Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

One of the board members posted that I should have changed the oil by the time I hit 1200. I have not done so yet, but I do plan to have it done as soon as I can. Does anyone here do their own oil changes? If so, how hard/easy is it to do this?

(I apologize if this topic has already been covered here before, but I am relatively new to this board)

Thanks in advance,
- loucas

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That was me loucas /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Actually that is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I plan to follow a plan similar to what Hib H. recommends. You can search the archives for his thoughts.

Changing the oil on the Z06 is really no more difficult than any other car. The right tools make the job easier obviously.

Good luck and enjoy the forum. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just changed the oil in mine for the first time yesterday at 2400 miles. I used Rhino Ramps and jacked up the rear end and placed jack stands under the rear for safety. I had to go get a filter cap wrench (2 1/8"-3 1/8")to get the filter off because the filter wrench I had was too big. Used a 15mm box wrench on the oil drain plug and let the oil drain for over 30 minutes. I even installed the CAGS Eliminator while the oil was draining. The whole process is real easy, but it is a little snug under the car with just the Rhino Ramps. I hand tightened the new filter as snug as I could with one of those rubber jar openers. The book recommends 22 ft. pds. but I don't see any leaks yet from my hand tightening. Added 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and was done.

Andy

S

·
0 Posts
Is it suppose to be 6.5 quarts or 7? I just checked after the car sat 24 hours (I know, it's a crime to let a Z06 sit that long), after an oil change with 6.5 quarts, and it looked 1/2 quart low. The dealer says 6.5 (don't dog me too bad, my dealer is pretty cool).

Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts

On 2001-07-28 16:38, AgentZ06 spewed forth this drivel:
Changing the oil on the Z06 is really no more difficult than any other car.
I have to disagree somewhat. There are a couple of things to remember when changing the oil in any C5. The rear should be higher than the front to make sure that all the oil drains out. You also must allow enough time for the oil to drain into the oil pan before starting the engine after refilling it. I usually allow 15 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts