Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z06 was making a tapping noise, especially when cold. The Chevy dealer said it had "rattling pistons" or somesuch. He said it was on the left side, and the pistons would be replaced. It is warranty work, and there was a service bulletin about it.

Has anyone experienced this? How did it turn out? Also, is it desirable to do only one side of the engine? Will it be the same afterwards?

What are the consequences of not having the fix?

Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Wow, you actually found a dealer that would fix that? The correct term for the problem is normally called cold piston slap. GM normally states that the problem is normal for pretty much every engine they produce. One thing to keep in mind is that even if you have a car that doesn't have piston slap, the LS6 valvetrain still tends to be pretty noisy because of cam geometry and the fuel injectors. If it's running normal, it probably will sound something like an old sewing machine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it is a good idea to fix it? Especially since it will be only on one side? Any long term consequences that you know of?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Actu 8 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it is a good idea to fix it? Especially since it will be only on one side? Any long term consequences that you know of?

Thanks
You will want to go with all eight pistons not just the one bank. That would be in my estimation a very foolish thing to do. Ask to see the service bulletin. Have him or her show you where it says four pistons. It should say all eight. If they try to replace just four that is B.S.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Actu 8 said:
My Z06 was making a tapping noise, especially when cold. The Chevy dealer said it had "rattling pistons" or somesuch.
So I take it that this "tapping noise" is still there (but reduced) after the engine has warmed up?

My 2002 Zee has some slight cold piston slap, but it goes away in a couple of minutes. When the engine is fully hot it sounds pretty quiet except for the normal valve train and injector noise. I don't consider mine to be excessive or abnormal.

You might want to investigate this some more before letting them tear into your motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts