Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the 2002 Z06 yesterday, so I am very happy. Thanks to all forum members for the checklist items. The car was perfect....except...........it had 8 miles on the ODO!

What ODO readings were on your new Z06 when you took delivery?

I talked to the senior C5 Corvette Tech who prepped the car. He said he was the only person to drive the car after it came off the truck, and that he put 4 miles on it. I inspected the rear tires, and found the ink stripe around the tread circumference, so it didn't appear the tires had been smoked.

Dealer said the truck bill of lading did not indicate ODO reading. The dealer said they have never seen ODO logs from the plant or the trucking companies. Is there any way to get these?

Is there any way to download the cars engine management system logs to see if it has experienced WOT? Am I out of control?
:D :eek: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :D

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
This is very common. Mine had 4 miles on it, and I saw Kerbeck unload it....So they came from the factory...This plus your 4 miles from the tech, 8 miles.

I would not worry yourself with it, just wait till you see what a lot of techs do to it when you bring it in for service....

Until then, enjoy the car.....

:eek:

JC

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Mine came in with 2 miles on the ODO...

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I see a bunch of these cars come in and they all avg. about 5 miles on them from testing them and loading them on the truck. The Tech should put about 4 to 5 miles on them just to make sure all is well with the car. Contrary to what you hear, most techs do respect your car because they for the most part drive a Vette as well.:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine had 13 miles on it when I picked it up. The dealer said it had 8 miles when it was delivered to them and he couldn't explain the other 5 miles. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all...8 miles doesn't feel so bad now...more relaxed & luvin' this machine----yeeehaaa...more seat time comin' up

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
As I pulled into the parking lot at the plant on Monday morning, the first thing I saw was an EB Z06 with all of the shipping prep on it come out of the lot and head toward the back area behind the plant at pretty good velocity. As I left the plant Thursday, another blue vette was doing a series of turns around the parking lot. Museum delivery cars will have 35-40 miles on them at delivery. jerboa :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, based on the posts to this thread, here's a totally unscientific prediction on the average ODO when picking up your Z06 from the Dealer.

This analysis is based on extremely unsound math, highly unimpeachable dealer input :D, guesswork, and a close examination of chicken entrails:

Flip a coin: heads you will get a car with over 7 miles but less than 14; tails, between 2 and 7 miles. You have about a 1 out of a 100 chance of getting a higher mileage car, e.g, the 25 miler.

BG delivery ODO?: see posts from jerboa & others on what to expect.

:guiness:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got one of them high mileage ones - 37 Km.

It was the cleanest and best one I have taken delivery of yet. Maybe that's why the driveline marbles are there sooner than the other two. I hope it was factory testing, cause so far this is a dramatically better / different car than the last two.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I was worried about the mileage too. I think they usually have about 2 miles on the clock when the come off the transport truck.

The first 2002 that I didn't accept had only 4 miles on it. That car was very poorly prepped and had a cracked qtr panel. The first dealer filled the tank, washed it poorly and did little else as far as I can tell. Maybe they put a mile or two on it getting gas to fill the tank.

The second 2002 that I did accept :D had 10 miles on it. The second dealer drove the car to check everything out. At the second dealer, the car was prepped flawlessly. I'm glad they drove it and made sure everything was right on the car. It was not driven hard by the dealer as far as I can tell. It has not used a drop of oil yet with 600 miles on the clock, and it runs absolutely perfect! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2002 came off the truck with only 1 mile on it. Unfortunately the dealer put an additional 6 miles on by the time I picked it up, even though I asked them not to drive it.:( :( I was not very pleased with this action.

Dave

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Zo6Crazy said:
My 2002 came off the truck with only 1 mile on it. Unfortunately the dealer put an additional 6 miles on by the time I picked it up, even though I asked them not to drive it.:( :( I was not very pleased with this action.

Dave
You know they just cant resist smoking off the tires on a Z :D. I told my dealer the same thing -- no 'test' driving by dealer employees! If the shop wants to test drive it after the PDI, they can wait until I come down and ride along with them!

You never know how these guys really 'test' them out once out of sight from the dealership :eek:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What a bunch of paranoids or is it a form of Buyers Remorse. :D

Has it ever occurred to anyone that if there were "zero" miles on the odo, that might be just as bad!

Why?

Remember, the factory is suppose to do a chassis dyno test to verify everything works properly on each car that comes off the line.

According to Frank, they run the car up to 70mph or so at the dyno station. I'd bet that on average the dyno test alone adds at least a mile or two (maybe more) on the odo. Probably for good reason too. If for no other purpose, the dyno test verifies the IP gauges and odometer/trip odo readouts, speedo and tach are calibrated within spec.

Of course, anymore than 4 miles or so, simply means that someone took a "test drive". If it was driven by an authorized factory employee, transport operator or the PDI guy at the dealership, the added mileage should be within reason. Dozens of more miles may still be okay because it may simply mean that the factory did a ride and drive QA "audit". Perhaps, that can be determined somehow by the presence of some kind of QA sticker on the car.

Lets' be realistic, there is really nothing we can do about those initial miles on the car, so why let it bother you? Personally, I'd be more concerned about the appearance (no cracked in the fiberglass, scratches in the paint, including the wheels and no problems with the interior). Also, that there is nothing missing that is suppose to be delivered with the car. And the drivetrain operates smoothly, brakes are good, and there are no funny noises coming from anything on the car or fluid leaks.

If the car checks out by your own detailed QA inspection, consider the delivery a SUCCESS and relish the next many THOUSANDS of miles as the owner of a Z06!!! :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
dsinned -- after that speech, I will have no problem handing the Zs keys to the lotboy and say to him "hey, you work for the dealership, so take her for a spin -- no problemo" :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts