Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm going to go ahead and cut the front bushings on my Z to get it a little lower in the front. But, I have some questions...

Since I don't want it to go TOO low, I am considering only cutting off the FIRST "round" of the bushings (1/3 as opposed to 2/3 of them). Is this a logical thing to do? I realize that if it's not low enough, I'll have to go in and cut more -- which I don't want to have to do -- but I'm thinking that this amount off the bushing should be perfect...

-OR-

If I were to cut 2/3 (like most folks do), and/but if it were too low for my liking, could I just back off the BOLT (and NOT add back the pieces of bushing that were cut off) and still have an as-good-as-can-be-expected ride? I'm wondering if the bushings needs to be sandwiched in there in order for the suspension to work properly, or if there could be some "slack" in there.

I'm looking to do this tomorrow (in time for Carlisle :D), so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
6,273 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
What proexpert said... That way if you want to raise it backup all you need to do is adjust the bolts instead of tearing the front apart again. The back is no problem either way.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Proexpert -- Thanks for the reply!

Now, you removed the bushings & bolts altogether in the front? Wow... How's the ride? The height certainly looks great. That's the kind of space in the front wheel well that I'm looking for...

Suppose I DO cut 2/3 of the bushing off, can I (like I suggested in my initial post), can I still back out the bolt (raise the nose later) without ADDING the pieces of bushing back in?

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can raise the front back up later if necessary with a 10mm wrench. Turn clock wise. You may have to take a little of the pressure off of the spring to make it easier. With the length of the bushing threads you should be able to achive almost the stock ride height (4X4).

I left about 3/16 of an inch of bushing on mine.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your continued help, guys! (This may be the first ever PA-only thread, huh?! Cool!)

Any idea what you guys are measuring from the ground to the top of the arc of your front wheel wells after lowering? Right now, after the no-cutting lowering approach, I'm at just under 27" (between 26-3/4" & 26-7/8"). I'd like to at somewhere between 26-1/4" and 26-1/2". Anything lower than that (for me), and it'd be a bit too low.

Thanks again, guys! :D

-Kirk

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you measure a straight line up at the center of the wheel. I have 27" in the rear and 26 and 1/4 in the front.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
My air dam in the front is 1.5" from the road. Okay I'm acting like my 16 year old son, so what? I just think it looks so cool this way, I don't care about the occasional scrape (it's on a hinge) and the ride is fine. Okay it's a bit harsher, harder, rougher, but I still like it, especially on on/off ramps and the faithful empty parking lot. The increase in cornering is cool. I did have it aligned ($95) at all four corners, that is my only cost into the lowering mod.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry about this.....

It's no longer a PA only topic. :)

Oh, yeah.

What's up with the Spice Girls poster in the background.
Just kidding. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am currently thinking about the same thing(cutting bushings) and I have done it before.
This might work:
Have someone sit in the driver's seat of the car and measure how much the car drops from the normal ride height. (I did this and the car lowered 3/16' with a 180 pound person)
Look at the car at the new ride height and see if you like it.
If so then cut that much of the bushing off.
Or put more weight in the car until you get the desired look and measure the drop. Then cut that much off the bushing.
The reason I suggest this is that the more you cut off the bushing the harsher the ride will be.
Measure twice, cut once.
Also: Save the bushing you cut off.
You may want to add it later. (resale/trade/etc.)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hcvone said:
Kirk, you will not be able to go up my driveway. ;)
So what are you saying, Carl -- I should lower it even MORE?! ;)

Seriously, I think that this is going to bring me right back where the car was before the header install (Ok, maybe a tad lower...). ;) Now, if the front goes TOO low, I'll have to bring some 2x4's with me and ramp up your driveway so that I can get up there and you can help me lower the REAR more to match! LOL :p

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
KMeloney said:
Any idea what you guys are measuring from the ground to the top of the arc of your front wheel wells after lowering? Right now, after the no-cutting lowering approach, I'm at just under 27" (between 26-3/4" & 26-7/8"). I'd like to at somewhere between 26-1/4" and 26-1/2". Anything lower than that (for me), and it'd be a bit too low.

Thanks again, guys! :D

-Kirk
Make sure you go drive the car for a mile or two before measureing. If you had the car jacked up, then just lower it back on the floor and measure without moving the car, the suspension will not be 'settled', and it will read wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts