Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I took my car to a very knowledgeable Chevrolet Dealer (Criswell in Gaithersburg, MD) to checkout my C5 MN6 for drive train noise that can be heard from about 30 MPH up and then essentially all the way down to stop. The noise really sounds like a bad wheel bearing from the “old days” when wheel bearings were a real maintenance issue. The dealer found nothing wrong with the drive train. The car has 18,000 miles on the OEM tires that are not yet worn out. They will not be replaced with the same. PLEAESE respond if you have a clue as to where to look for this noise. Could it really be the tires? Thanks for any response.

Patrick

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Patrick,

Is the noise more Prounounced when cold..............?
Or, if you are turning the car, no matter how sharp or shallow??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Patrick,

Are you running the EMT's?? They become very noisy after a period of time. In fact, even though I had only 20,000 miles on my EMTs on previous Vettes, I had to change the tires because the noise drove me crazy...crazier!! :D Something about the EMTs, they become very loud after a period of time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
my tires are pretty loud......but if it is the same exact sound on all kinds of pavement,could be something else,but I don't think so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, during the past 2 days, I drove the C5 1,100 miles. This was over a number of road surfaces and through different weather. The one thing that made a real difference was the outside temperature. It seems like the sound goes pretty much goes away if it is cold out - say below 40F. That does seem to make a difference. A real car freak friend of mine in Ohio said that it really sounds like a wheel bearing but neither the Hubs nor the wheel are even warm - also Criswell said the wheel bearings were fine. Comments?

Patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts