Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, iwas wondering if anyone experimentad with nos-propane. i know brt does, but i wanted somebody who actally used it. im currently running 250 port injected afr heads comp cam 390 rear and 315 drag radials and run 10.50s and want to get in 9s with this setup. thanks gary at [email protected] :screwy: :screwy: :sneaky: :sneaky:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I haven't seen it done on a Vette but I know that BTR makes a kit for both the Viper and the Vette. My buddy has a N2O/Propane kit on his Viper. He's had very good luck with it. It burns so clean.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A alot of the viper guys use the BTR kit due to the factory forged internals of the vipers. Most are 200+ shots. I know one 03 viper installed a btr kit and put down 670RWHP on an otherwise stock (440rwhp) viper.

I havent seen many kits on the vettes. But if you have forged internals and want to do a big shot you could take a look at the website and make a few phone calls. Let us know how it turns out. And good job on the 10.5 That is a fast car you got there. :coo:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Sorry...I'm ignorant to the benefits of running propane along with the nitrous. I glanced at the website but, could someone please explain in detail how this works. :cheers:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Casey the idea is that its very cheap safe way to use nitrous. The butane is very high octane and you won't need to run race fuel with it. It burns real clean and is a reliable way to use nitrous. The only downside I can see is the butane tank taking up room in the trunk.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to look into that kit. I wonder if I could get away with running my planned 200 shot without having to upgrade the fuel system any more than my 36# injectors? :cheers:

·
Registered
290 Posts
The results below were with all stock internals, Vec 2 with fuel and timing set to zero and BTR's Nitrous/Propane Kit. Jet sizes were 67/67 with an AFR of 11.5-11.8. Check out the torque at 3500 rpm's. Of course this is all on an 03 viper.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
That's awesome! I don't use the trunk anyway. I'm gonna call MTI later and ask about that. :yeadog:

I'm still going to have to upgrade the fuel system...but, let me make sure I have this right...I can run an all motor tune with no timing pulled and be good to go?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is off the btr site it's hard to find so I thought I'd post it because it shows the potential of this set-up. Pics and dyno also, if you click link.

LS-1 Nitrous and Propane Injection System

This system is designed SPECIFICALLY FOR THE LS-1 CORVETTE, not a generic kit that requires several trips to the hardware store to fit your car.

Taken from our very popular and powerful Viper kit, our own Corvette C-5 produced over 400 Rear Wheel Horsepower and almost 500 Ft/lbs of Rear Wheel Torque! (that's 472 flywheel horsepower and 550 flywheel torque) Take a look
at the Dyno sheets. NOTE how RICH the mixture ran(10.0 air/fuel is the bottom-rich of the scale). This is conservative off of the scale! The car would have made A LOT more HP should we have elected to Lean out the Air/Fuel ratio to 12.0 which is the norm for nitrous applications.

The kit is adjustable from 70 to 150 hp and can be bought and used without propane for lower hp applications. The kit includes features like a 15 pound bottle with high flow valve and gauge, blow down tube, microswitch activation, dual solenoids for added safety, 5 pound DOT and ANSI approved
refillable propane bottle with gauge, all electrical hardware, complete installation instructions and jetting guide, discrete mounting for virtually invisible installation, and design features like injector mounting forward of the throttle body for added safety

The following timeslip shows what OUR OWN car ran with the nitrous and propane flowing. The car is the same one as above and used the TRACTION CONTROL with stock Run Flat tires.

Complete kit Introductory priced at $ 1,299.00

Nitrous kit only $ 729.00

Propane upgrade for existing kits $ 579.00
BTR C5 NOS 5177 and propane link

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I was talking with one of the guys from the shop today...and he pointed something out that I never really though about. If you drive around with a propane tank in your car...you're taking your life into your own hands. What happens if you have a wreck? You have one hell of a car bomb. :eek2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a n2o bottle explosion in a Maxima. With the addition of propane would there have been anything left?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
case2307 said:
I was talking with one of the guys from the shop today...and he pointed something out that I never really though about. If you drive around with a propane tank in your car...you're taking your life into your own hands. What happens if you have a wreck? You have one hell of a car bomb. :eek2:
I always wondered about that - and don't we have propane powered buses running around Houston?

·
Registered
142 Posts
WayneE said:
That's a little misleading, N2O isn't flammable, unlike Propane. The Maxima in that picture had too many blowoff disks in the bottle and left the heater on.
Correct, but do you think the propane would have survived? Probably would have burned the place down with the added fire bomb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts