Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Hit the 1900 mark on the new Z06 and took it in for the first oil change at the local Chevy Dealer. I usuallt buy the Mobil 1 and filter at a discount($30) then have the shop ddo the change and lube ($10). This time I didn't have time to shop and went to the dealer and told him "Lube, Filter, & Oil Change and use your Mobil 1 " as advertised.

Bill came to $70!!!!!

Worse yet the next day (Saturday) I washed it and opened the hood to dry out the channels and found drops of oil all over the right hand cowl. It first appeared that the attendant was a little messy with the dip stick and or oil fill. wipeg it off and preceded to dry off the inside hood edge. THE TOWEL SNAGGED ON THE BACK EDGE AND INNER BRACING NEAR THE LOCATER PIN HOLE!! TO MY HORROR THE INNER SUPPORT FRAME WAS CRACKED!!!! It appears now that the attendant slammed the hood with an empty Mobil 1 container laying on the cowl.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Unfortunately, public linchings are illegal!! I'm afraid I would have to take it back to the dealer and climb down his throat!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

·
Registered
138 Posts
Public Hangings may be illegal, but in some states you can shoot the guy and only get a parking ticket for it. Just make sure the judge is a Vette owner.

Seriously, I'm curious about what your dealer says and does about this. Please let us know the outcome, and welcome to the forum.

D

·
0 Posts
OUCH Sounds like once bitten....I have always believed the LEAST # of times my toys get out of my sight the better. If you choose not to change oil etc yourself, at least be there when it's done..A lot of times you get Elmer, the service managers nephew who might be having a bad day etc....
I also would go back and voice my strong concern!! In closing, great car huh???

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr DJ:

Very sorry to hear about the dealer mishap!
If it were me, I would post the name of the dealership on every forum I know of.
We all make mistakes, and have accidents, but that was plain stupid! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Welcome to the forum. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I just had mine at the dealer this past Friday for an oil change with no problems. It was $50 plus he gave me the 1/2 qt of Mobile 1 that completed the 7 qts.
They have one guy that only works on vettes. He has one guy that does all of his oil changes on vettes. His lift has a huge full length window next to it for viewing the work being done. That is where I like to watch from. This guy is also pretty good about using fresh rags and being extra careful when he is doing the work. At least he is while I am standing there.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. One positive note: 70.00 is about normal for a full Mobil One oil change and filter, dealer installed. You can certainly get it done for less yourself. I would go back and give the dealer hell, and make them fix it.
Some dealers use lot boys to change the oil freeing up mechanics for the more profitible work. I know because the local Chevy dealer where I live tried to do it on my 97 Coupe a couple of years ago. I watched in horror as a kid drove my car up on a drive up ramp (thankfully) to do the change.
I now take my car to a small ASE certified shop where I get my company cars serviced, and "help" their mechanic change it. He also knows the proper way to do it. It takes us a good 1/2 hour or more. I make sure to tip him for the extra attention. Last time in, he put in a free magnetic oil plug for me.
I hate to say this, but I would never take my car to the dealer, unless I had to. Hope they make it right for you.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ouch! $70 bucks? I'm getting my oil changed at Fox in Laurel, MD where I bought my Z06 this Friday. I was going to change it myself, but no time and it's already paid for. (The dealer gave me a year of scheduled maintenance when I bought my car so I'll let him do this first one and see how it goes.) I'm hoping they do a good job. Hopefully I'll be able to watch them. And as many of you have mentioned, I'm going to replace the opil pan drain plug with a magnetic one.

By the way, FOX sent me a letter reminding me about scheduled maintenance and how important it is and enclosed a coupon for an oil & Filter change for $19.50. It didn't exclude Corvettes so I probably would have used it if they weren't already paying for it. I think it must have been a form letter because their other mailers advertise an oil and filter change for the same price, but they excludes Corvettes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts