. Shaving off 8/10 is a very tall order for my car. Impossible, actually. I should be running few tenths quicker by the end of the year but never below 8.5s. It's just beyond my car's current build to be going that quick/fast.

Paul

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If you have around enough HP to enter, you definitely have the $500 to enter.

A thought, you should split between N/A and Forced, get more cars and both classes can make money.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I'd go....and race.....but I am NOT driving to where is it!?! Jersey?? Ah hell no. I can make more money in the time it takes for me to drive there and back. Thanks for the invite, Paul.....but I think I'm honestly still gonna have to "stay on the porch":D

Now if "redgar" shows up....I'll be real impressed!!

-Tony

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
just open the event to any 1990+ production car, you'll attract more of a local crowd. Just run a tech inspection to make sure the event is safe.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm staying away from classes and as many rules as possible. Right now, I'm only concentrating on Corvettes. There are plenty of very quick Vettes out there that can fill the field. It's just a matter of commitment....... and some balls. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robiferretti said:
i have balls and i can commit, but i also have a 10 second car with a 12 second driver, i'ld need a witch doctor with me to win.
:rofl: Actually, some guys expressed interest in racing against Vipers. Now there are 2 that have run 8s and at least another 2 that are capable of 8s. A bunch running in the low 9s. I really wanted this to be a Corvette only event but Vettes vs. Vipers would be pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey Paul, after looking at your car in your sig, I think we've lined up once in Englishtown. It was actually my last race there before moving to Florida. You probably won't remember the race but, I sure do...LOL

It was funny because we lined up and you hit like a 1.5 60ft or so and I was far behind you. Then you hit second and the ass started to come out and I was worried you were gonna lose control but, I kept going. To make a long story short, you slid around a bit, hit your brakes and still managed a 10 something...LOL

I was actually in an all motor Honda Civic and ran 13.3 I believe. Which was a decent run for me back in the day :) I was drooling over your car the whole day though...

I probably still have the timeslip somewhere. This was probably 3-4 years ago.

I just figure it was you because looking at your times and the course of events and how they played out, there's not that many cars that can have that happen and still punch out 10's :)

Miguel

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Can someone lend me $500? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll pay you back if I win.....I mean...WHEN I WIN! Hahahaha...Sounds like a great time. Wish i could be there to see it too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, I do remember and that wasn't so long ago. That was last year. I had serious traction issues back then:eek: Car's much better now. Ran an 8.63 @ 157 recently.:yeadog:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good call. I should copy the new format here too. Here it is:

When/where: Friday November 18 @ Atco Raceway, NJ

Entry fee: $300 instead of $500. Covers track rental ($200/car), full track prep, rest goes to food and drinks. No refunds. You must sell your spot to someone else if you can't make it. If the event is rained out and it's too late for a make-up date, I will refund everyone's money except for about $20 to cover the non-refundable deposit that I must place for the rental. The event would then be moved to Spring of 2006.

Payouts: None (due to the lowered fee). If any shop wishes to contribute, then we'll arrange payouts for different categories (reaction times, most wins, widest/narrowest margin of victory, etc.) Side bets between racers are fair game.

Rules: As before, there aren't any. Run what you brung and don't complain if you get smoked because now you can choose your opponent.

Format: Grudge matches. Each racer who wishes to participate must give me a definite commitment (that includes PayPal or check because I'm done with losing money on the rentals) in this thread and call out their opponent(s). Obviously, not every opponent you call out is going to accept the challenge or attend the race so have some back-up plans.

First 16 to respond with a commitment and challenge(s) are in. I will keep an alternate list in case there are more people interested than there are spots. If that becomes the case, I will talk to Atco to see if we can make it on a Saturday.

This is our chance to end the season with a big bang. This format allows just about anyone to participate. It's intended to be competitive but FUN. I don't want any BS! You can talk all the smack you want but DO NOT make things personal. Like the saying goes, "When the lights drop, the bs stops."

I have a list of participants going on another forum as well. If you wish to check out your competition, look here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1552128413#post1552128413

1 - 19 of 19 Posts