Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enlighten the ignorant please.................:D

Horsepower = Trap Speed..................

Torque = Elapsed Time................

How do these work in conjunction, other than the TQ, for launch, and HP, for speed............?

When is enough, enough?.........

I see NUMEROUS rides, running R W HP & TQ #'s in the450/ 500+ range, and slightly under......and there times are no better than most stock Z's........so, where is that "FINE LINE??".........

And, other than bragging rights.....what's the point??.:-?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The point is that it's up to the driver to figuer out how to get the power to the ground on a race track. Now on the street from a roll it's a bit easer but the practiced driver still has an advantage. The fourm offers grate advice on geting more HP but you can just go buy it, geting a good combination to work is a bit harder, but you can buy it. You can get good advice for free or buy it... utilizing it is up to you,practice your driveing skills and you can put big power down. That is the point. IMHO Ric

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ric

Thanks for keeping this from being a "DEAD THREAD"...........
I agree with you 100%, and figured either YOU or ONE other would address this isssue.........
I was right, thanks........
Point made, understood, and taken to heart........:D

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm going to draw some fire here but...........

I have been lucky enough to spend time with some Pro and almost Pro drag racing teams. I have been a contract engineer to several engine builders, tuners, and equipment manufacturers. I have been associated with the Performance Racing Industry group, a professionals only bunch, for about 10 years.

There are levels of developement that a racer goes through. I've been there. The entry level person wants to buy something, preferrably cheap, that will make them a winner. There is something of a heard mentality that goes on. He got a new whatsit now I need one. If I get enough of these little things I will be King. Something like - If I buy a $1000 camera I'll be able to take great pictures. It's not quite that simple.

Afer the first stage passes, the hard core racer starts to set in. Always analyzing, thinking about how to make things better. Trying to have original thoughts. This is where you can make progress.

I have been trying to encourage some of this original thought process here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Z06LS6 - You're not quite right. When you put a motor on a dyno , the only thing that is physically measured is torque. To this day , I can't believe how many people I talk to that will tell me how much HP their car makes , but they have no idea how much torque it makes or where it makes it. To put it simply ; Torque is the force that actually moves your car. The heavier the car , the more torque you need. HP is a time related function of torque , it tells you how quickly your motor can use the torque that it makes. A dyno MEASURES torque and CALCULATES HP. So , to answer your question:

Trap speed is an indication of HP & torque.

ET is an indication of how efficiently you can put that power to the ground.

That might be over simplifying it a bit , but I think this will help you understand why some people get "the fever". :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
Butcher -

I think you and I could have some meaningful discussions over a few brews.

My experience is that serious drag motors produce max HP and max torque around the same rpm and about the same numbers. I always over plot dyno graphs to see the difference in area under the curve - not just the peaks - to make sure the gains are in a usable range. Drag racers convert the HP they have to the torque they need with gears. The rpm of higher performance engines don't vary much - maybe 1500 - for the whole track. It is only street motors that have peak torque occur at lower rpms. The only times I have been real concerned about torque is for round racers that don't shift (sprints, etc.) and need as much torque as possible coming out of the corners.

I calculate empirical mph HP and ET HP from drag runs to determine the quality of the pass. The closer these numbers are the better the run.

This would be a better talk in person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts