Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a document which deciphered the VIN on the GM site. It had the notation at the bottom "Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved." In defining the # in the 6th position of the VIN, Body Type, it described the "1" as: Two Door Coupe (GM Style 37), "2" as: Two Door Hatchback/Liftback (GM Style 07), and "3" as: Two Door Convertible (GM Style 67). I've always heard the styles refered to as: Hardtop/FRC, Coupe, and Convertible.

So, my question is: Does anyone know what the official nomenclature is of the different body styles?

Just curious.:-?

Don:cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sir,

You have asked a question that will get some adults into fist fight mode.:lol:

Most people, and forums seem to classify the C5 as
a: Convertible
b: Coupe
c: Fixed Roof Coupe or FRC

According to Encarta on line encylopedia:

coupe 2 [koop ] (plural coupes) noun
car with two doors: a car with two doors and a hard, fixed roof that seats two people or has a small rear seat. Also called coupé U.K. term coupé n.1

So, according to the definition, the FRC really is a Coupe. The coupe that is a C5, is really a hatchback/liftback, and the convertible is ... Well, it's a convertible.:D

But, there is something asthetically unpleasing in calling your T-topped, hatchback coupe... a hatchback. Hatchback is reminiscent of a 82 Toyota or something. And for most, if not all Corvette owners, image is everything. So The FRC people gave up the designator, coupe, because FRC sounds cooler. The hatchback people took the designator coupe, because Hatchback sounds so cheesy. The convertible people were going to use the designator, "Coolest, most outrageous Corvette ever built"...

But that was taken by the Z06 folk! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think I've helped in anyway, but I couldn't resist the exercise of writing. Father Larry would have a lot more insight in the semantics of the FRC, but I haven't seen him in a few days.

If your out there Larry, and got your ears on, get in here and save me!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,
You may not have answered my question directly, but you did give me some valuable insight. I.E. Don't refer to a T-top as a Hatchback unless I'm looking to get my lights punched out.:D
sigung86 said:
But, there is something asthetically unpleasing in calling your T-topped, hatchback coupe... a hatchback. Hatchback is reminiscent of a 82 Toyota or something. [/B]
And, I need to add, "Coolest, most outrageous Corvette ever built"... to my vocabulary when talking about the:z:

Also, as an added point, I noticed the window-sticker referred to my FRC as a Hardtop, my CA Registration says it's a Coupe. So, I guess my Vette is everything except a convertible, or a Hatchback/Liftback. Oh yea, it's also called the precursor of the "Coolest, most outrageous Corvette ever built. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don :cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Don,

Thanks for obviously having a sense of humor like mine. Some folks have no room for laughter in this area!:lol:

You could get more questions answered if you show up on Thursday evening for our FRC Chat, 8:00 p.m Central... 9:00 Eastern, 6:00 pm Pacific...

That is, unless you drive a Corvette Hatchback, in which case, you probably don't own a computer!:D :D :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
2KFRC5 said:
I came across a document which deciphered the VIN on the GM site. It had the notation at the bottom "Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved." In defining the # in the 6th position of the VIN, Body Type, it described the "1" as: Two Door Coupe (GM Style 37), "2" as: Two Door Hatchback/Liftback (GM Style 07), and "3" as: Two Door Convertible (GM Style 67). I've always heard the styles refered to as: Hardtop/FRC, Coupe, and Convertible.

So, my question is: Does anyone know what the official nomenclature is of the different body styles?

Just curious.:-?

Don:cheers:
I'm here, and Merry Christimas.

The hardtop that we have is the first fixed roof hardtop WITH a trunk ever to be manufactured in Corvettes history.

A hatchback is like the Nova of the '70's, which is a two door with a glass back that opens, which is part of the roof panel, and is actually called a three door hatchback.

On a 1963 to 1967, which was the first hardtop fastback for Corvette, but didn't actually have a hatch to open or a Targa top also referred to as a T top to remove, was actually a hardtop, but a fastback style where the rear extended to a point. Like the 1971 to 1973 Riverias, which were actually called hardtops.

Back in the fifties, a hardtop was actually a car without a center post. An example would be a 1955 Chevy without a center post extending to the lock pillar. If it did have a center post extending to the lock pillar, then it would be, according to the Motor Vehicle Bureau, a sedan (which actually was stronger structurally.)

Then they had the hardtop series without the center post that had reinforcements in the outer roof rails for added strength, to compensate for not having the post. That's a true hardtop. And, that's what the '99-'00 are classified as. And, if you look at the picture of the red hardtop next to my insignia, you'll see that its an actually advertisement from GM, which states its a hardtop, not an FRC. I believe GM classified our hardtops as a coupe, because they may have gotton lazy, or cost factor, of distinguishing another model, so just used coupe. Just think about it, you are riding with a friend. He owns a coupe, and you own a hardtop, same color. Your friend is speeding and you're not. A cop begins his hot pursuit and calls in to another cop to help him out. He pulls me over instead of my friend, because stated that my car was a coupe. I argue with the cop, that mine is a hardtop, but my registration states coupe. How do I justify that. Imagine the legality involved if the wrong man is caught. Just some food for thought. Someone in GM made an error in classifying these three cars.

I would call our cars an FRC if their was no coupe existing, but being there is a three door coupe in the line, then I would say we have to be considered a hardtop for legal and identification purposes.

Hope I was of some help. I know its very confusing, especially for younger motorists who don't know all the history of sedans, coupes, verts, fastbacks, hardtops, boattails and the list goes on.

Remember," Add the Word Hardtop to Your Corvette Vocabulary"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Official Body Style?

fatherlarry said:

I'm here, and Merry Christimas.

The hardtop that we have is the first fixed roof hardtop WITH a trunk ever to be manufactured in Corvettes history.

A hatchback is like the Nova of the '70's, which is a two door with a glass back that opens, which is part of the roof panel, and is actually called a three door hatchback.

On a 1963 to 1967, which was the first hardtop fastback for Corvette, but didn't actually have a hatch to open or a Targa top also referred to as a T top to remove, was actually a hardtop, but a fastback style where the rear extended to a point. Like the 1971 to 1973 Riverias, which were actually called hardtops.

Back in the fifties, a hardtop was actually a car without a center post. An example would be a 1955 Chevy without a center post extending to the lock pillar. If it did have a center post extending to the lock pillar, then it would be, according to the Motor Vehicle Bureau, a sedan (which actually was stronger structurally.)

Then they had the hardtop series without the center post that had reinforcements in the outer roof rails for added strength, to compensate for not having the post. That's a true hardtop. And, that's what the '99-'00 are classified as. And, if you look at the picture of the red hardtop next to my insignia, you'll see that its an actually advertisement from GM, which states its a hardtop, not an FRC. I believe GM classified our hardtops as a coupe, because they may have gotton lazy, or cost factor, of distinguishing another model, so just used coupe. Just think about it, you are riding with a friend. He owns a coupe, and you own a hardtop, same color. Your friend is speeding and you're not. A cop begins his hot pursuit and calls in to another cop to help him out. He pulls me over instead of my friend, because stated that my car was a coupe. I argue with the cop, that mine is a hardtop, but my registration states coupe. How do I justify that. Imagine the legality involved if the wrong man is caught. Just some food for thought. Someone in GM made an error in classifying these three cars.

I would call our cars an FRC if their was no coupe existing, but being there is a three door coupe in the line, then I would say we have to be considered a hardtop for legal and identification purposes.

Hope I was of some help. I know its very confusing, especially for younger motorists who don't know all the history of sedans, coupes, verts, fastbacks, hardtops, boattails and the list goes on.

Remember," Add the Word Hardtop to Your Corvette Vocabulary"
Oh, I get it now!:roll: :roll: :roll: (Closest thing I could find to a spinning head)
Also, how about the roadster. I've heard the convertible referred to as that? :D

Don

·
Registered
214 Posts
WOW! You guys are deep. I just Zaino and drive mine. FRC, Coupe, hatch, lift, T.....I call her a BAMF! Just enjoy it! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
GlenBo said:
WOW! You guys are deep. I just Zaino and drive mine. FRC, Coupe, hatch, lift, T.....I call her a BAMF! Just enjoy it! :cheers:
Funny... My window sheet lists mine as a FRC - MFBA!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care,

Dan

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Official Body Style?

2KFRC5 said:

Oh, I get it now!:roll: :roll: :roll: (Closest thing I could find to a spinning head)
Also, how about the roadster. I've heard the convertible referred to as that? :D

Don
A true Roadster has no roof at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts