Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a nail in the tire........so I go to Goodyear to get it fixed. No wheel lock key. :bmad: I bought the car used from a dealer and I did not think to check for the lock. I checked the owners manual and looked in the truck as stated in the manual, no luck. Can I get a replacement lock key from a chevy dealer?

Suggestions please.........thanks.........John

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
If you have a key lock number, you can get a replacement. If you need it off NOW, you can use the same methods that thieves use.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If I were you, I would just have them break the locks off and be done with it. Replace them with some regular lugs. It happened to me twice. I went to get my tires rotated and balance and they couldn't find the key. So, I had them break them off. Anyways, I went and ordered a new set. Later on I was in Phoenix and got a nail in my tire. I took it to Discount Tire to get it fixed and guess what, no key, again. After that I said the hell with it. I drove all the way back to TX, and had them break them off again. After that I just had them replace all four with regular lugs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me (on my Accord though). It wasn't until I Got a flat in the middle of nowhere that I realized that I didn't have the Key. (I bought the car used a few months prior and never thought to look). Since I wasn't able to install the spare on the side of the road, I ended up having to get it towed ($100), then having the tire place remove the lock by force (along w/ the other 3 locks) for $95 (1 hour of labor) and replace them standard lugs ($10 for standard lugs). Then buy a new tire ($90). At $300 total, It was the most expensive "passenger-car" flat tire I ever had. All because of a lousy set of locking lugs that (real) theives don't even blink at. They're not worth the effort in my opinion. They keep honest people honest, and car owners w/ flat tires in misery.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Removing the locks is pretty easy Get a DEEP WELL 13/16 socket and tap it onto the lock with a hammer. Then just put a breaker bar on it and crank it right off. To get the bolt out of the socket, get a stud and run it through the opening on the socket that you put the wrench. then set the socket on another socket with a slightly larger diameter than the stuck bolt and give it a good wack with the hammer to set it free.

If you can't separate the socket and the bolt, just buy 4 sockets and dispose of them when you're finished.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree, get rid of the lock nuts as any theif isn't going to stopped by it. Not sure why the industry still uses them.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ebbsnflows said:
I had the same thing happen to me (on my Accord though). It wasn't until I Got a flat in the middle of nowhere that I realized that I didn't have the Key. (I bought the car used a few months prior and never thought to look). Since I wasn't able to install the spare on the side of the road, I ended up having to get it towed ($100), then having the tire place remove the lock by force (along w/ the other 3 locks) for $95 (1 hour of labor) and replace them standard lugs ($10 for standard lugs). Then buy a new tire ($90). At $300 total, It was the most expensive "passenger-car" flat tire I ever had. All because of a lousy set of locking lugs that (real) theives don't even blink at. They're not worth the effort in my opinion. They keep honest people honest, and car owners w/ flat tires in misery.

Damn it took my buddy at discount tire 5 minutes, and I think he threw the lugs in free. So in total it cost me, let me see, carry the 2, divide, umm, $0.

I think you got screwed for that nail. :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had this happen to me. The Dealer has a set of locks. One of them fit my locks. One of them will fit your locks. They probably wouldn't even charge you to figure out which one you needed and then order it for you. Mine didn't.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think he got screwed, he got nailed though. :rofl: No really the only thing he did get screwed on was the 95$ labor charge for removing the locks, that seems ridiculous to me. Dr.Bigg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts