Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen and read about this here but I cannot find it :mad: - thus I apologize in advance.

I've noticed a very pronounced whine (I can hear it over my PRTs...) coming from the rear (I think...) when I am turning at low speeds especially pulling into a tight parking spot in 1st and when taking offing in 1st with the wheel turned. I can take off straight line and there's no noise whatsoever. It only occurs when I have the wheel turned and at low speeds.

It appears to originate from the rear but b/c I only hear it when I have the wheel turned, I want to think it's coming from the front. Is this normal or do I have a problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
"Whine" usually means fairly high frequency. When you're pulling in to a parking spot, there isn't anything in the rear end that's turning fast enough to make a whining noise. Odds are, what you're hearing is the Power Steering pump, which has been known to make a whine when turned hard to the lock. Try just turning the steering wheel as far as it'll go, without actually moving the car. Push the wheel hard against the lock and see if you hear the noise. You might need to rev the engine slightly to make it loud enough to hear.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RocketSled, you're right whine is probably a very poor description- I really suck at trying to describe odd sounds... I will try what you suggested.

It almost sounds like a 5-speed import (Honda especially) in reverse, it's the same kind of whirring type of sound but much louder.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
My vote goes for the Power Steering pump. Next time you hear the noise back off a little on the steering wheel and see if it stops. Also check your Power Steering fluid level. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tried what RocketSled suggested and that's not it. Yes, the power steering pump does make a little noise but it's insignificant and not the source of my current problem.

I went ahead and took it into the shop this morning for some other minor warranty items and took the svc advisor for a ride and reproduced it almost on command. He acknowledged the problem but he too was hard pressed to describe it but said he'd have their tech look at it. Fingers crossed...

22655TD, I wish I knew what a bad front wheel bearing sounded like. If that's it and they can replace it w/o tearing the car apart diagnosing it, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks again for the input guys. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts