Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car sits 4 inches at front jack point, 4.5 inches at rear jack point had car aligned and tech said he could get only 1.8 degrees neg on front. At the track, This resulted in shoulder wear on my Michelin PS2's. Temps were 20 degrees cooler on inner shoulder , which isn;'t a bad spread, just would have thought there would be some heat on inner shoulders with the -1.8 camber. How can I get it lower that bottom of the stock bolts to gain neg camber. Oh , and I have t-1 shocks mounted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn’t see any other replies, so here goes: FWIW, my ‘01 and ‘07 ZO6s both had the opposite problem. Excessive negative camber cause excessive wear on the inner side of the front tires. Both cars had steel belt material showing on the OEM tires before I realized the situation.
I’d check your alignment guy’s expertise with Corvettes, or try another shop. Usually Chevrolet dealer shops will not align out of the official specs, which usually means excessive negative camber for street driving.

Cheers,
Pete

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
Outer front tire wear with -1.8* on the fronts? Sounds like your alignment guy gave you +1.8* not negative.

As noted above -1.8* will scrub your inner tire edge to the cords.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Outer front tire wear with -1.8* on the fronts? Sounds like your alignment guy gave you +1.8* not negative.

As noted above -1.8* will scrub your inner tire edge to the cords.
REally? If that is so, why does T1 camber plate give -2.5 and more? Subdriver runs -3.0 IIRC. I was finally after much fiddling, able to get -2.5 DIY alignment, and my Michelin PS2 tire temps were all within 20 degrees. at Pacific Raceways w ambient 79 degr. Last week. I didn't measure track temp tho. OUter shoulders wear pattern remained unchanged from the abnormal wear I incurred after the dealer alignment of -1.8. FWIW

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
REally? If that is so, why does T1 camber plate give -2.5 and more? Subdriver runs -3.0 IIRC. I was finally after much fiddling, able to get -2.5 DIY alignment, and my Michelin PS2 tire temps were all within 20 degrees. at Pacific Raceways w ambient 79 degr. Last week. I didn't measure track temp tho. OUter shoulders wear pattern remained unchanged from the abnormal wear I incurred after the dealer alignment of -1.8. FWIW
I am not arguing that extreme camber is not recommended for good turn in and grip mid corner as the load shifts, I am just very surprised at outer tire wear on the street if the front alignment is good and it is at -1.8*. Maybe toe is all screwed up.

When my C5 was new I experienced extreme inner front tire wear and that was due to original 2001 C5 Z06 camber as recommended on the owners VHS cassette. Yes, I watched the VHS at the time - I may still have that VCR player int he attic LOL.

That was about -1.5* to -1.7*.

Went to a neutral camber and wear was back to acceptable levels on the street.

In about 2005 I switched to camber plates and was able to switch between -1.4* and -2.2* right in my drive way. But understand that to get -2.2* I also needed longer lower control arm bolts and spacers. There was no way stock lower control arm mount would allow that aggressive camber with the stock 17" front wheels and tire profile.

When I started running rear wheels on the front with 305's I needed to add upper control arm bolt spacers to push the upper and lower control arms out for steering clearance and the ability to bump my camber to -3.0*

I now run C6 GS wheels and tires for a more medium setup and run about -2.2* on the streets and for the very occasional track day - fills the flared front fenders and allows full turning and reasonable tire wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tire wear on the outer shoulder with the -1.8 degr was all track wear, not street. I had real hot shoulders when I checked temps. Tried 45 PSI hot to try to save the tires. When I finally learned to DIY alignment, I set it at -2.5, but Zero toe just because I have long drives to my tracks, and try to save the tires where I can. BTW, I aligned it to zero toe, since I HPDE, not race, so if I lose a couple tenths, well, the GT3's are going to pass me all day anyway. I'm referring to how increased toe in or out can increase tire wear.

and re your settings and wheels,: All that work and only "occasional track day"??? Man, I'd drive that thing like I stole it, till I ran outta cheddar!

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
The tire wear on the outer shoulder with the -1.8 degr was all track wear, not street. I had real hot shoulders when I checked temps. Tried 45 PSI hot to try to save the tires. When I finally learned to DIY alignment, I set it at -2.5, but Zero toe just because I have long drives to my tracks, and try to save the tires where I can. BTW, I aligned it to zero toe, since I HPDE, not race, so if I lose a couple tenths, well, the GT3's are going to pass me all day anyway. I'm referring to how increased toe in or out can increase tire wear.

and re your settings and wheels,: All that work and only "occasional track day"??? Man, I'd drive that thing like I stole it, till I ran outta cheddar!
LOL - yeah, lots of bloody work over the last 18 years. The only stock pieces left on my car are the roof, doors and window glass. Everything else has been swapped, modded or deleted :)
I may finally get round to swapping in some LG drop spindles this winter.

The current build state.

In 2007 when the 600rwhp 427 went in.

And when I had more time for track play...

And an early YouTube walk around - back when 480p was as good as it got LOL >:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts