Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to change my oil this weekend. Am I gonna need some kind of wrench to get the old filter off, or should I be able to do it by hand? In screwing on the new filter I've heard to snug it up and then go another 1/4 turn .. is this correct?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Jerry:

Suggest you read the owner's manual before doing your first oil change.

If you want to use the Premium Delco UltraGard Gold filter (UPF-44) the GM part number is 25329389, and the p.n. for a magnetic oil pan drain plug is 88891787.

You SHOULD be able to loosen the filter by hand, BUT sometimes removing the original filter is very difficult because it was over-tightened, or someone forgot to smear a thin coat of oil on the gasket. Fortunately, the PF-444 filter is easy to access, and most auto parts/discount stores sell the appropriate filter wrench.

BTW, don't forget to pre-fill your replacement filter with oil to minimize the time your engine runs without oil......and be sure to re-check the oil level about half an hour AFTER re-filling since you want to allow enough time for the oil to completely drain down.

Hope this helps!

ZIPPY :cheers:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
The factory installed filter on my 01 ZO6 was the tightest oil filter I ever removed in my life. Please note that if you use the Premium Delco UltraGard Gold filter (UPF-44) it does NOT use the same size filter socket. I would suggest getting a filter socket to remove the original filter. Mobil 1 5w30 only. If you have a Target near you they have Mobil 1 for $3 a Qt here just south of Atlanta. Here is a link that I followed:

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/oilchange.php

Many people disagree on the amount of oil to add. The manual says 6.5qts but alot of people including myself have found that if you raise the rear of the car higher than the front and get all of the oil out it will take 7qts to get it to the full line.

If you decide to use the rhino ramps place a piece of carpet or a towel under the ramps and leave enough of it sticking out aft of the ramp. That way the tires will pull the carpet/towel and the ramp towards the car and the ramps will not slide fwd.

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The factory installed filter on my 01 ZO6 was the tightest oil filter I ever removed in my life.
:lol: :lol: You too....Damn who put them on Arnold Schwarzenegger:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
originally posted by gmblack3:
"The manual says 6.5qts but alot of people including myself have found that if you raise the rear of the car higher than the front and get all of the oil out it will take 7qts to get it to the full line."

Hi gmblack3,
I had the dealer change my oil last Friday and it was raised on a lift and kept level. No exceptions were made to cause more oil to flow out. After draining, the customary 6.5qts of oil were added, filter was pre-loaded, and the dipstick read half-way between add and full. If there was a 1/2 qt of oil hiding somewhere in the rear of the engine, shouldn't my dipstick have read full? Just curious. :)

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't have access to a lift, if I did I would like to try a level drain to see how many qts would take to get it to the full line. Seems like your would take 7 qts to get it to the full line.

Will you keep it between the lines with the 6.5qts or add oil to get it to the full line?

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Silly question, but...

an important one. :)

Where are the "jacking points" on this car? I've got several low-profile jacks and I do 95% of my own wrench work, including pulling motors, etc.

But when I get this car I do not want to lift it using an improper technique. I'm shocked some of you are using ramps, unless they are a kind that is super, low-profile.

Thanks for any insight you guys could offer.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did get the oil changed with only minor inconvenience. I used a Kwiklift, which is really easy to use and leaves plenty of room under the car. I had to drive a screwdriver thru the original filter to get enough leverage to loosen it since I didn't have the right filter cap wrench to fit (why do the PF44 and the UPF44 need different wrenches ?????) Left it drain for 2-3 hours with the rear about 2 inches higher than the front. Prefilled the new filter AND added 6.5 quarts. The oil level STILL seemed a little low, but by then the oil was cool so I'm going to final-check it tonite when I get home.

The filter took a bit less than a pint. When people talk about putting in 6.5 vs 7 quarts is that INCLUDING the oil in the filter or in ADDITION to the oil in the filter???

BTW ... with brand new oil, the dipstick is again nearly impossible to read. Maybe someone should manufacture a dye we could add to the oil so we can see it on the dipstick. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jerry, I also did my oil change this week-end and that @!?% filter was a bitch to get off and it took channel locks to get it off. It took 7 qts of 5w 30 Mobil 1 with a pf44 filter to get to the full mark.

I did my own test by having the oil drain whith the Z front and back at level then put a new oil drip pan down then lifting the backend up about 3 inches above the front and got another 1/2 qt out.

I hope this helps, Good Luck to You:cheers:

·
Registered
181 Posts
gmblack3 said:
Thanks for the info. I don't have access to a lift, if I did I would like to try a level drain to see how many qts would take to get it to the full line. Seems like your would take 7 qts to get it to the full line.

Will you keep it between the lines with the 6.5qts or add oil to get it to the full line?

Hi gmblack3,
Yes, I plan on using only 6.5 qts which gives a dipstick reading half-way between add and full on my Z06. I will do this until Chevy makes a change to the recommended oil amounts needed to fill the engine or until I experience or hear reports of issues using only 6.5 qts.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Torque it up!

My Chevy dealer drained the car from drive on ramps and put in 6.5 quarts at my request. He used a torque wrench to install the new UPF44 filter. Nice touch that! Checked it three times and it was reading low. I added the remaining half quart and that brought it to the full mark.

Pep Boys sells some ramps with extenders which makes it possible to use them with your Z06. Z06Y Lady :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Same deal here - mine was insanely tight from the factory. I think GM employs Godzilla to tighten the dang oil filters.

I put the new one back on "hand tight + just a bit tighter".

·
Registered
181 Posts
originally posted by Jerry Velders:
"The filter took a bit less than a pint. When people talk about putting in 6.5 vs 7 quarts is that INCLUDING the oil in the filter or in ADDITION to the oil in the filter???

Hi Jerry Velders,
My findings were based on the oil filter being pre-loaded and using 6.5 qts of oil. So the 6.5 qts installed includes the oil in the filter.

HTH,
02BlueZ06

1 - 13 of 13 Posts