Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, if you are under 11.5 sec, you have to have a roll bar with a forward, door blocking, brace.

And we have from GM a 3.7 0-60 and another post a magazine 1/4 mile of [email protected] (Motor Trend). Just to add to that 0-100 is under 8 seconds and the times are real. Other mags will have similar times.

So, DOT drag tires, any mods, a cool day (I think it was in the 90+F when the mags tested) and a sticky track, and people will be under 11.5.

Does that mean they can't run? I've heard of stories (Supra forum) where someone broke 150mph and they had to go home...no chute. They weren't expecting to be that fast.

Will the Z06 suffer the same fate?

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I think these track rules do not apply to "as shipped OEM stock".

Add mods, ANY mods, and the rules apply - or so I have been told.

·
Registered
390 Posts
RC45 said:
I think these track rules do not apply to "as shipped OEM stock".

Add mods, ANY mods, and the rules apply - or so I have been told.
That is correct.If it totally 100% factory stock,the roll bar rule does not apply.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
ehh...i don't think so.

i'm pretty sure that if you're in a 100% stock and run under an 11.5 you can still get kicked out if the guy's having a bad day.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know, tracks I have run, the rules are adhered to pretty closely. Over a certain speed, you go home without the specified safety equipment.

And "totaly stock" would mean NO drag radials or slicks.

Most drivers won't see 11.5 on run flats in this car, a few may though :)

2Charmed

:thumb:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The 11.5 is for a stock car. I believe a cold air or some stuff like that would still pass.

Based on C5Z06 numbers, many people equal the magazines. However, they ran on a hot day without a lot of rubber on the track. In the Northeast in the spring or the fall, those numbers should be beatable. Which means under 11.5.

For convertibles I believe the number is 14.0, leaving all Corvettes out in the cold.

The insurance for most track should require they adher to the rules. If they let a car run that violated the rules, and someone was hurt (or any other claim related to that car), I believe the insurance company could refuse to pay the claim. So it would have to come out of the track's pockets.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And that is not a nice DE like rear support strut roll bar. It is annoying, block the door front support strut bar!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you run quicker than an 11.50 at a NHRA track and you could be going home. The time slip guy or girl will tell you not to make another pass. I would be honored if I was thrown out because my stock car ran too quick. Not to many people can say that.

You are going to live with a roll bar, like it or not. It could save your life.

D.J.

·
Registered
315 Posts
11.5 is the new limit. This new rule was put in place because of Vipers and Z06 Vettes that can run under 12.0 factory stock. It specifies minimum mods and no slicks. If you run slicks, the old 12.0 rules apply.

The intention was to get more of these supercars to come to the track

I have to tell you, I wouldn't want to run 11.5 at 125 in a convertible Viper. Give me the roll bar in a vert

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
what's the big difference between a roll bar and a cage? i can drive pretty well and will be doing some modding so will need one for sure. How fast can you go with a roll bar without getting kicked? How much to they cost and are they a pain to put in?

thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OneQuickCoupe said:
You are going to live with a roll bar, like it or not. It could save your life.
A roll bar, like those used for DE events, is fine. However the forward braces on the NHRA bars seriously impair street use IMHO.

Yes 11.5 @ 125 is quick. However, that is were this car--and the Ford GT40, Ferrari F430, Ferrari Enzo, new Murceillo, SL65, 997 Turbo etc.--are factory stock.

So this is a problem. Fast car...and no place to use it.

David

P.S.
I believe pure stock allows DOT drag tires. Not slicks, still sticky.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
DavidNJ said:
A roll bar, like those used for DE events, is fine. However the forward braces on the NHRA bars seriously impair street use IMHO.

Yes 11.5 @ 125 is quick. However, that is were this car--and the Ford GT40, Ferrari F430, Ferrari Enzo, new Murceillo, SL65, 997 Turbo etc.--are factory stock.

So this is a problem. Fast car...and no place to use it.

David

P.S.
I believe pure stock allows DOT drag tires. Not slicks, still sticky.
David, I have seen forward facing bars that are hinged at the bottom with a quick pin to release the top. Don't know how legal they are. Have to look at the rule book. If they are hinged at the bottom they should be able to be disconnected when not in use for street driving. I'm not sure if I would want any kind of roll bar in my $70K street car. I would think having a bar like that would be dangerous if you didn't have on a helmet.

D.J. :usa:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm really hoping GM has a roll bar kit for this car. Remember the frame is aluminum. I don't see how the average guy is going to put in a bar without some very specific fabricating of glued or riveted brackets. It would be nice if GM has already put a mount in place. Maybe Rick can check out what Bondurant has done or will do with the C6Z0g.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's even a bigger part of the problem. However, if a roll bar is available, the drag racing rules requires a bar that blocks the door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts