Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a DRM oil cooler installed on my car. When changing the oil, how do you get the old oil out of the oil cooler?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The best you can do is remove the bottom fitting where the line attaches to the cooler and let it drain. That would be pretty messy IMO. I just change it per normal. What you have left in the system is about 3/4 a quart that is in the lower line and the radiator. I just risk it as it is mixing with 7 1/4 fresh qts of synthetic Mobil 1.

If I was thinking I would have put a quick disconnect in the lines where they go by the sway bar area. I think DMTNT used something like this for his rear trans cooler set-up. This way you could disconnect the lines like an air hose and it would drain both lines and the radiator. Wonder why I didn't think of that before I installed it. Now I have to check, I think I have enough slack to add it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob,
Some will drain out do to the height of the cooler above the bottom of the pan, but depending on the routing of your lines, there will be pockets that don't drain. I wouldn't worry about it.

On a related note, be sure to check the level after adding oil and starting the car for a few seconds as you may lose a quart or so refilling the lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts