Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the new Chevy site, in the Corvette section under photo's click on the close up of the rear tire of the Yellow Z it states that the tires are rated at 205MPH and the car has a top speed of 198MPH.........That's 200 to me! :cheers: :guiness: :thumb: :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
:jawdrop: Yeah that's damn fast. Only wish I could get one! I also thought its amazing the Corvette technology of today considering the similarities between coupe and Z06....and only 47 pounds of weight difference. Performance difference considering the similarities of the c6 and c6z is just amazing. I also noticed that unlike our current Z06's the fuel REQUIRED is 93 octane! :z:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also under the LS7 info page -- it states that it does not incur a federal gas guzzler tax!!!!!!!!!! WHEEEE!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
NaplesZ06 said:
On the new Chevy site, in the Corvette section under photo's click on the close up of the rear tire of the Yellow Z it states that the tires are rated at 205MPH and the car has a top speed of 198MPH.........That's 200 to me! :cheers: :guiness: :thumb: :D
Like I said before, a few people that I talked to said this car is going to be rated at 198 due to insurance purposes, but this is a 200mph car, and has gone over 200 mph on various test tracks.

:guiness:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Zlicious said:
Like I said before, a few people that I talked to said this car is going to be rated at 198 due to insurance purposes, but this is a 200mph car, and has gone over 200 mph on various test tracks.

200! There is a lot going on when a car approaches this number! It is indeed a very hard number to reach safely, and with stability and control. You know what I'm saying?! There are a good number of cars that reach 200, but it is scarry as hell, and not a place you want to be, a bit like putting one's hand in the fire. Nonetheless, you could be right about the insurance thing, but I haven't known a manufacturer worry about such a thing. Is this something you want to believe like me- or is there more to back up your claim?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know there is a BIG difference between 176 and 200 but i have been 176 in my c6 and it feels pretty stable. Not sure i would want to go too much past that though. 200 has to be damn scary

·
Registered
449 Posts
Only takes a squirrel running across the road to end that ride in disaster. Down here I been over the top of a 6' gator tail before (even with fenced roads it's dangerous).

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Zlicious said:

·
Registered
384 Posts
So when do you use 6th gear?

Autobhan speeds only....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
FRC Tom said:
i'm pretty sure top in 5th is 212.

there's got to be more to figure in such as tires, rims, ect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If somone could tell me how to attach a file I could share my analysis from my vehicle dynamics class, which was done on the 2005 Z51 Corvette. The results were:

0-60 mph: 4.21 sec
0-100 mph: 8.75 sec
Top Speed: 185+ mph
1/4 Mile: 12.36 sec

This is under ideal conditions and considers drag coefficient, frontal area, rolling resistance, weight, gear ratios, engine dyno characteristics, etc. It is just a simple model done as a homework assignment, but it covers the basics and is fairly accurate it seems. Someone let me know how to attach the spreadsheet, I can email it to someone if that works.

Get me the Z's drag coefficient, weight, engine dyno (torque vs. rpm), tire sizes, etc and I can modify it and see what we come up with.

Eddie (mechanical engineer)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
100 extra horsepower - 400 extra rpm and a taller 5th gear... how can 200mph still be a surprise to so many people?

There are quite a number of 200mph C5's ... maybe now those folks will be believed ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
constren said:
Only takes a squirrel running across the road to end that ride in disaster. Down here I been over the top of a 6' gator tail before (even with fenced roads it's dangerous).
Yeah we got those in the St John's as well. But biggest problem I have is the deer and the damn armadillos. Been to 146MPH on SR 46, only in the day, and still ... one of those little bastards and its all over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts