Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got my oil changed yesterday with a tad under 1000 miles on her.The guy who works for chevy has a reputation for being a top gun with the vette set.He was kind enough to let me stand next to the car to watch(What Fun).He told me make sure to let the oil drain for a full 20 minutes.Before he was going to put on the delco gold oil filter he filled the filter with oil first.I asked him how much oil my Z takes his answer 6 1/2 quarts.I don't drive the car much and he recommended changing the oil every 6 months because once the oil is in the block it starts to break down if sitting.Well hope these tip help the do it yourself-ers, Greg.

:)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Like I had said in another thread, find a reputable quick lube that uses the Powerdrain system, and you will be drained in less than 3 minutes. And you will NEVER have to worry about plug thread wear at the pan !!

They cost about $9.95, and hook up to an air assisted evac system. We have been selling them at our shop for 7+ years with nothing but positive results.

JMHO.........:cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Z000006, I looked into one of those systems, but was told that a tube cannot get to the bottom of the oil pan because of the baffling and thus you can't get every bit of oil out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mark S. said:
Z000006, I looked into one of those systems, but was told that a tube cannot get to the bottom of the oil pan because of the baffling and thus you can't get every bit of oil out.

It is a drain plug evac, not a dipsticktube........I will post i jpg when I can find one.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Plug thread wear? I believe the torque on those plugs is 18 lb/ft. How could anything ever wear out?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
Plug thread wear? I believe the torque on those plugs is 18 lb/ft. How could anything ever wear out?
I have operated a quick lube franchise for 13+ years, and service 20,000+ vehicles annually.....I have seen it all!

If a plug is over tightened, it can start to damage the threads in the pan. Late model Jeeps and Chryslers have crap for factory plugs, and are inherently flawed, and if not replaced within 4-5 oil changes, will start to damage the pan. Hondas/Acuras are the worst. They have an aluminum washer that if not replaced every service will and do lead to pan replacement. Drain plug washers not only prevent leaks, they set a cushion for the amount torque placed on the plug.

Anyway, the Powerdrain can stop any potential problem/warranty pertaining to the Drain plug, and washer.....:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi Z000006,

Since I live in WA area, can I change my oil at your place or a place that you can recommend?

Thanks,
Tambeng

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not only letting the oil drain for 20 mins and fill the filter up with oil before installed. I also add in 1/2 quart of clean oil to flush out all the old oil, then jack up the rear end and let it drain until I see no oil drip out anymore.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Z0000006 said:

I have operated a quick lube franchise for 13+ years, and service 20,000+ vehicles annually.....I have seen it all!
So thats the problem, it's those quick lube mechs wearing out those drain plugs:lol: :lol:
Just kidding, I know what you're saying. When too many different people change your oil over a period of time I guess I could see how this could happen (good help is hard to find sometimes). But a competent mechanic that changes his own oil, knows how to read and use a torque wrench, should never have a problem.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
tambeng said:
Hi Z000006,

Since I live in WA area, can I change my oil at your place or a place that you can recommend?

Thanks,
Tambeng
We would be happy to take care of your needs......

We will have the Mobil-1 M1-107 filters in stock by the end of next week, and we usually always have Pennzoil Synthetic(which meets GM requirements), and Mobil 1 in 10-30 weight.

Give me a call in the AM at my home office and I can give you some more specifics.

:guiness: mmmmmm that Mobil 1 sure tastes good!

·
Registered
620 Posts
ddle,

That's incredibly anal.

I like it!

Dave

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oil Siphon

Anyone have any suggestions for extracting the extra oil out of the crankcase after a day of open tracking?

I usually put in about 1 - 1.5 extra quarts to run on the track. Afterwards, I'd like to drain out the extra oil before driving home...(trailer...who needs a trailer???).

Is there some kind of fitting that can be placed onto the top of the dipstick and the oil siphoned out without having to stick a tube (which would most likely melt anyway) into the crankcase?

Z06...How u doin'? :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You can purchase a hand siphon from NAPA, and adapt some type of Skinny wand to it.....Just bring along a couple of empty quarts, so you know how much you are taking out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Only a 5/32" OD tube will fit down into the crankcase and I haven't found any tubing that will not melt with this spec. I tried locating copper tubing with no luck either.

I wasn't sure if an adapter and tubing existed that could withstand the high oil temps (high 200's)...

Any product suggestions???? I would like to avoid having to drain the quart or so of extra oil from the bottom of the car each time....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts