Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I decided to sell the 01, I had agonized over what colour to order. Kind of wanted to try something else having had three silver C5's in a row.

Love Black, but only when it is really new and clean. Up here in the Pacific Northwest that is a pipe dream with the amount of rain that we get. Loved the red accents on the car and even toyed with the Mod red interior on the black. Sure looked very sexy.

Already have a yellow car that went out of favour for about 20 years. I seemed to be the only one who liked the bright gold with black stripes on the Z28. Oh well, I've had the car since high school and that was the end of that. Besides the MY is a bit tough to get, and some of the guys are complaining about paint matching if it gets dinged. So, no go.

Electron Blue. Everyone wants one of those this year. There is a blue 71 Corvette roadster that I have driven by on my way in and out of our neighborhood for years. It has sat and rotted away for 18 years. So, I passed on EB.

Well that left red. I have never owned a red sports car before. Saw a Torch Red with a Mod red interior at the last winter car show in town at the GM booth. Came back and looked at it a couple of times and decided that it did not look so bad, so I ordered one.

After the car had arrived at the dealership, a couple of days before I took delivery, my wife discovers that I ordered a red car. She is of Asian descent and vowed to never own/drive/get into a red car. Her sister owns a red Volvo and she refuses to get into that car. You have to understand that a lot of our local Asian community loves red cars. She drives a silver Jeep.

Well, after having the car for two months, we had an occasion to go to my daughter's new school for a function. I took the Z06 out and said, well you might as well go in style.

She got in without saying a word.

Then she said.

Why is this one so loud? This one is so much louder than the last one.

So after explaining this and why the ride is stiffer and why this and that sounds louder I realized that we really do have performance sounds back in our "New Muscle Cars" I was so conscious of all of the noises the entire time she was in the car. All of the road noise etc. Never noticed it until she mentioned her comment.

Well, that explains the new 2002 exhaust.

She was quiet the rest of the way.

Aaaaaah. What a pleasant drive that was.

I guess I'll be buying Red cars for the rest of my life and just tell her that they are getting louder.

:guiness: :D :D :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Zapper,

I see Kevslionel Red/Mod Red Z all the time and it is one sharp Z06.

I believe if I had an '02, I would leave the exhaust stock. GM finally has made a rightous sounding Vette.

·
Registered
496 Posts
fcalmes said:
I believe if I had an '02, I would leave the exhaust stock. GM finally has made a rightous sounding Vette.
I like the PRT's on my 2001, but the stock exhaust on the 2002 sounds just as good. I'd leave it also.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ditto on the exhaust

I totaly agree on the exhaust. I heard the 02 Exhaust for the first time last weekend on 4vette's MY 2002 ZO6 (we are in the same corvette club). I thaught it sounded a little better than my 01 with Corsa Indys.:D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, you guys all realize that I would not dream of making the car quieter.........

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Zapper,

Count your blessings! At least your wife didn't explode when she found out you bought a Vette :eek:

Some of us are in the 'Dead Husbands Club' because our wives don't appreciate sports cars. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fourth C5 in 4 years. She does not understand why I keep getting a new car every year when they are just fine when I get them and just fine when I trade them in.

I think I told her that I would be getting a new Corvette every year for the rest of my life. She never objects to my doing things like this as long as we have the money. Cars are always paid for the day I pick them up, so life in the Corvette lane is pretty good.

Now let's see what happens next year. Sure hope that limited edition of 1,000 Corvettes occurs - the ones with the 427 blocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Zapper, I am getting some pressure at this point to sell one of mine from the War Dept (wife). There has to be at least one Torch Red Corvette in the garage, but I really like the Yellow 2002 Z06!! Might end up settling on a 2003 Torch Red Z06 with Modified Red interior??
Where have you been?:-?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been right here, except that this is the busiest time of the year for me with Sept startup. Let me know when you are available and I'll call ya.

Why is the war dept acting up ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Magic Solution

Guys...Guys....Guys.....
Listen to the old man here as I do have the solution. I have always had a "fun" car. '87 Supra Turbo...then an '89 Supra Turbo. Then I turned 50 in '91 and my wife suggested I act my age and get something more "appropriate". OK saith I...got a '91 Maxima...wonderful car but a fun factor of about zero so in '92 I bought a Lexus SC400, probably the finest car I have ever owned but it ain't no sports car...sports/lux cruiser would be more apt. The "itch" came again in '94. My son bought a '94 Supra Twin Turbo....nah, I won't go there again will I? One drive in his and I had my Twin Turbo immediately...then a '97 TT. My wife questioned as to when I would get over this "Mid-life crisis" bit. My response was that of all the guys I knew that hit this mid life bit, they either bought a fun car or chased 20 something women. She gave her blessing to whatever I wanted to drive. When I was Z hunting this summer she knew I would have one but merely suggested a "mild" color.....now being an old fart at 60 I said "sure, no problem". I got a yellow one!!!!!
Anybody have a problem with this?????

·
Registered
51 Posts
gbjerke
That's exactly what I did, got a Yellow one, but also the Modified Red interior, just in case the Yellow was not loud enough. I did not tell her it was coming, but she loves the car. Don't want to part with my red one though.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts