Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions as to changing the oil prior to or after a track event/lapping? I usually put in half quart before an event but I noticed I'm at 18% and basically a few weeks away from my change, my question is should I do before my event next week or wait until after, or does it really not matter? Everything else is good to go. Thanks, Jo Ann

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
? 18% used? The DIC says 82% percent remaining or 18% remaining? If mine was at 18% remaining I would change the oil before the track time and then see how low it is afterwards. If I needed to add a couple of quarts afterwards then I would probably fudge it and change the oil after another 1500 miles, about half my normal change.

But what do I know, I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. lol JMO.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey Jo Ann,

What track event is happening next week? I live in S. Fl and am always looking for motorsport events in the area. Test-n-tune in Moroso?

As for the oil change, if you have 18% oil life remaining... change the oil before the event. If it does say that then I am guessing that you are one of the few that follow the owners manual and do long interval changes.

One way to think of it is this... with only 18% life remaining, the effectiveness of your oil has degraded to minimum standards. Under normal driving conditions you may be able to make it to the next change without problems. Under track conditions, your engine has less protection with degraded oil. If you were to have fresh oil in the car, under track conditions would be the time you'd most want the freshest fill possible.

For me, I feel oil is cheap insurance. I follow an old rule of 2000-3000 miles between changes or around every 3 months. At least thats how I treated my motorcycles and I guess it carried over to my "weekend" car. I only have 4400 miles in one year and have already changed the oil 4 times.

Don

vettechic said:
Any opinions as to changing the oil prior to or after a track event/lapping? I usually put in half quart before an event but I noticed I'm at 18% and basically a few weeks away from my change, my question is should I do before my event next week or wait until after, or does it really not matter? Everything else is good to go. Thanks, Jo Ann

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Oil Change before track day?

don527 said:
Hey Jo Ann,

What track event is happening next week? I live in S. Fl and am always looking for motorsport events in the area. Test-n-tune in Moroso?

Don, Sebring with Safe Motorsports is on the 7th. I don't do test-n-tune, but we also do Moroso's road course. Are you familiar with SAFE and CHIN?

As for my oil I definitly now will change before, I'm pretty fanatical with changing every 3000 which with all my driving usually coresponds with my oil life monitor. I also do brake fluid and check everything else before. I just want to be on top of things. Thanks:)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Oil Change before track day?

I'm not familiar with those two events.. are there websites that you can give for explanations? are they like autox?

Don

vettechic said:
don527 said:
Don, Sebring with Safe Motorsports is on the 7th. I don't do test-n-tune, but we also do Moroso's road course. Are you familiar with SAFE and CHIN?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts