Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Oh NO, what did I do to my clutch? HELP!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Gordy M 
#1 ·
I'm in panic mode here folks and really need someone's help! :(

I had heard about all the improvements for the 02 clutch, and was hoping all would be well, but I think I really screwed something up bad.

I had my car out last night, stopped at a light, and decided for some reason that it was time to do a really good burnout off the line. All I had done previously was a gentle 2000 rpm drop - where the engine just bogs down and you get a little tire "chirp". This time I decided I was going for some wheelspin. So I revved it up to about 3000 rpm, dropped the clutch and at the same time floored it (tc/ah off). I was fully prepared for the car to leap forward, maybe even a little sideways. Instead, the engine revved to about 4200 rpm and stayed there. I held it for about 3 seconds - all the while at about 4200 rpm, thinking I must be getting some awesome wheelspin for the lack of forward motion...decided it was time to shift to 2nd to get the thing rolling a little faster (I was doing about 30mph at that point). Lifted and shifted to 2nd gear, then floored it again. Same thing, engine goes to about 4200 rpm.....well I know for sure this can't be right after about a second, so I let off. Then that aweful burning clutch lining smell hit me and my heart sank! I smelled it for about the next 2 miles of slow driving. Oh I am so bummed.

So what the heck did I do to the clutch, and what should I do about it? I can't imagine that this is normal....the clutch shouldn't have slipped like that should it? My friend suggested that perhaps since the car only has 1100miles on it that the clutch wasn't fully broken in, so the linings didn't have a full contact surface. I'm now wondering if I didn't glaze the linings badly and mess up the clutch, necessitating replacement.

I drove the car back home last night and it seems to be ok, but I'm worried about the long term effects and I certainly don't want that to happen again. I can't imagine that the dealer is going to be able to do anything about it if it's not a consistent problem.

Any comments? Anyone have a similar problem? What should I do about it?

Thanks,
Todd

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
N4C5S said:
Ouch :eek:

c4c5 is in Carlisle so he won't be on soon.....hopefully someone can offer assistance.

Lamb, can you cut that sig to max 450x60 and 15k? It's blowing out my tables :)

Thanks and good luck

JC
Thanks JC.

Is that sig pic better? Smallest I could get it - the 60 is a little short.

Todd

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Oh NO, what did I do to my clutch? HELP!

Z11409 said:
<< Its possiable that you have the dreaded hydraulic release problem in your slave cyl. or a restriction in the line from the clutch cylinder to the slave cyl.Did the pedal stick to the floor or come up only about 1/2 way???
Wow, never heard of that problem before...does it happen often?

I'm pretty sure the pedal came up all the way - it for sure wasn't on the floor and I don't think it was "lazy" since putting my foot back on the clutch for the shift to second seemed like normal positioning.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice!:)

I've driven the car quite a bit and everything seems to be fine. However, if I have any more slippages I am going straight to the dealer.

The main things I have gathered from all this are:

1) the clutch takes quite a while to fully seat/break in.
2) once it's seated, it still won't lockup well at higher rpms with the power of the LS6.
3) a lot of people have done the same thing I did without any bad results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.