Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to use one of those 104 or 108 octane booster you can get from the local auto-store??? What about race fuel mix with 93 octane gas?

Thanks,
ddle

·
Registered
309 Posts
What about Turbo 108 Octane Racing Fuel Concentrate? Is it actually racing fuel in a bottle or some type of booster?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm going to jump in here, because as a tuner (who just happens
to be a chemist by education) I can help out :cool:

First, racing fuel is just that.. a fuel.. not additives.

Gasoline is sort of like good chop suey. you're not really sure
you WANT to know what's in it. :lol:

It's a mixture of various petroleum fractions: Alkenes, Alkanes,
Aromatics, and of course the additive package (which used
to include Lead in the "Good old days (tm)"

There are things you can add to unleaded fuel to increase the
octane level. Every one of them that truly works well is either
toxic, illegal, or a bit of both.

Examples are: Toluene, Xylene, Aniline (absorbed thru skin)
Tetraethyl Lead (ditto).. etc.

There are formulae on the web that show how to make a decent
octane booster, which of course isn't sold in little bottles because
every regulatory agency in the world would be at the manuf's.
door with a SWAT team :(

So you get to make it yourself.. (and possibly have some other
regulatory agency think your making dope w/ the chemicals) or
skip it. Sad, but true.

Some additives will increase the POWER of a car on the dyno,
but that DOES NOT mean they have increased the octane
number of the fuel.

If you add any oxygenate into the fuel.. then let the motor
adapt (BLOCK LEARN) you'll get more fuel into the motor with
more "oxygen" (air + oxygenate) hence more power out.

(Hint: all Nitrous is, is a fancy oxygenate)

Hope this helps a bit.

I agree 100% with DRM.. save Octane Boost for the hondas :D

Jim

·
Registered
875 Posts
It works as an octane boost.

As an aromatic it's toxic, maybe carcinogenic, smelly,
and if you use too much you'll have enough carbon
in your exhaust gas stream to mess up your cat.

Jim

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the response, was very insightful. Guess I'll stick with mixing racing fuel and pump gas.

For those in the So Cal, there is a Unocal Station off Cheesbro Rd (101 N.) as well as Tric Racing fuel outlet in Van Nuys.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I may be WAY off base here but...

... if you are running a basically stock engine, it ain't gonna run no better on 100/110 octane racing gasoline as compared to 94 octane pump gas.

Your engine is designed to run on anything from 91 octane up. (it will even run 'decently' on 87) I'll venture to say that anything higher than 91 or 94 yields no perceivable performance gains and merely burns up the dollars in your wallet.

Comments from tuners about all this are welcome. I'll be happy to "shut my mouf" if I'm shown to be way off base.

Charlie

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not looking to run 100/110 Octane. Best I can get in CA is 91. By mixing in some racing fuel I'm hoping to run at about 94-95 Octane.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Hey Marz06...

... I haven't been in sunny California for quite a number of years. Are you telling me that the CARB prohibits anything higher than 91:-?

You guys can't buy Sunoco 94:-? :-?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Hey Marz06...

NYCHASM said:
... I haven't been in sunny California for quite a number of years. Are you telling me that the CARB prohibits anything higher than 91:-?

You guys can't buy Sunoco 94:-? :-?
I don't know about CARB limitations, but you just can't find high octane gas around here. Maybe it exists at some relatively unknown locations, but I've never seen it in the 7 years I've lived in the Bay Area. :roll:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A lot of debate here...

...and on the www.sccaforums.com site concerning 100 Octane. So I bought some at $4.16 9/10 / gal. and ran some dyno runs last Saturday. You can see my results in my post in Racing.

Nutshell: After a learn procedure the 100 octane gave a HP and Tx boost, through in a KN Filter and together you get +18 HP and +16 Tx on a perfectly stock engine.

Read the post and believe.

I would NOT use the octane boosters, but definetly run Sunoco GT100 when I compete and run Sunoco Ultra 94 on the street.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys...

...I had no idea about the lower octane numbers out there on the left coast. I read the thread you had mentioned and wouldn't be at all surprised if we, here on the east coast, fall victim to the same environmentalist wackos.

Hey, I'm all for a super clean environment but things just get out of hand most times and everyone likes good old Uncle Sam watching out for us and making things better and better (read worse and worse).

As long as what I do doesn't have an impact on anyone else...leave me alone. Can someone tell me how using 92 in my car as opposed to 91 will impact on others. I sure can't figure it out.

Charlie

·
Registered
266 Posts
I attended a dyno thing where John R. (Team ZR1) put his scanner on all cars tested. The ones running our junk 91 had the timing back off at max power. There is no doubt we need help in CA.

I wish we had Sunoco. There is Sunoco race gas available here, but none of their great pump gas.

I will keep mixing 100+ race gas with my 91 and be happy.

2k :cool:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've been in CA for 18 years & when I left NY kissed good gas goodbye. I sure do miss the higher octane east coast gas.

In CA the best you can do is 91 unless you find a 76 station that pumps Tric 100. Last time I got Tric it was $4.50 / gal. :eek:

I've been thinking about toluene, but found out it's $8.00 / gal. - :eek: :eek: but it's easier to find than Tric fuel.

If you're wondering about Toluene read this thread.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
DJW:

What do you mean by the learn process? Time for the computer to adjust/tune itself to the new changes or is this something the owner has to adjust?

I thought the computer would pick up this change such as fuel octane etc. and adjust. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do use GT100 fuel and can feel the difference but haven't changed anything other then the octane level(93 to 100).

Thanks, this is an interesting tread.:guiness:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The super 104 and other unleaded race gas formulas actually produce more BTUs per gallon than regular unleaded. If you look at the charts on it vs pump gas it produces more power not by its resistance to detonation (which is a good thing) but simply becasue it makes more power as it burns.

So, yes, we have done some testing and racing unleaded does make more power than regular unleaded.

Its just $4.75/gal is the only problem.

As for Toluene. I don't know that I would mix it over a 15-20% ratio. But most race gas is at least 14% Toluene already. The only problem with Toluene is that it is on the DEA watch list.

Xylene isn't, so it may be easier to get. I can get the stuff down here in Houston, since this is where they load it onto the ships. Other locales may be a bit harder.

As for excessive carbon, from Toluene. I could only see that if you mixed it in such a high percentage that it didn't burn cleanly. Pure Toluene need to be pre-heated before combustion. But if you mix it with some other hydrocarbons (gasoline) I don't really see a carbon or coking issue.

Also there are plenty of testimonials in the turbo buick and Supra forums about its effectiveness. I have yet to seenegative issue with its use, unless folks are complaining about making too much power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts