Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm a newb here. i just got my 01 z06 friday and i'm going to replace the cats with straight pipes. i have full corsa exhaust. is this going to make me start throwing codes? are my 02's going to go bad? i'm thinking of doing this in the morning so any help would be appreciated. thanks for your help guys.

WOO HOO, i love my Z :jammin:

Michael

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Yes they go bad and yes you will probably get codes on the rears. I believe you can install 02 simulators and edit out the codes. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
21,378 Posts
Removing your cats will cause you to throw codes. That's the job of the rear O2 sensors. You'll either have to edit the rear O2's out or use O2 simulators. Either way, you can get by until you have that done. You'll just have to put up with the aggravation of the SES light.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
jub jub said:
Removing your cats will cause you to throw codes. That's the job of the rear O2 sensors. You'll either have to edit the rear O2's out or use O2 simulators. Either way, you can get by until you have that done. You'll just have to put up with the aggravation of the SES light.
I said to use 02 sims AND edit the codes...I should have said OR instead of AND as you did. :cheers: .

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, that was fast. thanks

simulators are around 50 bucks right? should any auto part store carry them? i rigged my last car (02 GTI) with spark plug arrestors so it would read at the right temp but i want to do the vette right. no ghetto mods. :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
insert_car said:
wow, that was fast. thanks

simulators are around 50 bucks right? should any auto part store carry them? i rigged my last car (02 GTI) with spark plug arrestors so it would read at the right temp but i want to do the vette right. no ghetto mods. :D
No they are closer to 80.00 and some vendor's charge a lot lot more. I doubt that you will find them locally. Supporting Vendor's are on the left. :cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe you can use the predator programmer to also shut off the 02 sensors. I know I can do it on the stang. I am going to order the programmer and send back the mustang programmer. I believe you can do it on the z06. You can also start with changing the fnas and the temp at which they turn on. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RocketSled said:
Removing the Cats is unlikely to gain you much in RWHP. Why bother?

because aftermarket ones cost $400 :jawdrop: If you have or want to spend the money get aftermarket Cats, If not keep the stock or go without cats, that's my theory :jammin:

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
COUTO1981 said:
because aftermarket ones cost $400 :jawdrop: If you have or want to spend the money get aftermarket Cats, If not keep the stock or go without cats, that's my theory :jammin:
exactly. i just bought the car and i don't have alot of money right now.

the reason i'm doing it in the first place is i think my cats have gone bad. it kinda smells, and it was rattling pretty bad. i took it by an exhaust shop to look at it because i don't have a jack to fit under the car (btw: what do you suggest for that). the guy says the cats are bad but the next itme i drove it the exhaust sounded good again with no rattle. what do you guys think it is. could it still be the cats? thanks

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
insert_car said:
exactly. i just bought the car and i don't have alot of money right now.

the reason i'm doing it in the first place is i think my cats have gone bad. it kinda smells, and it was rattling pretty bad. i took it by an exhaust shop to look at it because i don't have a jack to fit under the car (btw: what do you suggest for that). the guy says the cats are bad but the next itme i drove it the exhaust sounded good again with no rattle. what do you guys think it is. could it still be the cats? thanks

I cut myself some 2x6s and they work great, just drive up on top of them and get a low profile jack, 2x4s would work too, It just takes time and patience to get this car off the ground, Its the price you pay to perform and look great ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts