Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be hearing a small ringing type noise coming from the shift knob under acceleration! Is this normal If I hold the shifter under acc. I do not hear the noise/vibration! its not loud however I am Anal over any noise!
thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is this with the stock shifter ? Some people have reported a noise in the ripper with the stock shifter knob. I didn't have any noise in my stock shifter. I haven't got to drive the car with the ripper yet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I hear that noise with the ripper. At first it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from. I got used to it quickly.

Also, I have an aftermarket shifter on my Camaro SS. It is noisy as well. I didn't do the install on the Z06 (it was already on the car) but I did install the shifter on the SS. There is no rubber bushing on the stick on the aftermarket shifter like the stock one. I am sure that is why it is louder. But I prefer the firm, accurate shifts to the quiet.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Do you still have the stock shifter knob?If you do then take it off and re-tighten it. I did it and it cured that noise under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I never noticed a problem with my MOMO knob making any noise when I had the old PRTs on. But the new set is so much quieter, that now I'm noticing a little buzzing noise coming from the shifter under acceleration. Its not bad, but I know its there.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Incidentally, how are you guys "tightening" the stock knob? Doesn't it not want to screw on past a certain point (before you have to put the pin back in inline with the slot)? Please explain! Thanks!

-Kirk

PS -- Had a Kirban in the Z for two trips around the black before deciding that I didn't want to deal with the noise/heat/vibrations. Like Frank intimated, once I hear the noise, even if I dampen it, I tend to "know" it's there (and it ends up bugging the crap out of me). Back to stock for now!

·
Registered
906 Posts
KM... I'm on month 2 with the Kirban...I love it! It now feels like working the bolt action on a fine custom Magnum rifle. Smooth & Positve, It has transformed the Z driving experience... and the wife hates it! Keeps her in the BabyBenz®! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

HarleyB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts