Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the oil and filter in my '02 Z06 at 1k miles. Put on the synthetic UPH44 filter and switched to Redline 10W-40 oil.

My owners manual says "6.5 qts" is the oil capacity w/ filter change, but this does not appear to be the case for the LS6.

I carefully checked and rechecked the dip stick and found that 6.5 qts is at least half a quart too low. I put in a full 7 qts. The dip stick now shows the oil about half way between the lower and upper limit lines for a full capacity. Another half a quart would probably take right up to the upper limit line on the stick.

I know this has come up before, but what's the story on this oil capacity issue? Why does the owners manual say "6.5 qts" is the full amount (including filter change) when it's actually closer to 7.5 qts? Is 7.0 qts sufficient (for everyday driving) or should I add some more to reach the upper fill line on the dip stick?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hi dsinned!

Just curious ... Did you fill your new filter before installation?

Dan

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigung86, no, I did not bother to do that. However, I did check and recheck the oil level after several engine start, warmup and shutdown cycles. After the first one, the filter would have refilled on its on.

By my estimate, I'd say the (U)PH44 filter holds about 1/4 qt of oil if that much. Even still after putting in the full 7 qts the dip stick level is still indicating about 1/2 qt low. I think the owners mnl is in error with respect to the LS6 engine oil capacity. However, 6.5 qts is probably about right for the other model C5 Corvettes with the standard LS1 engine.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This has been discused many times. Here is my take on it, GM says 6 1/2 qt, and has been quearied again again on it, and 6 1/2 is correct. The dip stick does read 1/2 qt low on the fill so the dip stick is wrong not 6 1/2 qt. IMO Ric

·
Registered
141 Posts
You're right, this topic has come up before. To summarize the results, if you put the car on a lift, pop the drain plug and filter, let it drain for 5 minutes, replace the plug and a new filter, and then fill it with 6.5 quarts, it will be to the top of the dip-stick. That's because 1/2 quart or more remains in the engine.

I jack up the front of my car, pop the drain plug and filter, let down the front and jack up the rear (the drain plug is on the front to the oil pan), let it drain for 15 minutes. I then lower the rear and let it sit for a couple minutes, jack the rear up again, etc, etc, more oil will come out by going up and down with the rear. If, after any oil stops coming out with this procedure, I put in the plug and a new filter (filled with oil), it takes 7+ quarts to get it to the full mark.

I surmize that getting all the oil out of the engine uses 1/2 to 3/4 quarts more for a fill. But the full mark is still the correct amount.

HTH.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 02 took 7 quarts when I changed the oil and filter. I remember reading posts a while back where I think most everyone was seeing 7 quarts and not 6 1/2.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine took 7 on the first change. Didn't the owners video or the manual say add an extra quart for racing? I assume an extra quart is for the oil being pushed to one side of the pan in a sustained turn or something like that. Point is, there is some flexability in the capacity. I just kept filling till she read full, 7 quarts on the nose.

Paul

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I let mine drain, butt high, for over an hour. It then took 7 qts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's the real kicker...many pre-01 models report that the 6.5 qts of oil refill reaches the MAX line on their dipsticks and that's with lifting their rears to get every bit of oil out. There were no changes to the oil pan/capacity of the LS1/LS6 from the '00 to the '0 1 model...only change was a redesign of the dipstick and dipstick tube (look at any '97-00 model and you will see the difference...about 6 inches closer to the firewall)...my conclusion...the dipstick for the '01 (and now '02s) is wrong.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Not this again!?! :D.

99% of the guys who lift the rear and drain the oil for a long time report 7 qts (with filter).

If you do a "Jiffy Lube" style oil change, its going to be closer to 6.5 qts (with filter).

7 qts on mine :D. My Z came from the factory with the oil at the 'Full" mark on the dipstick, and it takes 7 qts (with lifted rear, long drain) to get it back there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hossman is correct... the video which came with car claims you may add 1 qt for auto cross racing...add 7 and don't worry.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hossman said:
Mine took 7 on the first change. Didn't the owners video or the manual say add an extra quart for racing? I assume an extra quart is for the oil being pushed to one side of the pan in a sustained turn or something like that. Point is, there is some flexability in the capacity. I just kept filling till she read full, 7 quarts on the nose.

Paul
The extra qt for 'competion events' is to ensure the pan does not run low when hauling ass around 1 g corners (as you stated), and for the fact that the engine is most likely going to be running at high RPMs alot, which makes for alot of oil staying in the heads, etc.

So, if it takes 7 qts to make the dipstick read 'full' then adding another qt will actually mean there is 8 qts in the engine. Obviously, this is still below the point where the crank could froth up the oil, or GM wouldn't even state that you could add an extra quart when the engine was already at the 'full' mark on the dipstick :D.

Ya, I know some of you are going to say "but the dipstick is not calibrated correctly". Well, I would doubt that because if it was I'm sure GM would know, and we would be getting a new 'recalibrated' dipstick under a warranty recall :).

·
Registered
181 Posts
JimGreen said:
You're right, this topic has come up before. To summarize the results, if you put the car on a lift, pop the drain plug and filter, let it drain for 5 minutes, replace the plug and a new filter, and then fill it with 6.5 quarts, it will be to the top of the dip-stick. That's because 1/2 quart or more remains in the engine.

HTH.

Not at all the case with my Z06 oil changes and I'll post this question again. I let the dealer change my oil and we did not raise the front and rear ends to make sure all the oil was drained out. This being the case, if there is a 1/2 quart hiding somewhere in the engine why didn't my dipstick measure "full" after adding 6.5 qts?

History here:
<http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5807&highlight=02bluez06>

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
02Blue -- you said in your previous thread linked above:

"I changed the oil at ~500 miles. During the 1st 500 miles it was difficult for me to determine the exact oil level reading on my dipstick but it looked normal. Now with 1500 miles on my Z it's easier to read (?) and the dipstick reads half way between max and min. I've been watching it for the last 500 miles and it seems to be a constant reading. <phew> "

Well, I wouldn't call that a 'controlled test', because 1) you really didn't know for sure where the level was just after the first oil change, and 2) 1000 miles AFTER the oil change it showed 1/2 full. It is possible that some oil was buned over that 1000 miles.

The oil level needs to be checked just after the oil change to get a good handle on this issue. :D.

Like I said earlier, on my Z, if drained with rear end up ~4 inches, and letting it drain for 4+ hrs, it took exactly 7 qts to hit the 'full' mark on the dipstick (using UPF44 filter also). This is what almost everyone sees if drained in this manner. I'm not concerned at all :D.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Every one can and does what ever thay want, but GM says 6 1/2 is the corect amount, and more oil will slow you down IMO. If I ever road race I will put another quart in, but till than if 6 1/2 puts me at a dip stick reading of 1/2 qt low that is where I will keep mine. Ric

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
PowerShifter said:
Every one can and does what ever thay want, but GM says 6 1/2 is the corect amount, and more oil will slow you down IMO.
The only way its going to 'slow you down' is if the level it so high that the crankshaft starts splashing it. Obvously, that isn't going to happen with 7 qts, and even with 8 qts (1 overfull) if you believe GM.

Like I've said before in various threads on the 6.5 or 7 qt issue, I believe the GM manual is based on a "Jiffy Lube" sytle of oil change where its drained level for 10 minutes on level ground.

I forgot where I read it, but in the early stages of the LS1 engine, the oil capacity was increased, and baffles where designed into the block to help prevent oil pump starvation on high G corners. Obviously GM is well aware of the oil in the engine, and I would certainly think that when the dipstick says "full", thats where they want the level to be.

Who's our GM insider here?? -- Hib Halverson. Maybe he can get a call on this from GM easier than us pee-ons :D. If I could ask the GM engineer who knows anything about it, I would first verify that the oil capacity between oil changes called out is based on the quick "Jiffy Lube" oil changed procedure :D. My bet is that it is :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

The only way its going to 'slow you down' is if the level it so high that the crankshaft starts splashing it. Obvously, that isn't going to happen with 7 qts, and even with 8 qts (1 overfull) if you believe GM.

Like I've said before in various threads on the 6.5 or 7 qt issue, I believe the GM manual is based on a "Jiffy Lube" sytle of oil change where its drained level for 10 minutes on level ground.

I forgot where I read it, but in the early stages of the LS1 engine, the oil capacity was increased, and baffles where designed into the block to help prevent oil pump starvation on high G corners. Obviously GM is well aware of the oil in the engine, and I would certainly think that when the dipstick says "full", thats where they want the level to be.

Who's our GM insider here?? -- Hib Halverson. Maybe he can get a call on this from GM easier than us pee-ons :D. If I could ask the GM engineer who knows anything about it, I would first verify that the oil capacity between oil changes called out is based on the quick "Jiffy Lube" oil changed procedure :D. My bet is that it is :)

:cheers:
If GM power train says 6 1/2qt is the right amount will that satisfy you? Because that is what thay say. I can not belive you are more concernd with the dip stick reading than what the engion designer said the right amount is. To each his own but geeeez. Ric

·
Registered
282 Posts
PowerShifter said:
If GM power train says 6 1/2qt is the right amount will that satisfy you? Because that is what thay say. I can not belive you are more concernd with the dip stick reading than what the engion designer said the right amount is. To each his own but geeeez. Ric
Then why is the factory putting in 7 qt? :roll:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts